Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wondered how many miles the RZR engines will go for before they need to be rebuilt. Lets get this going, so please list the kind of riding you do, the modifications you have done, the size of tires you have and how many miles you have so far.

This should be interesting...

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Top end @ 1000 miles. Often in can't see/can't breathe dust clouds when riding with others.

YMMV

·
Registered
71 Posts
Have about 2,000 miles on my machine. Everything from 11,000 foot mountains to major dust. The only mod I have on the engine is a K&N filter, and I clean the filter sock before almost every ride. The machine burns a bit of oil (about a pint every 1,000 miles), but that is it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm close to 1000 miles and doesn't use a drop of oil. I run it pretty hard too. But, I put a D&L airbox on it within about a week of owning it. Dunno if it make a difference or not.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool guys, keep em coming. The point to all of this is to help people understand when these things are at the end of thier service life. There are more and more used RZRs on the market and people just don't know what to consider high miles.

·
Registered
319 Posts
5000k on oem engine, UMP air cleaner the best, installed turbo pistons at 3500K all desert driving and dunes, removed engine at 5102K replaced with the 902 Turbo now close to 6500k, oh by the way we changed oil about every 20-30 Hrs mobile1 and lucas racing oil.
pulled the oem engine apart and it was spotless, we also used an oil cooler, larger radiator installed about 3000k, it makes a big difference when you keep the oil clean and the air intake clean. Considering this is the most demanding terrain with silt lake beds and major dust I think this proves that keeping the air intake and oil clean it will last a long time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
5000k on oem engine, UMP air cleaner the best, installed turbo pistons at 3500K all desert driving and dunes, removed engine at 5102K replaced with the 902 Turbo now close to 6500k, oh by the way we changed oil about every 20-30 Hrs mobile1 and lucas racing oil.
pulled the oem engine apart and it was spotless, we also used an oil cooler, larger radiator installed about 3000k, it makes a big difference when you keep the oil clean and the air intake clean. Considering this is the most demanding terrain with silt lake beds and major dust I think this proves that keeping the air intake and oil clean it will last a long time.
Awesome. I've gotten well over 6k on my Polaris snowmobiles, but those are two strokes. Thanks for the replies, keep em coming.

·
Registered
311 Posts
726 miles and 84 hours. 26" swamp lites. UMP air box with rubber cap for going deep and snorkeled to the roof with an outerwares over the snorkel intake. I get almost zero dust in the airbox and ride in alot of sugar sand and dusty conditions. Also go deep alot down here in FL. Runs as good as the day I got it but uses about an ounce or 2 of oil every 230 miles or so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I only got 269miles 23hrs, but I got a buddy who had a 2008 Rzr he sold at about 2700 miles and he only sold it because he felt it was high miles. It always ran perfect and never burned an ounce of oil. He was religious on the oil changes wiht the OEM PS4 and had a UMP intake, the big one. That was last Jan he sold it and I'm sure its still running perfect. Great engines.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I only got 269miles 23hrs, but I got a buddy who had a 2008 Rzr he sold at about 2700 miles and he only sold it because he felt it was high miles. It always ran perfect and never burned an ounce of oil. He was religious on the oil changes wiht the OEM PS4 and had a UMP intake, the big one. That was last Jan he sold it and I'm sure its still running perfect. Great engines.
Nice RZR4 in your Avatar. Keep em coming.

·
Matt
197 Posts
1300 miles with no issues. I noticed it did use a couple of ozs of oil but my air filter was filthy so I think that might be the culprit. Hopefully this thing will be like my mighty Cummins and I can expect 1 million miles out of it....

·
Registered
578 Posts
its a four stoke not a two. just do regular maint and drive th shit out of it. i just bought a 2011 and have 500 mi's on it . i plan to drive it till it dies. my buddy johnnycat8 has a 07 and i have not heard of any real problems. he drives the crap out of it and it seems just as strong, we mainly ride the dunes. that is the hardest on any machine. so drive it like you stole it.

·
Work Has Stopped :(
521 Posts
Awesome. I've gotten well over 6k on my Polaris snowmobiles, but those are two strokes. Thanks for the replies, keep em coming.
Wow, 6k on a two stroke is amazing!!!!

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
its a four stoke not a two. just do regular maint and drive th shit out of it. i just bought a 2011 and have 500 mi's on it . i plan to drive it till it dies. my buddy johnnycat8 has a 07 and i have not heard of any real problems. he drives the crap out of it and it seems just as strong, we mainly ride the dunes. that is the hardest on any machine. so drive it like you stole it.
Hi Dave! I'm not sure that dunes are the hardest miles. Dunes demand a lot from the engine, but I trail ride a lot and ride many miles in deep powder dust on well used logging roads to access the trails. I have 2300mi on an gen1 08 with a desert Dragon fire intake. I try to clean the filter after most rides, and change periodically but I now use a couple Oz on every 60-70 mi ride.

I'm no mechanic, so I need to be thinking about where to have an unknown job done in the future. Any ideas in the Sacramento area?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Over 3,400 miles on my 09. Runs just as good as my 2010 with 1,100 miles. It doesn't use any oil, but I do have the atv doc airbox.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts