Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
I bought a Pro XP4 Ultimate with the fold flat rear seats. I would like to take our dog along on our trail rides but he won’t sit still. If anyone is familiar with the Belgian Malinois breed then you will know there are only two speeds. Sleep and Warp speed on crack.
I’m thinking to use a seatbelt harness but not sure how that will work with the Polaris harness. Also I’m not sure what I would use for the mat/padding for him to rest on.
I can’t leave him unhooked because he will be all over the place in the machine. When I take him along with us camping he has to go in his pet carrier in the bed because he jumps over the seat into my lap to look out the window. A 90lb dog is not easy to deal with when jumping from side to side and front to back in the cab.

So with all that said, how do you all bring along your dogs? Pictures would be great if you have them.
Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
A few years ago when I was into Jeeps there was a company that sold a harness that went around their chest and butt somehow that had a leash ring on the chest/bottom that was attached to a short strap that was then hooked to an attachment point on the seat/platform in the event of a rollover the dog would be restrained and not thrown around inside the rig.

Quick google search netted this result K9 Outfitters

·
Registered
621 Posts
A few years ago when I was into Jeeps there was a company that sold a harness that went around their chest and butt somehow that had a leash ring on the chest/bottom that was attached to a short strap that was then hooked to an attachment point on the seat/platform in the event of a rollover the dog would be restrained and not thrown around inside the rig.

Quick google search netted this result K9 Outfitters
^^^^ what he said. We also have one that clicks into the seat belt latch for the Jeep and other vehicles that we own.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
My wife bought something like this, was about 1/2 the price….not sure if it was Rural King or Walmart, but you get the idea. On top of this we put his big bed and then a huge towel over that. Put the seat bottom down and took out the backrest. He was at first a bit nervous, but then he always is about anything new. He was fine by the time we were out 3 or 4 times, but my wife was still in the back with him. It’s just our little guy.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only thing i've found my dog being afraid of is a vacuum. I tried putting a piece of plywood with carpet on it and mounting it to my King quad but he wouldn't stay put. He wanted to run beside me. So rather than kill him by running him we would lock him in the trailer or leave him at a Kennel. I hate doing that because I love taking him camping. He loves it just as much as we do. I will pick up a harness and maybe a floor mat this week and then maybe a cargo net to divide the seats between him and my son so he doesn't try climbing into his lap to look at what is on his side of the machine.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The only thing i've found my dog being afraid of is a vacuum. I tried putting a piece of plywood with carpet on it and mounting it to my King quad but he wouldn't stay put. He wanted to run beside me. So rather than kill him by running him we would lock him in the trailer or leave him at a Kennel. I hate doing that because I love taking him camping. He loves it just as much as we do. I will pick up a harness and maybe a floor mat this week and then maybe a cargo net to divide the seats between him and my son so he doesn't try climbing into his lap to look at what is on his side of the machine.
I don't mean to sound like a dick, and I know going over this ahead of time in my head it is likely to come across that way, so I apologize in advance.

Do you know what type of dog you own? They like to work (ie. run). You literally have the breed that jumps out of planes with paratroopers, rappels of rooftops with SWAT, etc. Probably the easiest breed to find a tactical harness for and has likely been strapped into more vehicles than I can imagine. Get him some rex specs and train him to sit in the seat you want him in.

First things first though and it starts with training. If he's off leash will he follow you? Will he listen to your commands? Start by letting him run around the yard following the RZR as you drive around the house. As he gets tired open the door and let him in and continue riding around. If he doesn't sit still and paces, he's not tired - kick him out and keep going. It works better if you have a private place to ride around. The more you work with him the better and faster it will go. You can't just expect him to know what to do or how to act in an offroad vehicle if he hasn't been taught.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't mean to sound like a dick, and I know going over this ahead of time in my head it is likely to come across that way, so I apologize in advance.

Do you know what type of dog you own? They like to work (ie. run). You literally have the breed that jumps out of planes with paratroopers, rappels of rooftops with SWAT, etc. Probably the easiest breed to find a tactical harness for and has likely been strapped into more vehicles than I can imagine. Get him some rex specs and train him to sit in the seat you want him in.

First things first though and it starts with training. If he's off leash will he follow you? Will he listen to your commands? Start by letting him run around the yard following the RZR as you drive around the house. As he gets tired open the door and let him in and continue riding around. If he doesn't sit still and paces, he's not tired - kick him out and keep going. It works better if you have a private place to ride around. The more you work with him the better and faster it will go. You can't just expect him to know what to do or how to act in an offroad vehicle if he hasn't been taught.
I’m well aware of the breed. I worked with them in the Army. Both of mine were narcotic and patrol trained. Neither one of those dogs would sit still in a patrol car no matter their training. This one is no different when it comes to riding inside a vehicle.

I know there are plenty of tactical harnesses out there. Are they crash rated? What I was looking for was auto specific that locked them in place so he’s not climbing over everyone and wanting to see what it looks like from their window.
I’ve never used them because I’ve always used a crate in the back of my truck. My last two trucks had leather seats and the wife’s 4Runner does as well. Didn’t want the interior destroyed.
I can’t uses his crate because it would take up the entire back of the rzr if it would even fit.

I appreciate the comment and I didn’t think you came off as a Dick. Dick!😜🤪😜

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'd think a tactical harness capable of keeping them safe during a parachute opening would do the same in a vehicle crash. Might have to go custom on a lead or way to connect it to the vehicle, but it might have already been done. I mean there are both SxS and dogs in close proximity to SpecOps teams in various military operations.

FWIW, we trained my brother's German Shepard as above, she rides in the passenger seat on my RZR, my mom's Ranger, and his X3 whether or not an existing passenger likes it or not. Her reaction time is better than ours and she will bail if needed. It's to the point now, if he gets his key out, she jumps in the passenger seat and waits. She's still getting used to rex specs, but only has issues now if they get covered in mud.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Wanted to add, since it's a 4 seater, maybe look into nets and see if you can turn the back seat area into a "dog cage"

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Look on Amazon, while I don’t use these I would start with two. One for the outside and the for the inside. Looks like you no light keep him in. Maybe one more?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would love to get the side door nets. I haven’t seen them for the Pro XP4 rear doors though.
I will pick up that rear net though just to keep the dust down.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
I have that back window net in my Pro XP4 and it fits and works great. I do a lot of bird hunting in the fall and have 6 German Shorthair pointers. I am converting the back seat into a spot for a couple of my hunting dogs to ride in. I started with a horse stall mat from tractor supply. I cut it to fit on the floor to fill in all the holes. I then threw in one of those hammock shaped back seat protectors I had for my truck. I used some spring clips I got from home depot to just clip it to the bar behind the front seats and the back seat back rest supports. It fits the back seat area good. I am in the process of making some window nets out of 2" webbing with snap clips. I am also adding two kolpin hard plastic gun holders and some clips to hang our bird vests. It is coming along pretty nicely.

For my dogs I put tactical vests on them and connect a lead from the bar going down the center of my cage to the vest just to keep them in the Rzr if something happens. My dogs are well trained and won't jump out unless told too. They love riding around in the Rzr and getting this 4 seat Pro will greatly expand my hunting area.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have that back window net in my Pro XP4 and it fits and works great. I do a lot of bird hunting in the fall and have 6 German Shorthair pointers. I am converting the back seat into a spot for a couple of my hunting dogs to ride in. I started with a horse stall mat from tractor supply. I cut it to fit on the floor to fill in all the holes. I then threw in one of those hammock shaped back seat protectors I had for my truck. I used some spring clips I got from home depot to just clip it to the bar behind the front seats and the back seat back rest supports. It fits the back seat area good. I am in the process of making some window nets out of 2" webbing with snap clips. I am also adding two kolpin hard plastic gun holders and some clips to hang our bird vests. It is coming along pretty nicely.

For my dogs I put tactical vests on them and connect a lead from the bar going down the center of my cage to the vest just to keep them in the Rzr if something happens. My dogs are well trained and won't jump out unless told too. They love riding around in the Rzr and getting this 4 seat Pro will greatly expand my hunting area.
The horse mat sounds like a good idea. I have a Tractor Supply a few miles away.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts