Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Zex Nitrous kit on my Rzr. They say to retard the timing but I havent found a way to do it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks..

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
Sparky was getting interesting results using the Dynatek ignition module and software to adjust the timing on his turbo RZR.

·
Force it
75 Posts
I just installed a Zex Nitrous kit on my Rzr. They say to retard the timing but I havent found a way to do it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks..
When talking about retarding they usually refer to rolling the CAM back but, if they are talking about the the spark I think you have to remap your ECU.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
how would it run without changing timing? i am looking into getting this kit for my 11.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
When talking about retarding they usually refer to rolling the CAM back but, if they are talking about the the spark I think you have to remap your ECU.
X10
You have to flash the ECU. Check with Swingarm he just installed the kit.

·
Registered
398 Posts
you could install an offset timing key backwards, the engine needs to be pulled to get at theflywheel. time consuming and also permenent.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
the zex kit is seperate (as are most nitrous kits) from the ecu, why wouldn't it work? they don't rely on the programmer to add fuel, the nitrous kit adds the fuel with the nitrous, my only question is about the timing. would it run good without retarding? detonation? i could always run higher octane.

·
Vendor
4,175 Posts
Guys, the timing is controlled by the ECU. You can add the Dynatek DFS9-3 that is programmable with a PC to take over the timing control. You can change the overall timing and change the RPM limit as well. This is what most all use that have a turbo to retart the timing.

·
Registered
871 Posts
the zex kit is seperate (as are most nitrous kits) from the ecu, why wouldn't it work? they don't rely on the programmer to add fuel, the nitrous kit adds the fuel with the nitrous, my only question is about the timing. would it run good without retarding? detonation? i could always run higher octane.
When talking nitrous, you are retarding the ignition timing, not the valve timing. The goal is to let the piston get a little closer to TDC before the combustion event begins. The nitrous is basically adding oxygen, and the fuel/air/N2O mixture will burn quicker than just using atmospheric air alone. Pulling a little timing will help keep peak cylinder pressure closer to TDC. Too much cylinder pressure, too early, can blow holes in pistons, head gaskets, bend rods(worst cases scenarios with a lot of spray), or just keep a motor from making it's maximum potential power(most likely result with a small shot).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts