Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have read my original Copart build thread at the end of 2016 and through earlier this year. If not, it's here.

My family has been thoroughly enjoying our RZR, but there are 4 of us, so I either wanted to get a 4 door or another 2 door so we could all ride together.

I placed a bid last week on a 2015 900s thinking I was bidding too low to win. Turns out, no one really bid against me and the seller released the reserve and accepted my bid. Wow, that never happens, so maybe I just bought a turd.

Like the last build, I'll post my progress here and we'll find out together if I got the gold mine or the shaft. I'll post my winning bid and $ spent at the end of the project.

Here's how it looks now:

If you know this RZR's former owner and/or the story behind the wreck, please reply!

·
Premium Member
7,246 Posts
Looks like it had a limit after all!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
738 Posts
Shoot, that'll buff out. If the frame isnt tweaked its a few days work to change out the suspension parts and cage and put the broken/missing pieces back on. We took a 800 down to the bare frame, rebuilt the transmission and motor and had it back together in a few days.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like it had a limit after all!
Ha!!! That's exactly what I said!

Overall, I don't think the damage is that bad. Busted radiator, broken a-arm and needs some plastic and other small parts. The brackets on the front end are only slightly bent, so I'm thinking for now there's no major frame issues.

My rebuild budget is $1,200.

So far, I've ordered a used radiator and fan for $150.
New front fascia, radiator shroud, all 4 fenders and random bolts and brackets for just under $500.

That's $650 of my $1,200. With $550 left, I just need to figure out the wheels/tires (repair or find takeoffs), front suspension and of course, change all fluids. Right now, assuming no major issues, I think I'll be okay on budget.

PMs sent on part offers!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally made room in the garage for the new project.
Pulled the trashed plastic and lower a-arms on the front - both were damaged. Passenger front lower ball joint is completely gone and of course, axle is broken.

Carnage Pics:
Busted front plastic

Broken Suspension:

Here's how it sits now, minus lower front a-arms. That's my helper. He's only 3, but he knows his tools. He also thinks this RZR is all his...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had some free time tonight, so I removed the smashed radiator and fan and then installed the used set I ordered from ebay. The top radiator brackets were bent pretty bad, so instead of spending another $30, I hammered them as straight as I could. I'll know when I install the new front fascia if they'll work okay. This is my budget build, so saving every dime I can here...

here's busted radiator

New (to me) radiator in place. My hammered brackets on top in place.

Since the suspension is down and front fascia is off, I went ahead and changed the front diff/drive fluid since I could reach it easily. Waiting on my suspension parts to come in to finish the front end.

Build Tally:
Hours Wrenching: 3
Beers Consumed: 5
$ on Parts: $850 (fenders, front fascia, suspension, radiator)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have A-arms if you haven't found any yet.
take offs. I put SuperATV's on mine.
Thanks, really appreciate it. I found a full suspension take-off set last week; although, it's red arms versus my stock black ones. Hoping to get everything swapped out this weekend, but trying to decide if I care enough about the red to swap out the full suspension.

·
Premium Member
7,246 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Had a crazy busy weekend doing tree work around the house, but managed to sneak into the garage for two hours to finish up the suspension and mount the wheels.

She's still a mess, but she runs and drives! This was the first time I could move it around the garage/yard as all 4 wheels and tires were flat. I found a guy about an hour from me that had a set of take off RZR 1k wheels (0 miles). Got a crazy good deal here...at least I think so.

From this pic its hard to tell, but the passenger side of the cage is bent in a bit (about 1"), so it makes the entire top seem lopsided. It's still functional, but I'm going to spend some time thinking about how I want to address this issue.

Side view. Wheels/tires are the best thing about this one RZR currently.

I drove the RZR around my neighborhood and quickly realized there are NO brakes! Okay, there's enough brake pressure to start the RZR, but not enough to stop it...especially with the new 29" tires. Next garage session I'm going to change all of the fluids and flush the brakes.

I do have an exhaust question for the forum. The exhaust on this RZR is LOUD and the muffler has a larger exit pipe. Is there a common exhaust swap that folks do for these? My other RZR is quiet. This one sounds like a dragon purring at idle. It sounds good, but man is it loud. I'll definitely need to adjust this.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts