Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will be looking for a new car soon,well newer and would like a HHR panel but see the towing capacity is only about 1,000 lbs.i currently use a mid 90's dodge caravan and use a small aluminum trailer and as it is its a bit much for it,though i only have to drive 30 minutes or less to hit the trails.

anyone use or have used a hhr to tow theirs?

my other option is a toyota fj,but i know that will pull 2 or 3 rzr's.but have wanted a hhr panel for a while.:p

·
Registered
13,408 Posts
generally a 4cyl is bad news for a rzr.....i know guys will say they will pull fine, but generally speaking a vehicle that has a 4cyl doesnt have the right gearing and or torque that is needed to pull a rzr+trailer+gas cans+coolers etc....even a small trailer and light rzr is going to be pushin 2000lbs easy....the HHR prolly doesnt way 3000lbs. just my 2cents

·
Registered
151 Posts
My 4cyl pulls just fine!! But I do have quite a bit more torque than a gasser...:rofl3:

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
From years of experience, I tend to go for bigger than you'll think you need rather than to small to begin with. With the rzr and a trailer, you're looking at a couple thousand pounds, and the rzr actually tends to not be aerodynamic, especially on a utility trailer. I suck more gas pulling my rzr on a utility trailer than I do towing my 19 foot cuddy boat even though it weighs quite a bit more.

The HHR is a really light duty vehicle, with nothing to spare in the engine, transmission or brake department. While you might get away with it for a while without damage on flat short trips at reasonable speed, you're just asking for mechanical problems with the transmission, cv joints etc. Also, you also have to consider whether or not the rzr/trailer combo is going to tend to push the vehicle around. On the longer 300 to 500 mile trips I drag my rzr around on during the winter months, I find myself wishing that I had something more powerful than the 4.7 liter setup I have in my midsize dakota.

·
Registered
319 Posts
IMO an HHR would be impractical to pull any kind of trailer. The Toyota FJ's are kinda sweet, any reason you would rather have an HHR?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes,me being a chevy/gm fan and the one i want is a true panel wagon.panel wagons are sweet.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts