Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Vendor
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Todd, in he theme of keeping dirt from entering my engine I used the Desert Molding Products rubber seals with stock A/F. I then ducted the intake tube up throught the bed behind the driver with a large K&N and outerwear similar to the BMP intake setup. Do you have any experience tuning this setup. I am interested in how if any this affected performance.
You have a stock filter and the k&n?

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Yes both. Eliminated the resonator
Why double filter, it provides a restriction.

I would filter a K&N though they let too much dirt thru.

I would remove the k&N it does not do anything
Totally agree; emphatically, actually. If you must add anything, then add an OuterWear pre-filter sock to your stock, OEM paper-micron filter. However, and with that said, ANY filter whatsoever added upstream of the throttle-body will, without exception, add some amount of flow-restriction, contrary to what so many vendors and aftermarket suppliers would have us all believe. Unfortunately, if you are going to operate in an off-road environment, YOU MUST HAVE AN ADEQUATE AIR-FILTER! The problem then becomes one of sorting through all the vendor bullshit, trying to find one that restricts air-flow the least, and for that, there is ONLY ONE definitive arbitrator; it's called a flow-bench. Any manufacturer or vendor that claims that their intake-system and/or filter will provide improved (over stock) air-flow, should be more-than-happy to provide flow-bench charts and data to support their claims, along with detailed particulars regarding the flow-bench set-up they used to attain those data. Anything less should be regarded as highly suspect, if not just outright erroneous bullshit! My two-bits........

Cheers

·
Vendor
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yes both. Eliminated the resonator
Why double filter, it provides a restriction.

I would filter a K&N though they let too much dirt thru.

I would remove the k&N it does not do anything
Totally agree; emphatically, actually. If you must add anything, then add an OuterWear pre-filter sock to your stock, OEM paper-micron filter. However, and with that said, ANY filter whatsoever added upstream of the throttle-body will, without exception, add some amount of flow-restriction, contrary to what so many vendors and aftermarket suppliers would have us all believe. Unfortunately, if you are going to operate in an off-road environment, YOU MUST HAVE AN ADEQUATE AIR-FILTER! The problem then becomes one of sorting through all the vendor bullshit, trying to find one that restricts air-flow the least, and for that, there is ONLY ONE definitive arbitrator; it's called a flow-bench. Any manufacturer or vendor that claims that their intake-system and/or filter will provide improved (over stock) air-flow, should be more-than-happy to provide flow-bench charts and data to support their claims, along with detailed particulars regarding the flow-bench set-up they used to attain those data. Anything less should be regarded as highly suspect, if not just outright erroneous bullshit! My two-bits........

Cheers
And to add to this, just cause some intake flows better does make it perform better.

Example: new intake flows 200 cfm!!! Who cares, my engine will only flow 100 so what is the extra 100 for???

Too many times vendors or manufacturers claim all this extra flow but if the engine can not digest it what good is it?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts