Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at 6” portals for my 2020 Highlifter 4 Seater. Trying to decide between the superatv ones and the HL ones. I like the dual idler gear setup on the HL. Also the 60% reduction in the HL. Anyone know of any issues with either setup? I plan on running 37’s. We don’t ride fast. Their about the same price.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I run SATV portals and have no experience with HL portals. I will tell you that given the HL OEM gear reduction 60% is too much for 37s. I would go with 30% or 45% at the most.

·
Registered
468 Posts
When I bought mine the main factor for me was where they were made, Hi Lifter bought SXS Gear and back than SXS Gear was manufactured in Flint Michigan, good ole USA.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
You need to pick your setup and build around it. Calculate the gear ratio vs tires. Why do you think dual idlers are necessary?

·
Registered
468 Posts
And SXS gear made a piss poor product...ask me how many gears I busted. So none of that matters.
I have over 1000 miles on mine, zero issues, my dad has super atv portals with over a 1000 miles with zero issues, for me it was just a personal choice on where I wanted my dollars to go. Anything can be broke.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I have over 1000 miles on mine, zero issues, my dad has super atv portals with over a 1000 miles with zero issues, for me it was just a personal choice on where I wanted my dollars to go. Anything can be broke.

You said you based your decision on "HL bought SXS Gear". SXS Gear was a one man show (Chris) and the design and materials where piss poor. So bad I use to carry 2 sets of spare gears because the teeth would shear off. Finally I had to give up on them because they broke so often. I have ZERO experience with the new HL portals but I hope they are not based on the SXS Gear design.

I was running portals and big tires LONG before most even knew what portals were, way before SATV or HL made portals. I am glad to see more companies getting into portals so customers have a choice and it will help develop the product to better levels.

·
Registered
468 Posts
You said you based your decision on "HL bought SXS Gear". SXS Gear was a one man show (Chris) and the design and materials where piss poor. So bad I use to carry 2 sets of spare gears because the teeth would shear off. Finally I had to give up on them because they broke so often. I have ZERO experience with the new HL portals but I hope they are not based on the SXS Gear design.

I was running portals and big tires LONG before most even knew what portals were, way before SATV or HL made portals. I am glad to see more companies getting into portals so customers have a choice and it will help develop the product to better levels.
I said when I bought mine, which was before Chris sold to Hi Lifter.

·
Registered
304 Posts
SXS gear and Chris have nothing to do with the new generation of HL portals. They are all designed and tested in house now. I have the 60% dual idlers with 38s.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

That’s why your my hero Joe. I ran portals in late 2014/early 2015 but they still weren’t reliable at that point. I wouldn’t run portals if you paid me to at this point. Absolute junk. But hey if you wanna be stranded somewhere with a heavy machine sitting on a locked up portal be my guest. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How do you like them so far?
1 ride on them I love them. With 35’s in low it crawls up anything. i did notice yesterday though when I had the front end off of the ground I grabbed the top and bottom of wheel and shook it hard to check the bearing and I have a teeny tiny bit of play in what looks like the bearing. Both sides do it. I have to shake it pretty hard so I’m not worried about it. There’s no thud or leaks so meh. But yea I recommend them.

·
Registered
468 Posts
1 ride on them I love them. With 35’s in low it crawls up anything. i did notice yesterday though when I had the front end off of the ground I grabbed the top and bottom of wheel and shook it hard to check the bearing and I have a teeny tiny bit of play in what looks like the bearing. Both sides do it. I have to shake it pretty hard so I’m not worried about it. There’s no thud or leaks so meh. But yea I recommend them.
I had to re tighten my axel nuts twice before I got them tight enough, now they have been good for over 1000 miles so far.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don’t think this is the axle nut not being tight enough. I think it’s the bearings. I will retorque tonight before I put on tires. I torqued them to 120 like it says. Maybe I’ll up it to 130?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts