Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to get a stock RZR and was wondering how the stock wheels and tires are?

I know the rims are plain, what do recommened if I decided to upgrade? How much would it cost. Thanks (this would be for northern IL type conditions)

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
Most go to wider tires on wheels with a wider offset. I have Pure Polaris alum wheels 9X26 on 14" wheels in front 11" wide in back. Front width 52" Rear width 55".

I also have a set of P.P. Alum original size for 50" trails.I do not like the anemic 2ply tires, and am looking for a replacement.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had the stock tires and rims for a short time. They worked okay for the type riding we do, but the rubber was pretty soft and they got chewed up pretty quick on the sharp broken granite and quartz in the mountains here. I switched to the Polaris aluminum wheels and Terracross XD tires and kept the stock width. These tires are holding up really well.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have the 09 LE wheels with the stock tires and they have worked good so far. The only times I get stuck are when I get high-centered in the mud on the skid plate. (need to get a lift) I would like to upgrade to better mud tires someday but for now they do fine.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Most tires that come stock on ATVs are crap. I was very surprised how good these bias ply 25" Maxxis tires are on the standard RZR. On rides, I constantly pull through deep mud and have driven past many a stuck quad that had larger, more aggressive tires than I do on the RZR. The tires ride good on hardpack trails and roads and you can break them loose (with a heavy foot) on any surface to powerslide. They have taken a beating so far on rocks too. They can be a bit slippery on wet grass. I have yet to try them out in snow. When they wear out I will replace them with a radial tire, not sure which ones yet though. My 0.02

·
Registered
140 Posts
Getting ready to get a stock RZR and was wondering how the stock wheels and tires are?

I know the rims are plain, what do recommened if I decided to upgrade? How much would it cost. Thanks (this would be for northern IL type conditions)
Heavy...

You can get a set of tires shipped to you for around $350, depending on which one you want. Take weight into consideration when selecting a tire, traction isn't really an issue in these cars unless you do alot of sand and deep mud.

Wheels is where the money is. If you want Beadlocks, they will run you around $1000-1500 per set if you get fancy. You do get what you pay for though. I'd say check the classifieds and try to find a set used, you will save alot of dough.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I bought mine about 3 years ago with 14" Crushers w/Rawhides. A couple of weeks ago I installed 12" Crushers W/Maxxis tires. It is a whole new machine now. Handles better. Rides better. Better mud protection even after I took off my fender flairs to get every thing back to stock width. Its like driving a completely different machine. How much to I like the new stock set up? I was going to keep the 14" just in case. Sold 'em on Craigs list last week. Good riddance!

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
I bought mine about 3 years ago with 14" Crushers w/Rawhides. A couple of weeks ago I installed 12" Crushers W/Maxxis tires. It is a whole new machine now. Handles better. Rides better. Better mud protection even after I took off my fender flairs to get every thing back to stock width. Its like driving a completely different machine. How much to I like the new stock set up? I was going to keep the 14" just in case. Sold 'em on Craigs list last week. Good riddance!
Which new Maxxis tires did you go with?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Most tires that come stock on ATVs are crap. I was very surprised how good these bias ply 25" Maxxis tires are on the standard RZR. On rides, I constantly pull through deep mud and have driven past many a stuck quad that had larger, more aggressive tires than I do on the RZR. The tires ride good on hardpack trails and roads and you can break them loose (with a heavy foot) on any surface to powerslide. They have taken a beating so far on rocks too. They can be a bit slippery on wet grass. I have yet to try them out in snow. When they wear out I will replace them with a radial tire, not sure which ones yet though. My 0.02
Same conclusion here. I figured upgrading the tires would be one of the first mods i made to the rzr. However, i was surprised to find the stockers work well on the soft pack i typically drive on. I think directional tread is the best way to go for me.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Which new Maxxis tires did you go with?
Just the regular Maxxis that come with the 08 models. Not the Bighorns.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
I too have an '09 RZR LE (Standard). I bought a duplicate set of tires/rims and put ITP Mudlites on them. In my opinion it gives me the best of both worlds. I have about $400 for the extra set including the ITP Mudlites.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts