Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the HP gain with a BB kit vs turbo stock motor? I am thinking if I went BB kit I may need some other mods to make use of the larger bore and cam can that be done with a re-map or new controller. I would like to gain more power from my stock 08 motor and low end snap is what I want. I have been reading a ton on here about turbos and trying to get it all figured out. I want to spend my money wisely to get the most HP for the $$. I hate the thought of spending half what I paid for the machine to get it to run a little faster but I need more speed. I like to hill climb in the dunes and chase the kids on dune trails with their quads.

Mike

·
De Oppresso Liber
1,682 Posts
I am thinking if I went BB kit I may need some other mods to make use of the larger bore and cam can that be done with a re-map or new controller. I would like to gain more power from my stock 08 motor and low end snap is what I want.
The great thing about the Holz Stage 3 Big Bore kit is that it is the only truly long term tested and complete Big Bore kit out there. It comes with everything you need to make the upgrade to more performance without having to experiment on your dime and time to make everything work together right. The Clutching, ECM, Exhaust, etc is all dialed in to work with one another so it really is a bolt on and go system. All the other BB kits leave it up to you to figure all the clutching and ECM, exhaust variables out, which can get expensive and require a lot of your time. The HOLZ Dyno chart clearly shows you what HP and torque is produced using their kit in specific configurations. My seat of the pants evaluation from stock to Stage 3 kit performance is that it delivers across the board from low end to top end increase in power and torque.

I want to spend my money wisely to get the most HP for the $$. I hate the thought of spending half what I paid for the machine to get it to run a little faster but I need more speed.
Mike
Having just made this jump myself, I can say that I looked into all the options out there and the Holz Stage 3 Big Bore kit is the best kit you can buy if you want dependability and ease of maintenance with the gain in performance. Everything else out there requires you to figure part combinations out on your own or is so fickle that you have to tune it and adjust it before every ride, sometimes at the expense of a blown engine or parts.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just like Lou, I did the research for months and finally decided on the Holz Stage 3.

I am amazed at the results. I mostly decided on the big bore instead of the turbo because I want to do some racing and I just accepted the fact that I would be probably beat by the turbos in the dunes. To my surprise, I can run with all the turbos I've come across so far.

The power is smooth and predictable and pulls hard all the way to top. There is no guess work at all and if you get the stage 3 with the Muzzys exhaust, there's not even anything else to add. They just have it all worked out.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did some searches which in hind site I should have done to start with and see a lot of good things said about the Holz kit. I will have to let moma cool off after ordering my LT kit the other day before laying down that much $$.

Thanks Mike

·
Just kidding!
10,754 Posts
I dont know what Mark Holz had in his rzr besides the stage III kit but my trubo rzr couldnt keep up with him at the drag strip.He beat me 2 times in a row 1 time by 2 car lengths and the second race by 1 car length.I was very impressed.Thats my argument when they say Turbo's arent allowed to race in most organizations.You can make a NA race motor just as fast.If you try making anymore HP then what they make now they both are unreliable and no good for racing. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
12,793 Posts
Drag racing and hill climbing are very different.......while duning on a general ride the stock RZR will keep pace with the turbo's no problem.........but, if you want to pull some fast runs up Olds or china, the turbo will shine. Not to take anything away from the Holz BB, it's a well put together setup but it's no turbo. The reliability of the turbo engine can be held in high regard as well provided you run within reason........My 2009 RZR-s has 2100 boosted miles on it with all stock components.....I just finished putting in a set of low compression forged pistons in it last week.........running 10psi of boost it should hold up for along time to come.
I welcome the Holz fans to come do some hill climbing with us in glamis in October.......I will put my wife's MCX beside your big bore and see how the power to dollar ratio works out........:)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Drag racing and hill climbing are very different.......while duning on a general ride the stock RZR will keep pace with the turbo's no problem.........but, if you want to pull some fast runs up Olds or china, the turbo will shine. Not to take anything away from the Holz BB, it's a well put together setup but it's no turbo. The reliability of the turbo engine can be held in high regard as well provided you run within reason........My 2009 RZR-s has 2100 boosted miles on it with all stock components.....I just finished putting in a set of low compression forged pistons in it last week.........running 10psi of boost it should hold up for along time to come.
I welcome the Holz fans to come do some hill climbing with us in glamis in October.......I will put my wife's MCX beside your big bore and see how the power to dollar ratio works out........:)
Just to be clear, I'm not saying I'm beating the turbos, but I'm running right with them unlike before when it was a total embarrassment.
And I sure as hell hope you can beat a Holz with 10 psi and low comp pistons. I would be really disappointed if you couldn't. 6 or 7 psi would probably beat me up China Wall but not by much.

·
Premium Member
12,793 Posts
Just to be clear, I'm not saying I'm beating the turbos, but I'm running right with them unlike before when it was a total embarrassment.
And I sure as hell hope you can beat a Holz with 10 psi and low comp pistons. I would be really disappointed if you couldn't. 6 or 7 psi would probably beat me up China Wall but not by much.
Sure, I understood what you meant.......I think for every kit there is a customer, everyone has a ride style to consider. For me it was the MCX for you it was the Holz at the end of the day we both have had fun....... for as much as both kits cost I think the MCX has a great record of reliability and performance.

·
Just kidding!
10,754 Posts
I would love to race Mark up china.I dont think they go to the dunes though.I need to find someone else to race.It would be interesting.Of course I get beat by everyone it seems like..lol I still have fun though.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
From what I can see the Holz kit makes 70 crank HP but if I remember right the MCX turbo is making 70 rear wheel HP is that right? The cost when the exhaust is added to the Holz kit makes the money the same.

When I started looking into making more HP out of my RZR I planned to make my own turbo kit but after reading a bunch on here it seems a little more involved than I first thought. I have no problem with building a pipe and plumbing the turbo that is well within my abilities but the tuning and a controler that would control a third injector I am not sure about. I have a machine shop at home capable of making most of the pieces and parts. I understand engines in my younger days I was a mechanic but that was many years ago and well before EFI but I am good at reading and learning new things.

I bought this thing to go riding with my daughter and her husband they have quads. In my younger days I raced MX that was a long time ago and I figured if i was going to get into the dune riding I wanted a cage because I have more nerve than riding skill and the 2 don't serve a 50 year old body well. I am getting off topic and long winded sorry for that. The bottom line is I am not happy with the power my RZR is making and I am trying to figure out how to get it to run like I think it should.

My son he is 28 is building a 67 RS Camero and he has been pricing his engine and it looks like he will have about 400 HP the cost to build this motor is what they want for these kits and we are both just shaking our heads.

Mike

·
Premium Member
12,793 Posts
From what I can see the Holz kit makes 70 crank HP but if I remember right the MCX turbo is making 70 rear wheel HP is that right? The cost when the exhaust is added to the Holz kit makes the money the same.

When I started looking into making more HP out of my RZR I planned to make my own turbo kit but after reading a bunch on here it seems a little more involved than I first thought. I have no problem with building a pipe and plumbing the turbo that is well within my abilities but the tuning and a controler that would control a third injector I am not sure about. I have a machine shop at home capable of making most of the pieces and parts. I understand engines in my younger days I was a mechanic but that was many years ago and well before EFI but I am good at reading and learning new things.

I bought this thing to go riding with my daughter and her husband they have quads. In my younger days I raced MX that was a long time ago and I figured if i was going to get into the dune riding I wanted a cage because I have more nerve than riding skill and the 2 don't serve a 50 year old body well. I am getting off topic and long winded sorry for that. The bottom line is I am not happy with the power my RZR is making and I am trying to figure out how to get it to run like I think it should.

My son he is 28 is building a 67 RS Camero and he has been pricing his engine and it looks like he will have about 400 HP the cost to build this motor is what they want for these kits and we are both just shaking our heads.

Mike
Mike if you are going on the October Glamis ride your more then welcome to take my wifes RZR for a run up Olds so you can see first hand what the MCX can offer you. :ride:

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Dollar for dollar ... you can not beat a turbo ... if you plan on racing, you cant run a turbo in most classes.

The head on these 760 Polaris motors just have small ports ... with not allot of room to open up!! They like to be forced feed!!

Holz kits is crank HP ... the other is wheel HP

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Mike
Mike if you are going on the October Glamis ride your more then welcome to take my wifes RZR for a run up Olds so you can see first hand what the MCX can offer you. :ride:
That is a very generous offer but I won't be @ Glamis I live in Vancouver, WA and ride in the OR dunes. I am about 3.5 hours from Winchester Bay, OR and 2 hours from Sand Lake. We are going to either Florence or Winchester in 2 weeks for the weekend with the kids. Thank you very much for the offer.

Dune riding is not my main hobby fishing is. I have a 27’ aluminum pilot house boat that gets most of my hobby $$ the RZR I bought to spend fun time with my daughter who is an avid off road rider she loves riding her quads she is 25 and her and my son in-law ride with me.

I own a marine products business and manufacture fishing boat parts for Northwest fishing boats. I also work a full time job so I only end up riding the dunes 3 or 4 times a year.

Mike

·
Premium Member
12,793 Posts

Mike
That is a very generous offer but I won't be @ Glamis I live in Vancouver, WA and ride in the OR dunes. I am about 3.5 hours from Winchester Bay, OR and 2 hours from Sand Lake. We are going to either Florence or Winchester in 2 weeks for the weekend with the kids. Thank you very much for the offer.

Dune riding is not my main hobby fishing is. I have a 27’ aluminum pilot house boat that gets most of my hobby $$ the RZR I bought to spend fun time with my daughter who is an avid off road rider she loves riding her quads she is 25 and her and my son in-law ride with me.

I own a marine products business and manufacture fishing boat parts for Northwest fishing boats. I also work a full time job so I only end up riding the dunes 3 or 4 times a year.

Mike
It's a small world, I live in Kingston WA. on the Kitsap peninsula......we try and ride the Oregon dunes as offten as possible maybe one day we will bump into you down there :ride:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That would be great. I was @ Dune Fest this year but did not get a chance too meet any of the forum members I was hoping I would but I forgot to print off the meet times but figured I would spot a bunch of RZR's following each other but I never did.

Mike

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
all you had to look for was the 40 foot roster tail off of a RZR .... and that was Giff-turbo

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I have never owned a Holz, MCX, Aerocharger, K+T,Apex or Weber...but I have been studying the chit out of them...I think they are all Way-Good...Now if I had the cash, but I dont....The Wifey does...Now if the Wifey would let me spend the cash:rofl3::rofl3:....I would have to get a Weber....my reasoning for this...is the Weber was made for a Turbo and the Po-Po Engine was not made for Turbo...Now the Apex on the other hand I dont want 300-500 H.P for my RZR:scared2:.. I know an engine that is made for Turbo will be more dependable..Also Know Po-Po engine by the time you pin the crank and do other chit with it that will make it more dependable W/Turbo to...JMTCs

1 - 20 of 24 Posts