Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2014 900 xp 4 rzr. I just put a new belt on and was doing a break in period where i would drive for about 1/2 hr-1hr without punching it and drive easy. After about an hour I took it home and decided to pull the clutch cover off cause something didn't seem right. I was getting that belt burning smell the odd time through my ride. And a couple of times towards the end of the ride I gave a cpl punches and it seemed like the belt was spinning a bit. The clutch cover was extremely hot and the clutches were super hot. I spit on them and it made that sizzle sound from being so damn hot. The clutches were hotter than the muffler. I spit on it too and there wasn't any sizzle sound. I am thinking that was the reason i only got less than a 100 kms on last belt. Why would the clutches be getting so hot?? I think they are melting the belts and causing them to explode into 100 pieces. I checked the oil level and its all good. There is a 6" lift and large tires on it but I didn't notice the clutches getting so hot before. Please Help before I blow another belt.

Thanks

·
Vendor
10,234 Posts
Could be several things, just a couple to think on

Rollers in secondary clutch flat spotted

Spider nut and spider backing off in primary clutch

One of them is not working as it should

Todd

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Could be belt guts jammed up in the primary and secondary?

·
Smooth Moderator
3,209 Posts
Have you cleaned out the clutch cover vent ducting? If you've blown belts, the material will fly out that vent duct and sometimes it gets stuck in there. If that's the case, the housing has no way to vent and it can get pretty toasty in there as you've found out. If its clear and its getting that hot, then its because the belt is slipping a lot most likely because the clutch isn't working correctly for a lot of the reasons Todd stated above.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can the secondary clutch bolt be on too tight? Would that cause the clutch to not work properly?? I pulled both clutches off the last belt change to clean them. I torqued down the primary to spec cause you can get a hammer in there and its easily torqued. Does the secondary have to be torqued to certain spec? If so what is it and how do you hold the clutch still to get it torqued. I just used an air ratchet and cranked it on. The same way I got it off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts