Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to pull and rebuild the transmission on my 2016 Highlifter XP1000. I'm going to install all new seals, all new SKF bearings, and replace any surprises inside.

How many people are doing the external oil lube tubing modification?

Doesn't look that hard to do.

Thanks,

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I thought that bearing was lubed from the inside gear oil? What type of lube to you use for this mod?
Typically this bearing does not oil well internally. So you run an external line from a spot where oil collects and feed it to the center of the bearing via gravity. There is a video somewhere floating around.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I just run mine with 2 qts after installing new bearings. The overfill is discussed in the same thread that the hose modification was.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have done the hose feed line and also replaced all of the bearings inside with the approved list. Not the cheap knock off stuff that they come with OEM. Also welded up a catch dam for the feed. Seems to do well. I don't have very many miles on it since.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Bringing this topic back.

I was recently watching a Shock Therapy Livestream. Justin was going over various UTVs and detailing their strengths and weaknesses. One thing he mentioned for the earlier XPs, besides A-arms, radius rods,and ball joints, was the bearing issue in the transmission. I know a lot of guys have had that bearing fail and blow the case out. He said something about an oil mod, so I started searching.

I eventually found the discussion that seemed to originate with the 900, but included videos and information about this mod.
It said you could do this without breaking the trans apart, and I am excited to give it a shot. My 14 XP1k has over 4K miles now, and we tend to ride alone.

Have any of you guys tried this?

·
Registered
607 Posts
@Wheel
can you post links to those vids and articles?
also after 4k mi, do you still feel you need to do this if it hadn't failed after 4k?
im wondering if my 17 XP 4 will have and does have the issue.

·
Registered
545 Posts
@Wheel
can you post links to those vids and articles?
also after 4k mi, do you still feel you need to do this if it hadn't failed after 4k?
im wondering if my 17 XP 4 will have and does have the issue.
XP 900 Transmission - Blown at 1450 miles!

From everything I’ve seen regarding this bearing failure, it appears each and every one of us are at risk. It appears to be a weakness in the oiling system, and one bearing in particular can be oil starved in certain circumstances.

The fact I’ve made it this far without a failure doesn’t make me feel “immune,” rather I feel I just haven’t matched the right style of riding to cause that failure.

I ride alone a lot, and a critical failure like this would really ruin my day. Or a couple of days, even. Using satellite messages to find someone willing to come find me hundreds of miles from town doesn’t sound fun. Of course riding in a group would solve that, it usually isn’t an option for us.

If I can prevent the failure with $10 in parts and an hour of my time, I’m all for it. I just worry about drilling into the case while it’s still in the car, and wonder if those who’ve done this ever had another failure after doing so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
When I did mine, I reviewed how I would get a drill with bit into that area. As well getting a tap into that area. I didn't have a small headed right angle drill to get in there. So I chose to replace all of the bearings, ordered individually from a bearing supplier, a tube of Toyota differential FIPG. That was cheaper than a "kit" of the same from a UTV vender. For the tube to be ideal, it needs a small dam to pool the oil, and have it drain down the tube.

I don't think you will find very many failures the second time. Or any at all, if you do, they used the cheap bearings.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I’d like to know. In the original thread, the one guy replaced the original bearing with a quality bearing and it failed too. I’m wondering if he had any more failures after the mod. Not getting much feedback.

I have everything but the tap and tap wrench, I’m about ready to take a shot at it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a '16 xp4 that we built the trans in for the lower gears. We did not do the oiling mod, and have not had any issues.

Call Josh at cryoheat and buy his treated bearings.

·
Registered
545 Posts
There are folks out there with high-mileage cars and no bearing failures. There are guys who’ve installed quality bearings and had multiple failures.

I’m not convinced the issue is purely the quality of the bearings. I’m more interested to hear if folks who were having regular bearing failures managed to solve their problem with the oil mod.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wondering the same as wheel. Also read in those threads that some just relocated the breather and ran more oil in the gear case. Was that a solution? I'd rather relocate the breather and add oil than drill holes in my transmission.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have tapped into engine cases to add oil coolers on ATVs and big bore race bikes many years ago. It takes some skill to do this properly when you have the case open. Doing it without breaking the case open is a big risk even for an experienced mechanic. Must hit the right spot without causing damage or getting metal shavings in the case. Unless you have the experience of doing this with the case open I would not try it. One mistake and your currently operational machine will need major repairs $$$.

Being that I have done this type of work and many other unthinkable repairs in the past, I see the advantage of this being done when the bearing fails to prevent another failure. We have all kinds of exposed hoses around the engine and with this being so tucked in I don't see much risk after proper install.

I feel we are taking a much safer route by overfilling the trans with quality oil and then change it often. That would help get some oil to that bearing that might be starving for lube on long uphill climbs or side hill sections. So what if you have a little more oil seal weeping. Too much in a gear box is better than too little any day. Stay on top of maintenance. If you have this failure then consider this as part of that repair.
JMHO

·
Registered
545 Posts
So your recommendation is to pull the speed sensor and fill from the top, adding another ~20oz?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts