Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Vendor
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spark arrestor are required and needed in some areas. Please check local requirements and use common sense before removal.

Short video on the engine dyno to show you exactly what the power change is without the spark arrestor.
This is on a RS1 engine but 1000 should be similar if you have an XP1K or 1000s

Is it even worth it?
Have you removed it on yours?
Did you notice a difference?

·
Vendor
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For 2hp, I’ll leave it in. Would definitely recommend cleaning it periodically though. Any idea how much power is gained by gutting the cat? Thanks for the vid!
I am hesitant to make a video dealing with Catalytic removal.... due to environmental extremists

·
Vendor
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd love to see a video comparing stock exhaust to gutted cat to high flow aftermarket slip-on
I'll have a video for the Bikeman Double Barrel slip-on here soon. It's a little better then the alternative. That is the only comparison you will see from me.

·
Registered
399 Posts
H/P gain is not the only benefit from removing restriction from the exhaust such as removing the spark arrestor. Throttle response is increased. Many companies make a much less restrictive spark arrestor for different vehicles so you get the benefits of removing restriction without losing the protection of the spark arrestor. A double win if you ask me. Some mods may give small benefits but when combined with others it enhances and increases the total gain. Cheapest gains are always to improve the intake and exhaust flow.

·
Registered
2019 RZR XP4 1000
61 Posts
Thanks for posting, I need a SA but may look at putting on a Supertrapp type disc SA that is less restrictive.

·
Registered
'18 XPT2
696 Posts
I would love to see a study on the effectiveness of a spark arrestor and how many fires have been proven to be started by an individual not using one. There's thousands of websites and haters on this website that will argue for the use of a spark arrestor, yet I can't find anything online about a fire caused by an off road vehicle not using one.

·
Vendor
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would love to see a study on the effectiveness of a spark arrestor and how many fires have been proven to be started by an individual not using one. There's thousands of websites and haters on this website that will argue for the use of a spark arrestor, yet I can't find anything online about a fire caused by an off road vehicle not using one.
I know I did a video about removing it but I also get why it is needed in some areas. Some areas are more prone to fires. On older engines with carbon build up the carbon can flake off while glowing red and will then ignite dry flammable matter. On a newer era engine there is not likely much carbon build up because they for one run way cleaner than older engines an leave less deposits. On a brand new machine there is very little chance for carbon to leave and ignite anything because there will likely be no carbon yet. The Spark arrestor is an extra layer to prevent unwanted. In dry areas I would personally keep it in.

Reactions: DaGoat

·
Registered
768 Posts
I can see removal on the dunes maybe but nowhere else. Every measure should be taken in the forest to prevent a fire. You can still make hp with a spark arrestor.

·
Registered
590 Posts
With all the fires we had last year out here in CO, i'm not one that would want to remove the SA for just a few more HP.

The Cameron Peak fire just last year was the biggest one in our history. Not caused by a RZR but, it used to be a beautiful place to ride your RZR.

·
Registered
768 Posts
With all the fires we had last year out here in CO, i'm not one that would want to remove the SA for just a few more HP.

The Cameron Peak fire just last year was the biggest one in our history. Not caused by a RZR but, it used to be a beautiful place to ride your RZR.
The 50" stuff out of Grand lake was bitchin, Illinois pass to teller city, damn it will never be the same.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The 50" stuff out of Grand lake was bitchin, Illinois pass to teller city, damn it will never be the same.
Yea. Good friend lost his retirement house in the Cameron fire.

Really good riding up around the Red Feather Lakes area. From what I understand, a lot of it is closed now since the fire.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yea. Good friend lost his retirement house in the Cameron fire.

Really good riding up around the Red Feather Lakes area. From what I understand, a lot of it is closed now since the fire.
Red feathers is a fun spot. That fire sucked!! The Troublesome fire affected the area I was referring to but it was all at the same time so I just group it all together lol. My sisters house was one block away from the fire line. Just not worth the risk.

·
Registered
'18 XPT
1,978 Posts
This is really dissappointing thread is a few ways. Not that I care to insult Joey or BKMN, but it is what it is.

1) They observed a roughly 1% difference between w/a SA and WO. In the testing world that's not statistically significant. It may not even be repeatable.

2) Federal law requires SA's, provided by the MFG or otherwise certified, to be essentially non-restrictive for the application they are provided for. I no longer remember, but I want to say they are required to present something like 1" of WC, or some similar really really small number. Its all documented in my exhaust analysis thread if you really want to know.

3) Why in the world would any thinking individual conceive of something that further undermines our rights and access to places to go ride? Are you not paying attention to the losses of places and freedoms we're taking?

4) Letting them get carbon fouled is really the only way they can tangibly affect HP.

5) Throttle response, in any practical way, is only even possibly affected on a turbo machine, and in the case of an SA it's going to be so small as to be undetectable. A Cat, sure, but a great deal of that is due to heat, and there is no thermal reaction happening in a SA.

6) If you wanted to optimize everything possible you'd be better off getting rid of the Cat, going dual exhaust plus SA, and concurrently working on keeping the sound signature down. I've done exactly that. As I understand how quickly restriction drops when flow is reduced, I'm quite certain you could not detect any tangible HP loss due to a SA on mine with any tune a stock crankshaft Poo could run.

I would like to say something positive about the significant number of posters calling out the irresponsible nature of eliminating an SA, and to all of you: "Thank You, Many Props, Much Respect"

-d

·
Registered
768 Posts
This is really dissappointing thread is a few ways. Not that I care to insult Joey or BKMN, but it is what it is.

1) They observed a roughly 1% difference between w/a SA and WO. In the testing world that's not statistically significant. It may not even be repeatable.

2) Federal law requires SA's, provided by the MFG or otherwise certified, to be essentially non-restrictive for the application they are provided for. I no longer remember, but I want to say they are required to present something like 1" of WC, or some similar really really small number. Its all documented in my exhaust analysis thread if you really want to know.

3) Why in the world would any thinking individual conceive of something that further undermines our rights and access to places to go ride? Are you not paying attention to the losses of places and freedoms we're taking?

4) Letting them get carbon fouled is really the only way they can tangibly affect HP.

5) Throttle response, in any practical way, is only even possibly affected on a turbo machine, and in the case of an SA it's going to be so small as to be undetectable. A Cat, sure, but a great deal of that is due to heat, and there is no thermal reaction happening in a SA.

6) If you wanted to optimize everything possible you'd be better off getting rid of the Cat, going dual exhaust, and concurrently working on the keeping the sound signature down. I've done exactly that. As I understand how quickly restriction drops when flow is reduced, I'm quite certain you could not detect any tangible HP loss due to a SA on mine with any tune a stock crankshaft Poo could run.

I would like to say something positive about the significant number of posters calling out the irresponsible nature of eliminating an SA, and to all of you: "Thank You, Many Props, Much Respect"

-d
I'm in hopes this thread is done.

·
Registered
2019 RZR XP4 1000
61 Posts
I think this post has good value, if only to show there is not enough gain to run without a SA. I am interest in how every component affects my NA 1000. Knowledge is good. I still may look at replacing mine with a disc based one only because I have the discs and end caps. Or a dual like dafish brings up.

Personally I would have thought the impact would have been greater, nice to know being safe doesn’t have a cost.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I’m glad that the subject came up a and that it is pretty much laid to rest. I was also glad to see that everyone here is responsible enough to keep their sa installed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Spark arrestor are required and needed in some areas. Please check local requirements before removal.

Short video on the engine dyno to show you exactly what you gain without the spark arrestor.
This is on a RS1 engine but 1000 should be similar if you have an XP1K or 1000s

Have you removed it on yours?
Did you notice a difference?

Seems like a really bad idea posting this.. Don't come out west without spark arrestors, we are in for a hell of a fire season. Personally, I don't think stuff like this should be posted on this site.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts