Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide on whether or not to forget about the turbo. There are only 2 reasons why I want a turbo: the beefier drivetrain and the dunes. The problem is I’ll only be hitting the dunes a few times a year. The other many handful of times will be on trails and rocks, hence why I am considering the XP 1000 is plenty for what I need. Yes I know of the Trails & Rocks LE with lower gears, but still even trying to determine if the extra $5k is worth it for the TRE.

Because it will be mainly used on trails and crawling, I will absolutely put a Duraclutch on it so I can throw some 32s on there and also reap the benefits of some engine breaking. Not to mention the belt life the Duraclutch offers.

But long story short, I still want to rip on the dunes. Will the 1000 still perform well on the dunes and just flat out riding? Or will I be wanting more?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
If you want to go to the dunes, get the Turbo, period!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I have both. The turbo has cab heat and under loads it gets toasty at times. The extra power is nice for sure. My xp1k still rips in the dunes too, without the heater being on...
When it gets above 90 its time to remove the windshield. If your up in the high country its kinda nice to have the warmth.
Get what you can afford and enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I went back and forth on this, but here’s my opinion. The turbo has beefier drivetrain parts, but you’re also running a lot more power through it. Go on youtube and you’ll see the turbos break just as much as the 1k when beat on. The heavier steering parts and bigger brakes are nice to have, but I also feel like the brakes on my 1k are rock solid.

To me it came down to “do I really need, or even want the extra power?” Of course, who doesn’t want more power? But there are some downsides; You have to run premium fuel which can be hard to come by in remote areas, it’s recommended to allow longer idle time after riding before shutting down the engine, and of course the added complexity of the machine for repairs and maintenance. Also cab heat as others mentioned, and price.

I’ve got ~600 miles on my machine and I’m an aggressive trail rider on the East coast. Never once did I feel like I needed more power. It’s hard to break 60mph on the trails I ride without feeling like you’re either beating the machine, or it’s just plain dangerous. I will never ride dunes. There are none near me and it just doesn’t appeal to me at all. In a local race series the turbos don’t have an advantage because you can only push the belts so far. In last years Baja 1000 the 1st place N/A car actually finished ahead of the first place turbo car. Both RZRs.

The TRE to me was just too much coin to justify what you got. If I could have gotten the gearing for an extra thousand bucks I’d have jumped on it. But the rest of the add-ons I prefer to do myself and make it my own.

I don’t regret buying the XP1K over the turbo, but there are a lot of guys who do. If I HAD got the turbo, I don’t think I’d regret that either. Just perfectly happy with my choice is all. The turbo is better than the 1k in many ways, but it’s not for everyone.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Over 4K miles on my ‘14 xp1k. When I bought it there was no turbo. I was bummed when the turbo came out. I’ve ridden dunes a few times, and more power is nice.

However.

My 1k runs like mad. Especially since dialing the clutch for my altitude, I have no complaints about power on trails. I’ve done a ECU tune from superatv, eliminating the torque limits and low-Range speed limit. With the clutch and ECU, up at sand mountain I had no trouble at all keeping up with an x3rs.

The 1k has the power and immediacy to get me going faster on a trail than is reasonably safe in just a few seconds.

Honestly, The appeal of the turbo still lurks. But I’m not disappointed in my 1k at all. It’s solid, and makes enough power to have fun in the sand when I want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
3,000 on my 16 XP1K and love it. Do I want 168HP over 110HP yes do I need it no. Live in MN and ride lost of mud and hard trails. Hauled it to St Anthony last September with the big horns at 8 PSI and it was fine and a ton of fun. Man you go through the fuel in the sand WOW!!!! I also saved 5K so now I have all the goodies at the cost of a bare bones TURBO. To each their own the XP1K will pull dunes and you will smile will it high mark like a TURBO or get there as fast? NO but it is still the best drug every ripping the dunes. I am going back with my trusty old XP1K.

·
Registered
6 Posts
sure I would like to have the turbo hp, but 75% of my riding is in tight slow rocky goat trails in AZ, I'll just do with what we have as it works great and it's paid for
way back in 2014, the only turbo's out there were aftermarket kits that cost a bunch.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Bottom line, the XPT (S) is a better machine in EVERY category than a XP.

Price is a category. Also, reliability and cabin heat are categories as well. Rock-crawling is a category.

The XP is a better machine in AT LEAST these four categories. Just saying.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,272 Posts

Price is a category. Also, reliability and cabin heat are categories as well. Rock-crawling is a category.

Awfully bold statements...

Price is lower on the 1k, that doesn’t make it better, unless your purely basing your choice on price, in which case, the 570 is best!

I will acknowledge there is more cabin heat in a Turbo, but more Cabin heat is better in the winter, so that one is a draw, unless your purely basing your choice on the least cabin heat, in which case the 570 is best!

reliability is entirely dependent on the care taken of the machine, and with Polaris it can be a matter f luck. I’ve never had an issue that wasn’t self inflicted with my turbo in 1675 miles, a guy with 10k miles on a 16 XPT just posted the other day, and I see just as many people post issues with 1k’s as I do Turbos on here.

and rock crawling....... that one’s just funny, neither machine is “better” at rock crawling, since it’s primarily driver dependent, but the Turbo has components that are better suited for the abuse

-Give it a second... it had to go to space and back first ( Sent from the lifeline that is my iPhone XS Max )

·
Registered
451 Posts

Awfully bold statements...

Price is lower on the 1k, that doesn’t make it better, unless your purely basing your choice on price, in which case, the 570 is best!

I will acknowledge there is more cabin heat in a Turbo, but more Cabin heat is better in the winter, so that one is a draw, unless your purely basing your choice on the least cabin heat, in which case the 570 is best!

reliability is entirely dependent on the care taken of the machine, and with Polaris it can be a matter f luck. I’ve never had an issue that wasn’t self inflicted with my turbo in 1675 miles, a guy with 10k miles on a 16 XPT just posted the other day, and I see just as many people post issues with 1k’s as I do Turbos on here.

and rock crawling....... that one’s just funny, neither machine is “better” at rock crawling, since it’s primarily driver dependent, but the Turbo has components that are better suited for the abuse

-Give it a second... it had to go to space and back first ( Sent from the lifeline that is my iPhone XS Max )

Lol. I don’t remember the topic of this thread having anything to do with the 570. You said the XPT is better in every category than the xp1k. You’re creating a dialogue irrelevant to the topic at hand.

I’m pretty sure the XPT has taller gearing. There’s also the issue of turbo lag, both negatives in the world of rock crawling. As for the “better suited” components, I don’t agree. They are better suited to the amount of power one might apply using a 168hp motor. Not sure they would hold up any better than an xp1k, honestly. Just the gearing alone is enough to win this category.

Yes, price is a category, and in the category of price, the xp1k is the winner. How are you even trying to argue that? The 570 has nothing to do with this thread. The xp1k is better for my retirement fund. Period.

Sure, cabin heat can be a plus in the winter. I’ll give you that. But you can put heat in the cabin of an xp1k to make it warmer in the winter. You can’t take heat OUT of the XPT, in the warmer months. Clearly, there will be times when the XPT will be uncomfortably warm, and the xp1k will not. Potentially, this could mean the XPT will have a shorter window of usefulness than the xp1k. The xp1k therefore wins in this category.

As for reliability, there’s no doubt there will be some high/mile turbos. Still, trying to argue that a turbocharged machine will have better reliability and longevity than its N/A counterpart is disingenuous. There are just more points of failure, some of which can be catastrophic.

·
Premium Member
10,039 Posts
Going to be honest I have 2 2012 XP900, 1 2016 XP1K4, 1 2015 XP1K4 Z1, and a Turbo S, since I got the turbo S I have not used anything else, it does rock crawling, dunes, trails, and desert so well that it is really the only car I need! Even my Dad likes it so much he has been riding shot gun, it has the comfort, power, and reliability that I have been looking for for a long time!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow drop the mic !! So turbo s is the winner, that really sucks to hear that because I just over paid big time for my new highlifter and to make matters worse the s is what I really wanted

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've had my XP1K for over a year and a half, have never even once wished I had bought a turbo. I ride 99% desert (not dunes) and several friends have turbos, I've yet to have any trouble keeping up with them. I've never wanted for more power, didn't want to pay more for the turbo, and in my opinion (note "in my opinion"), the turbo is just more moving parts that can go wrong. If I could go back and do it all over again, the only thing I might have changed would have been buying a 4-seater instead of a 2-seater.

Either way, there's no wrong answer. Some guys can never have enough power - I'm just not that guy. But I won't tell somebody else how to spend their money.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Lol. I don’t remember the topic of this thread having anything to do with the 570. You said the XPT is better in every category than the xp1k. You’re creating a dialogue irrelevant to the topic at hand.
1) Price? Value would actually be a better indication. IMO in it that category the XPT wins based on resale and the upgraded parts.

I’m pretty sure the XPT has taller gearing. There’s also the issue of turbo lag, both negatives in the world of rock crawling.
You would be incorrect, also depends on the year. The 16/17 models have very low gearing. In the 18+ models low was raised by 3% but still very capable for crawling

Turbo lag? Obviously you have never driven a XPT because there is ZERO turbo lag. If you were put in a XPT without knowing it was a turbo you would never know it had one, it's that smooth throughout the rpm range.

As for the “better suited” components, I don’t agree. They are better suited to the amount of power one might apply using a 168hp motor. Not sure they would hold up any better than an xp1k, honestly. Just the gearing alone is enough to win this category.
Obvious from this comment you are uninformed. The XPT has larger brakes, better shocks, better clutching, HD trans, larger axles, bigger front diff, etc... The transmission in the XPT is much better than the XP, it is HD and has a gear driven reverse. The XP transmissions are prone to breaking snorkel gears and reverse chains, very common problems. The XPT trans has a 18T snorkel gear vs the XP's 12T snorkel gear. XPT trans failures are very rare and the reason most racers switch to a XPT trans.

Yes, price is a category, and in the category of price, the xp1k is the winner. How are you even trying to argue that? The 570 has nothing to do with this thread. The xp1k is better for my retirement fund. Period.
Refer to 1st response, it's value not simply low price.

Sure, cabin heat can be a plus in the winter. I’ll give you that. But you can put heat in the cabin of an xp1k to make it warmer in the winter. You can’t take heat OUT of the XPT, in the warmer months. Clearly, there will be times when the XPT will be uncomfortably warm, and the xp1k will not. Potentially, this could mean the XPT will have a shorter window of usefulness than the xp1k. The xp1k therefore wins in this category.
Completely invalid - They ALL get hot in the cab. I have a full enclosure and ride all year whether it's 0 or 100 degrees. With some heat shielding under the tunnel and a couple of interior fans it's no warmer than a XP.

As for reliability, there’s no doubt there will be some high/mile turbos. Still, trying to argue that a turbocharged machine will have better reliability and longevity than its N/A counterpart is disingenuous. There are just more points of failure, some of which can be catastrophic.
Completely invalid again - 1) Longevity is a matter of maintenance on any machine 2) In general, saying a NA engine has better longevity than turbo charged engine is disingenuous. If this were true you would not see turbos on HD equipment that run 1+ million miles. Turbo engines are the standard on HD trucks and HD equipment.

Some are missing the point, it's not about the additional HP (which is nice) but rather about the better HD components the XPT offers.

1) Brakes - XPT wins
2) Suspension - XPT wins
3) HD Drivetrain XPT wins
4) Steering - XPT wins
5) Clutching - XPT wins
6) Power - XPT wins
7) Value - subjective but IMO the XPT wins
8) Ride quality - XPT wins

The XPT does everything a XP does but does it better and that's facts not opinion. So yes the XPT is a better machine is EVERY category. However, not everyone wants or needs a XPT for their purposes or budgt. In the end it's up to the buyer to determine what's the appropriate machine for what they do and the value associated with their machine.

BTW - If you're into rock crawling you are welcome to try to follow me in my XPT :devil

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,272 Posts

I’m pretty sure the XPT has taller gearing. There’s also the issue of turbo lag, both negatives in the world of rock crawling. As for the “better suited” components, I don’t agree. They are better suited to the amount of power one might apply using a 168hp motor. Not sure they would hold up any better than an xp1k, honestly. Just the gearing alone is enough to win this category.

You saved me a bunch of typing Joe! lol

I brought the 570 into it for comparison to show that if you were buying a machine basing your decision entirely on one of those factors, then the "1k or turbo" debate, isn't at the front of your decision.

its a $1500 price difference currently between the 1k and the XPT 2 seat... and that $1500 makes the XPT "better" ( unless "lower" is all you care about, as i mentioned above ), you start with the exact same base platform, but for $1500 you get 58 hp, and the mentioned better components, which are indeed better as Joe clarified the reasons for above, regardless that the turbo has more hp to put through them or not, they hold up better to 168 than the XP's do to 110, especially in a situation where you're not using anywhere near peak HP of either machine.

As Joe pointed out above, the gearing is close enough in stock form that's it's basically an irrelevant matter

It's funny you mention Turbo lag, because yeah, it's minimal if existent at all, and if you're using so much throttle to spool the Turbo to full boost, you're not rock crawling, you're rock bouncing, and neither machine is particularly great at that without thousands in upgrades. WOT & 8000+ RPM is not where you want to be rock crawling at, but I'll gladly sit back and watch you break things in any machine of your choosing!

If your using aftermarket parts to bring heat into the 1k cab, then you can just as easily use aftermarket parts to take heat out of the Turbo... I feel that particular topic is a moot point at best regardless.

They're both great machines in their own right, but there's much more reason than 58 hp for that extra $1500 for the Turbo, and it's well worth that and then some. Drop the 1K another $2000 in price and it would be a debate over "better" in the price category.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts