Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the motor oil in my 2008 RZR and, per the owners manual I put 2 quarts back in. When I checked the oil it is about a quarter inch above the full mark on the dipstick. When I dumped the old oil from the drain pan into the oil bottles there was only about a quart and a half. It was full before I drained it. The manual says not to overfill. My question is this: should I drain a half quart out or will the half quart do any damage? Thanks in advance for your advise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
you should be fine. if the manual states 2 quarts, then 2 quarts should be fine. I have always run my quads a bit high on the oil, maybe a 1/8 to 3/16 above the line. i can not vouch for the razor but i do know from personal expirence youcan over fill a honda 400ex by a quart and not hurt it.. though i wont be doing it ever again.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Same here, 2 qts. shows above full. I just did my 3rd change at 975 miles and have had no problems.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great. Thanks a lot for the info guys! I feel much better now.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have discovered when doing my oil changes, that if I jack the rear end up after draining the oil, that a considerable amount more will come draining out.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have discovered when doing my oil changes, that if I jack the rear end up after draining the oil, that a considerable amount more will come draining out.
Is it coming from the drain or from the top of the skid plate? That's also a common problem. If it's truly coming from the drain that might be our extra oil. Sure makes a mess on the garage floor if not careful.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Also consider that the oil filter holds about 1/2 cup of oil. When I change my oil I'll put about 1qt-1/2 then start it up for about 15 seconds and then let the oil settle then check the dip-stick and see what the reading is then add from there, then you dont have to worry about over filling. I was trained a Lube Shop that you should never go over the (top-mark or line) when doing a oil change. Always keep it in the safe zone. Because of the amount of Pressure thats due to overfilling is not good for seals,etc. Anyway thats what that how they trained me and I've been sticking with it. Also my RZR will only hold about 1 3/4 qts. when changing the oil and that to the safe line.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Is it coming from the drain or from the top of the skid plate? That's also a common problem. If it's truly coming from the drain that might be our extra oil. Sure makes a mess on the garage floor if not careful.
Its truly comming out of the motor. My skid plate was removed when doing this.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Also consider that the oil filter holds about 1/2 cup of oil. When I change my oil I'll put about 1qt-1/2 then start it up for about 15 seconds and then let the oil settle then check the dip-stick and see what the reading is then add from there, then you dont have to worry about over filling. I was trained a Lube Shop that you should never go over the (top-mark or line) when doing a oil change. Always keep it in the safe zone. Because of the amount of Pressure thats due to overfilling is not good for seals,etc. Anyway thats what that how they trained me and I've been sticking with it. Also my RZR will only hold about 1 3/4 qts. when changing the oil and that to the safe line.
Good advice. I'm going to do that the next oil change.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts