Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious at what point the "experts" consider the shocks to be overheating and causing fade. After riding at the dunes this weekend, all shocks were almost too hot to touch and of course the rear passenger was too hot to touch.

Obviously the stock shocks need to be revalved, but will that help keep them running cooler or is it just time to go with 2.5's?

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Mine heat up like crazy if im working them which usually im hauling ass. I only have the podiums 1.5 but i have revalved them a few times in their lifetime. The heat is normal but stepping up to a bigger shock body like 2.5 would help definitely.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The dunes really take it to the shocks. I have had a temp gun on the shocks after running up and down comphill and have seen temps past 500deg. Still no fade yet on WER shocks.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been pretty set on getting kings but now am wondering if I should step up to a 2.5. Maybe they can custom build me some or I guess my only other options would be walker Evans or the new fox. I like that with fox you can get 2.5s all around but just not a lot of feedback on them yet.

Surely if 2.0s were causing that much of an issue heating up then so many after market products wouldn't still be using that size.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've been pretty set on getting kings but now am wondering if I should step up to a 2.5. Maybe they can custom build me some or I guess my only other options would be walker Evans or the new fox. I like that with fox you can get 2.5s all around but just not a lot of feedback on them yet.

Surely if 2.0s were causing that much of an issue heating up then so many after market products wouldn't still be using that size.
For what it's worth a rep from the King Shocks booth at SSSS told me they are finishing up testing on new 2.5's for the XP. I'm gonna sit back and wait to see if it's true. I wont be riding until after June of next year anyway.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

For what it's worth a rep from the King Shocks booth at SSSS told me they are finishing up testing on new 2.5's for the XP. I'm gonna sit back and wait to see if it's true. I wont be riding until after June of next year anyway.
:popcorn: i like hearing that. I was planning on calling them and talking to them about building me a set. Did he give any specifics, price, adjustability?

I wont be buying for a couple months so hopefully we will know something by the time im ready to buy

·
Registered
818 Posts
Talked with Brian from WER at the ssss. Told me they have the 2.5 all around but not worth it. The 2.5's in back are a great upgrade and the 2.0's handle the biz great up front. I have the 2.0 all around and have hammered the crap out of these thinks and can't get any shock fade. They get hot enough that even with gloves on it was hot to the feel.

·
Registered
108 Posts
All he said was they were finishing up the fine details on them and they would be done in a few weeks with a price of high $500/piece. Not sure how accurate the info is, he really didnt convince me but then again I'm pretty hard to convince(or stuborn depending how you look at it)

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can get the 2.0 kings for around 2200, so at high $500, more like about $600, that seems possible. 2.5s for around $2,400

I know when researching shocks for my Truck, Thuren likes to use the King 2.5s over the Fox 2.0s, not just becuase of heat disippation and strength of the shock, but he says he can tune them a lot better then the 2.0s. So it seems to me that maybe 2.5s might have an advantage over 2.0s for tunability, or maybe it was just that they are able to tune King shocks better then Fox in general...

Either way i know my shocks were getting crazy hot. Even after sitting for about 15 minutes, they were still pretty dang warm. My front shocks seemed to be just about as hot as my rear shocks too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts