Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been able to figure out the secret to breaking the bead on these Rzr Wheels. Twice I have gotten dirt and sand in them and could not break them loose to clean them. Had to wait and take them to the tire shop for them to do them.

Any Suggestions?

·
Just kidding!
10,757 Posts
I have used a highlift jack and the jack that came with my dodge truck.I set the edge of the jack right next to the rim.I then start pushing down on the tire and as I am pushing down with the jack i hammer the jack in towards the rim to keep it on the bead it worked good for me.Johnnycat likes to run the tires over to break the bead.Or you can get a tool from harbor freight tools.

·
Registered
294 Posts
In a pinch I have used a bumper pull electric tongue jack or a 5th wheel landing gear jack. Works rather well. Send the jack down just slightly below the wheel lip and push the foot under the lip. Keep pushing foot under lip and lower foot. Might take a try or 2.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Lay your wheel flat on a hard surface. Then place a 2x4 up on the tire , all the way up to the rim. Use your vehicle to drive up on the 2x4 and it will break the tire down from the rim...

Best to have two people so you can adjust the board while the other drives up on it..

·
King of crash!
31,881 Posts
Lay your wheel flat on a hard surface. Then place a 2x4 up on the tire , all the way up to the rim. Use your vehicle to drive up on the 2x4 and it will break the tire down from the rim...

Best to have two people so you can adjust the board while the other drives up on it..
i had to do this last trip but didn't have a 2x4...just 2 people and drove very very close to the rim gave the steering wheel a twist or two and some how it came lose got the sand out aired it up and 2 hrs later i debeeded it again...lol

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've tried the driving on it with and without a plank. Never worked for me. Bought the tool from Harbor Freight. No problem. Plus it has worked on different size and depth quad rims. Only issue i can see with it is storage. Stands foot and a half tall and takes up the same amount in floor space.

·
King of crash!
31,881 Posts
I've tried the driving on it with and without a plank. Never worked for me. Bought the tool from Harbor Freight. No problem. Plus it has worked on different size and depth quad rims. Only issue i can see with it is storage. Stands foot and a half tall and takes up the same amount in floor space.
we have one of the harbor frieght one but not on last trip.... i had to find a way we als one time used tire tools and some how got it done....

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Use the your trailer jack ... hook it to you truck ... and lower the landing gear on the bead ... Karter44 turned me on to this!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Drive it like you stole it and your bound to pop a bead! I had to put a 2x4 on the tire and then drive up it with my buddy's diesel (the miata didn't have enough weight).

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I figured that trick out when I was out at Sand Mount with a flat. Had a spare tire with no rim and just thought what the hell I'll try it. It's a little slow and you need to do it a few times but it works without a whole lot of effort, my kind of work....lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the all the suggestions. The plank and driving didnt work for me. That was what I tried on both since it always worked on my jeep tires. The Trailer jack though...I think that's the ticket.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
For what it's worth, factory rims and tires are generally an absolute nightmare to de-bead. Don't quote me on this, but I think the lube they use to seat the bead dries and acts like a glue, making them difficult to de-bead. It's not just Polaris either, I have seen it on all sorts of factory rims and tires.

Now, to avoid the whole problem in general I would suggest a nice set of OMF Performance Beadlocks. LOL, have to throw the shameless plug in somewhere!!

Bones

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
For what it's worth, factory rims and tires are generally an absolute nightmare to de-bead. Don't quote me on this, but I think the lube they use to seat the bead dries and acts like a glue, making them difficult to de-bead. It's not just Polaris either, I have seen it on all sorts of factory rims and tires.

Now, to avoid the whole problem in general I would suggest a nice set of OMF Performance Beadlocks. LOL, have to throw the shameless plug in somewhere!!

Bones
:rofl3:perfect opportunity Bones:rofl3:

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's easy, just roll the RZR a couple of times, they pop right off! :doh:

First time we used a little hand pump one of the MX riders was carrying, ever since I carry a small electric pump with me.

Of course if you want to do it intentionally...I have used both my truck and the trailer jack trick successfully. With the trailer jack make sure there are no sharp edges or you can cut the tire. With the truck, make sure you have someone hold it till you are square, then make sure they let go. When it does pop off the rim can move suddenly and squish fingers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.