Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

How dedicated to Off-Road are you?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seeing how dedicated folks here are?

1. They will have to pry my cold dead hands off the steering wheel?
2. Very concerned about losing our trails and will fight to keep them open?
3. Enjoy Off-Roading with the family, but don't get involved in Politics?
4. As long as the trails are open I will ride them, but if they close them oh well?
5. I don't care as long as my Government check shows up and the beer is cold?

Then post what you think and maybe what you do one way or another!

·
eternal noobie
239 Posts
thus far, $4000 to Blue Ribbon Coalition in 2010 :)

does that make me a 2??

·
Banned
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I am a number one, but it is a personal choice, and so many have a disconnect between their politics and their sport!

·
King of crash!
31,881 Posts
i wanted to poke fun at it and vote 5 for fun.... but didnt want to offend anyone after are obam bash the otheir night...

·
Banned
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand, I kinda hung it over the plate with that choice, but once we get some real stats I am looking at a possible trend and wanted to see where everyone fell!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I love riding the trails or racing off road. Not sure how many times I have watched "On any Sunday" but I can probably narrarate most parts myself! My wife just thinks I'm probably nuts!! :rofl3:
I do support organizations that fight for our OHV land rights. We all need to be involved, as we just can't sit around thinking someone else is watching out for our backs. Strentgh in numbers. I've met a lot of good people and made a lot of good friends because of it. So it's a no brainer to help support. :pint:

·
Registered
406 Posts
I started riding in 1990, bought my first ATV then. I am a very heavy fan of this sport. I do all kinds of outdoor stuff but this is my first love. All my extra cash goes to my RZR. I am hooked. I belong to a club in Las Vegas called Dunes and Trails they are very political. We do have to and I hate to start this after the BO thing, kick the liberals out or we will not have any place left to ride.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I have been riding and racing all my life and would like to do more. our MC clubs have to fight for everything we can to race on. Also we have to use some unfavorable areas sometime just to keep them open. Use them or lose them.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have been attending the C-10 meetings at the Oregon Dunes meetings, commenting and helping pass info out.

·
Banned
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For years the battle has been raging!

Bikers Challenge U.S. Action Closing Desert Race Routes
November 22, 1990|JENIFER WARREN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In an escalating battle over the cancellation of this weekend's Barstow-to-Las Vegas motorcycle race, an angry group of motorcycle riders went to court Wednesday seeking permission to stage an alternative ride across the Mojave Desert.
The Sahara Club, in a petition filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, contends that the U.S. Bureau of Land Management violated federal laws when it temporarily closed former race routes to discourage a protest ride planned for Saturday.
Alan Ghaleb, the club's attorney, said the bureau "violated land use and environmental protection laws" by failing to conduct studies and take other steps he said are mandated before public lands can be closed.
"The BLM's action was an unconstitutional, retaliatory maneuver designed to abridge the right to freedom of expression of those who planned a protest ride," Ghaleb said.
The petition, he added, seeks an emergency ruling prohibiting BLM rangers from enforcing the closure order by citing or arresting club riders.
Barbara Maxfield, a BLM spokeswoman, said federal law grants the bureau authority to issue emergency "closure and restriction orders to protect persons, property and public lands and resources."
"We don't want to interfere with anyone's right to protest, but we believe we had to take this step to protect the resources," Maxfield said. "I guess it will be up to the court to decide."
Wednesday's action is the latest development in a bitter skirmish over this year's "B-to-V" race, an event that dates to 1967 and is considered the granddaddy of all amateur off-road motorcycle events.
Earlier this fall, the race's sponsor, the American Motorcyclist Assn., announced it was canceling the event. Because the course crosses habitat of the threatened desert tortoise, the BLM was opposed to a 1990 race, leading sponsors to conclude they would not be able to obtain a permit.
Instead, the AMA organized a substitute, 120-mile race in a nearby valley. Dubbed the "Battle-to-Victory," the race is expected to draw about 500 competitors Saturday.
But some disgruntled riders--led by the 4,000-member Sahara Club--were not satisfied and warned they would hold an unorganized ride of their own along the traditional B-to-V course.

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
For years the battle has been raging!

Bikers Challenge U.S. Action Closing Desert Race Routes
November 22, 1990|JENIFER WARREN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In an escalating battle over the cancellation of this weekend's Barstow-to-Las Vegas motorcycle race, an angry group of motorcycle riders went to court Wednesday seeking permission to stage an alternative ride across the Mojave Desert.
The Sahara Club, in a petition filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, contends that the U.S. Bureau of Land Management violated federal laws when it temporarily closed former race routes to discourage a protest ride planned for Saturday.
Alan Ghaleb, the club's attorney, said the bureau "violated land use and environmental protection laws" by failing to conduct studies and take other steps he said are mandated before public lands can be closed.
"The BLM's action was an unconstitutional, retaliatory maneuver designed to abridge the right to freedom of expression of those who planned a protest ride," Ghaleb said.
The petition, he added, seeks an emergency ruling prohibiting BLM rangers from enforcing the closure order by citing or arresting club riders.
Barbara Maxfield, a BLM spokeswoman, said federal law grants the bureau authority to issue emergency "closure and restriction orders to protect persons, property and public lands and resources."
"We don't want to interfere with anyone's right to protest, but we believe we had to take this step to protect the resources," Maxfield said. "I guess it will be up to the court to decide."
Wednesday's action is the latest development in a bitter skirmish over this year's "B-to-V" race, an event that dates to 1967 and is considered the granddaddy of all amateur off-road motorcycle events.
Earlier this fall, the race's sponsor, the American Motorcyclist Assn., announced it was canceling the event. Because the course crosses habitat of the threatened desert tortoise, the BLM was opposed to a 1990 race, leading sponsors to conclude they would not be able to obtain a permit.
Instead, the AMA organized a substitute, 120-mile race in a nearby valley. Dubbed the "Battle-to-Victory," the race is expected to draw about 500 competitors Saturday.
But some disgruntled riders--led by the 4,000-member Sahara Club--were not satisfied and warned they would hold an unorganized ride of their own along the traditional B-to-V course.
LONG LIVE the Phantom Duck of the Desert!!!

·
Banned
399 Posts
Number 1 all the way!

·
Banned
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Look at the last name!

August 3, 1991 | DAVAN MAHARAJ, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A federal jury in Santa Ana on Friday found four bikers guilty of deliberately violating a federal order that prohibits motorcycling in areas of the Mojave Desert which are inhabited by a threatened species of desert tortoise. After the guilty verdicts were returned, U.S. District Judge Gary L. Taylor ordered the four men to pay fines of $850 each. They are Rick Sieman, Wesley Holmes, Patrick Martin and Barry Van ****, actor Dick Van ****'s son.

·
Banned
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just in case we forget how dedicated some of us were! Remember Finstein and Boxer, if we all voted they would still be racing!

Bikers Kick Up Dust Over Canceled Desert Run; 10 Arrested
Protest: More than 100 motorcyclists demonstrate after the annual Barstow-to-Las Vegas race is called off for environmental reasons.
November 25, 1990|JENIFER WARREN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
BARSTOW — Ten motorcyclists were arrested Saturday during a tense Mojave Desert showdown with federal authorities over cancellation of this year's Barstow-to-Las Vegas dirt bike race.
More than 100 angry dirt bikers, declaring themselves defenders of Americans' right to use the nation's public lands, joined in the protest on a wind-swept patch of desert about 25 miles northeast of Barstow.
Despite a brief shoving match between a demonstrator and rangers with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, there were no injuries, authorities said.
Four dirt bikers dressed in colorful racing regalia were arrested after they sped around a phalanx of federal rangers onto land the BLM had temporarily closed in hopes of discouraging an off-road protest ride through environmentally sensitive terrain.
One rider's bike stalled in the sand a short distance away. But the other three--thrusting their fists skyward in a victory salute--were chased about 40 miles across the desert by a San Bernardino County sheriff's helicopter before they ran low on fuel and stopped, BLM District Ranger Felicia Probert said.
The four--who face up to one year in prison and a $100,000 fine if convicted of violating the BLM's land closure order--were identified as Rick Sieman, Wesley Holmes, Barry VanDyke and Patrick Martin. They were taken to San Bernardino County Jail in Barstow, where they were cited and released.
Five other bikers were arrested and cited for similar violations farther east of Barstow. And a 10th protester--Buena Park electrician Louis McKey--was taken into custody after he attempted to block a U.S. Army tank motoring across the closed lands from nearby Ft. Irwin.
"These tanks are doing more damage than a bunch of motorcycles," McKey, 59, yelled before being led away and handcuffed. "Our rights are being blatantly violated."
Dozens of other demonstrators, meanwhile, mounted their bikes and followed routes around the closed territory without interference from law enforcement officials.
"We came to ride, so we're gonna' ride," said Jim Smith of Laguna Hills, a member of a Christian motorcycle club. "Barstow-to-Vegas is an important event to us. It's a tradition. That's why we're here to make this statement."
The Barstow-to-Vegas race, first run in 1967, is considered the premiere amateur dirt bike race in the world, drawing 1,200 riders and thousands of spectators annually. Racers use dry washes, dirt roads and trails to travel the timed course, which stretches up to 150 bone-jarring miles.

·
Banned
399 Posts
Robert something tells me that you are full of sh_t.

·
Registered
294 Posts
for me, firearms in the state of California are my main battle. That is where my main contributions go. Very important to me. I feel once California goes others will pile on. It is in every gun owners best interest to watch an be involved no matter what state you are from. The land stuff is a close second with my activism. The crap that continually happens at Sand Mountain, NV drives me crazy.

·
Boats and ***s
3,184 Posts
for me, firearms in the state of California are my main battle. That is where my main contributions go. Very important to me. I feel once California goes others will pile on. It is in every gun owners best interest to watch an be involved no matter what state you are from. The land stuff is a close second with my activism. The crap that continually happens at Sand Mountain, NV drives me crazy.
i second on the firearms, pissed about whats happening here in cali. now a new law about purchasing ammunition is ridiculus, but thats hijacking this thread.
:shhh:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.