Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
I always go for an upgrade when I break something. You can get far better quality with after market. I put super atv boxed arms on my buggy for $380. What else did u break?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It busted the brake line which I visegrip clamped down so it would start lol it looks like just the lower arm took the biggest hit as of right now. Hopefully that’s all that is wrong. But some of the body panel got busted up which is the least of my worries!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Also, have a look at special carriers lower arms. I put a high clearance set on my XP, and they are beefy. It’s actually kinda nuts how light and weak the stock lower arms are, for how much of a beating they take. The special carriers high clearance lower arms are much heavier, they are gusseted, and allow for camber adjustments.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
A hit hard enough to break the A arm could have possibly bent something in the steering rack as well. It's not easy to just look in and see, you probably wont know until you replace the A arm and drive it. Happened to me..

Yesterday at Rockhouse I snapped a rear passenger side A arm in 2. Only thing holding the wheel on was the upper, shock, axel and a ratchet strap. Had to limp it back about 6 miles, axel was grinding on the sway bar the whole time. Wont know the extent of the damage till I pull it off the trailer and start tearing in apart today

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I would replace with OEM. My group calls this the slippery slope. Start beefing up broken parts on the periphery and you start breaking more expensive parts more interior. Consider A-arms like a shear pin. Also you only would have to buy one not a set, cheaper. I replace the ball joint with A-arms just because it's apart and easier for me.

I love the photo. Not happy you broke something but... Shows that the rescue tools are for what you did. Getting the car ready for extraction by friends.

I have 10000 hard desert miles on my cars. I have replaced a few cracked and or bent A-arms, some upper some lower but not a frequent thing. None of them as catastrophic as yours.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I think Wheels idea is good. But I have broken uppers more often than lowers so it's not just a question of clearance. Straight A-arms may be stronger?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think Wheels idea is good. But I have broken uppers more often than lowers so it's not just a question of clearance. Straight A-arms may be stronger?
You’re probably right about the slope. I went with beefier lowers because for some reason, I tend to misjudge large rocks occasionally and smash into them with a lower. I’ve never broken one, but I definitely dented and bent them. The bent high-clearance arms from special carriers are definitely stronger than the straight factory arms.

If I were to hit something hard with the arm, you’re probably right, it very well could cause frame damage. However, I haven’t hit anything with them since I installed them, thanks to the extra clearance. I guess it’s a bit of a push-pull with risk-benefit analysis

I really do like the camber adjustment.

I’ve never damaged an upper arm. How are you breaking them?

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I’m not ideologically pure. I replace some stuff with heavier parts. Radius rods and radius rod bolts. I just wanted to present our slippery slope argument.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm debating the same thing right now. Have a bent lower on my XP1000 Dynamix. Do I go with ORB or Special Carriers or stock? LOL. That is the question.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts