Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have turbo'd a couple RZR's but all of my experience is with water to air systems. For those of you with air to air systems. How hot is your intercooler getting. I am thinking about doing an air to air system that will have an intercooler mounted on the cage. I do major hunting and camping trips a couple times a year in the RZR and I want to make sure I won't burn/melt any gear that may come in contact with the intercooler during those trips.

When running hard in the sand I know they get pretty warm. However if I am hauling gear way back in somewhere I will not be pushing boost the whole time. What are others experiences here? Also I don't plan to run more than 10 psi.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Back to the top. Come one one of you with an above bed intercooler please share some info.

·
Premium Member
12,793 Posts
The more you restrict the air flow over the intercooler the warmer it will become. On the intake side it can get hot enough you can't leave your hand on it, but on the outlet side it's much cooler.
I'm sure you will be fine, just try and leave a little space on the intake side...... if your not running real hard it's not going to be hot enough to be a problem

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So when in Moab on the slower trails etc you can put your hand right on the inlet side of the inter cooler no problem?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I am aware you don't need much boost in Moab. I have been there many times with and without a turbo. I was using that as a example where you don't have much air flowing across the inter cooler because you are driving slower. You also aren't into the boost much. I have only had water to air in those environments. I just wanted to know if the inter coolers on the air to air systems got very warm in that kind of environment?

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
I run 15-22 psi of boost on my Weber Turbo set up. I installed dual SPAL fans on the rear of my intercooler. The inlet side would get so hot you would burn yourself if you touched it for more than a second. But now with the fans, even the inlet side does not get up above 125*. Oulet side is always cool to the touch. Machine runs very consistant now and pulls much harder. Now it seems like I have to run a bilge fan on the clutch outlet to keep the clutches cool. More Hp + More Heat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I run 15-22 psi of boost on my Weber Turbo set up. I installed dual SPAL fans on the rear of my intercooler. The inlet side would get so hot you would burn yourself if you touched it for more than a second. But now with the fans, even the inlet side does not get up above 125*. Oulet side is always cool to the touch. Machine runs very consistant now and pulls much harder. Now it seems like I have to run a bilge fan on the clutch outlet to keep the clutches cool. More Hp + More Heat.
not familiar with your system, is it A/A or water?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts