Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was told my rings was prolly burnt up, came back from a ride and it's smoking really bad and burnt about 3 quarts of oil in 4 hours. If it is rings does anyone know how much it will cost to get it fixed. Or does it sound like something else is wrong with it?

·
Banned
904 Posts
Definately rings. Oil is bypassing the rings and burning, that's what the smoke is and why you used so much oil. As for cost, it impossible to say. Depends on where you have it done and if there is anything else that will need to be replaced which is very likely. Most likely piston will need to be replaced as well as needing the cylinder worked.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
just got charged 4 hrs labor to do a new top end. new pistons, rings, plugs, oil change, head clean-up. $85/hr. get new piston kit from kb motorsports, kenneth is the cheapest around and has great service. bump up the compression, run good fuel and gain a few hp!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
just got charged 4 hrs labor to do a new top end. new pistons, rings, plugs, oil change, head clean-up. $85/hr. get new piston kit from kb motorsports, kenneth is the cheapest around and has great service. bump up the compression, run good fuel and gain a few hp!
Mark was that on a 900? I did pistons & rings on my xp recently & can tell you it's a major pain in the a$$! In the popo service manual they want you to split the cases install pistons then put cases back together! Others have stated to pull the eng & it's not to bad to do without splitting cases while working on the bench, I did mine in the vehicle & it sucked, very time consuming & aggrivating! As for cost it's hard to say mostly just depends on the shops in your area or you could pull the eng crate it up & send it to someone like Tagteam or Alba for a full build! Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to call around when I get back home and find out how bad they going to stick it to me. Thanks for all the info.

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
Was told my rings was prolly burnt up, came back from a ride and it's smoking really bad and burnt about 3 quarts of oil in 4 hours. If it is rings does anyone know how much it will cost to get it fixed. Or does it sound like something else is wrong with it?
Well, if using 3qt of oil in 4 hrs, chances are at one time or another it ran low on oil.

So on a 900, in the frame engine rebuilds(top ends) , while possible are not the way to go imo, for many good engine rebuilding practices/reasons that could fill up another thread.

So now you got the engine out, valve train disassembled, head off, cylinder off. And you're just going to change the rings???
Why not go to the next step and split the cases to check on your lower end that might have been(probably) run low on oil?
Also check and measure every engine spec, and R&R as needed.
I could not see doing it any other way myself...

As I tell all my companies service techs, (some more than others)... Always time to do it twice, never time to do it right...

jmo

·
Lake Mead Explorer
342 Posts
There is a site sponsor on here that rebuilds 900's. Hopefully he will see this thread. I agree with others, might as well put some performance parts in for a marginal increase in costs and have the engine assembled correctly.

·
Vendor
2,416 Posts
Sorry guys, just getting caught up from the Sand Sports Super Show. We rebuild XP motors on a daily basis and shipping is very reasonable. I have had a motor shipped from Alaska for $140 and we pay the return. Feel free to give me a call and we can discuss the options.

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Premium Member
41,100 Posts
It could be rings, cracked piston, damaged cylinder, valve guides or valve seals, no one would know for sure until they took your engine apart...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Everyone says how hard it is to reinstall the cylinder with the engine still in the rzr but I was able to install the cylinder by myself in 20 mins. Wasn't bad at all. Spun the engine over by hand with the timing chain to make sure nothing hung up and it was smooth as butter.

Its def a good 3 1/2 - 4 hour job in total

H

·
0 Posts
Any more background on why what I assume is a fairly new machine would be burning 3 qts in 4 hours? Did it eat sand? Just curious..I assume warranty is up or there is a reason you can't get it warrantied?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah it's only 3 months old. I snorkeled it and that voided the warranty so they say. I'm not really for sure what caused it we went on a ride friday night everything was working fine but the next day it was smoking a little. The next weekend we went on another ride so I changed the oil and everything and after that it really wasn't smoking at all until about 2 hours in to it then it started smoking again and was a lot worse this time.

·
Premium Member
41,100 Posts
Saw a set of rings welded to the piston yesterday on a no mileage new dealer machine... Smoked when they did the pre-sale inspection... Tore it down and found the problem...

Replaced the cylinder, pistons, rings, wrist pins and cir-clips... No smokey no more...

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Saw a set of rings welded to the piston yesterday on a no mileage new dealer machine... Smoked when they did the pre-sale inspection... Tore it down and found the problem...

Replaced the cylinder, pistons, rings, wrist pins and cir-clips... No smokey no more...
Tim,
Polaris cover that I assume ...:question:

·
Premium Member
41,100 Posts

Tim,
Polaris cover that I assume ...:question:
They sure did... Sent 2 new piston kits (pistons, rings, wrist pins and cir-clips) a new cylinder and gaskets...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts