Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m having a tough time getting the cams re installed. Exhaust cam sits fine when it’s at TDC but the intake cam…I think I need to have someone hold some tension on the chain or should I reinstall the tensioner and roll the engine CCW a bit to get the lobes to sit flat and allow me to bolt the cam retainer caps back on? Then roll it back CCW and make sure it all lines up?
I’m trying to do it by myself and don’t have the ignition cover off so I have to turn the clutch and can’t reach over the bed enough to keep tension on the chain.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Cam shaft holding tool is what you need or a piece of metal that fits between the cams on the back side
Font Parallel Terrestrial plant Screenshot Slope
Font Parallel Line art Pattern Drawing

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I'm grabbing a piece of 1/8" flat stock today to use for the cam holding tool

The part I'm having difficulty with is getting the front of the cam to sit flat enough to get the cam retainer plates back on....when the lobes are faced outwards at TDC on the PTO cylinder...the intake cam won't sit flat in the the cam journals/bore because a couple of the lobes are still wanting to open the valves. I can't push down hard enough to open the valves.

I've got the PDF of the service manual and it seems like they say to pull the cam gears...what I don't understand is how this will allow the lobes to rotate and still be in the correct timing position.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
just in front of the first lobe, you should be able to use a large open ended wrench to assist in rotating the cam

Reactions: kgbg

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much. I've got the 21 mm wrench to do it...it's just the balance of rotating the crank perfectly in sync with both of the cam gears and keep the chain tight enough to not jump a tooth is really tough for me by myself. I'm sure I'm missing something...thanks so much the suggestions...I'll be trying both tonight.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are you trying to bolt the cam caps down with the sprockets installed and chain on? You bolt the cams in and install the holding tool. Then get the chain on the sprockets, aligning the sprocket marks to the head as shown. The cams should line up with the sprockets to install install those bolts, if not pop the offending sprocket back off and down to rotate it in the chain.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, that is what I'm trying to do.

The difficulty is in bolting the cams down while the motor is at TDC...the intake came won't sit flat enough as far as the lobes go to install it without turning the motor over about 1/4 turn I believe.

Here's a video showing what I think I'm going to try to do with a friend turning the engine over via the primary clutch...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts