Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for high clearance A-arms for my 2015 S 900 to get more ground clearance and fit 30" tires. While reading a bunch of threads I made some notes which might help others so I am posting them up here.

I’m pretty new to UTVs and learned a few things along the way..... arched A-arms do not increase overall ground clearance. They only provide more ground clearance under the arms themselves because they are bent up and will clear rocks, etc that might have hit the factory arms because they are straight and hang lower. To increase overall ground clearance, you need bigger tires or a lift.

Some aftermarket A-arms are offset to the front and rear compared to the factory arms to increase wheelbase and clear bigger tires, others are not offset at all and maintain factory dimensions. As to offset arms, the fronts are offset forward and the rears are offset rearward. So if the front and rear arms are both offset 1.5", the wheelbase would be increased by 3".

Increasing wheelbase supposedly makes the vehicle more stable in certain situations like hill climbs or riding fast in the desert. But a longer wheelbase makes it harder to handle tight turns so there is a trade off.

Some companies also sell lifts along with high clearance A-arms. But lifts are another trade off. The taller the car, the higher the center of gravity which could make it more unstable in turns, off camber, etc. Longer A-arms are also possible but extra width is another trade off, a wider vehicle can be more stable but it might not fit between obstacles or squeeze on your trailer. Some A-arm kits require 4+3 offset wheels for clearance which also increases vehicle width, an important factor to check out.

So for me here in the AZ desert (I ride mostly on tight trails, some open fast trails, hills and rocks, no mud) I feel that offset arched arms and 30" tires will give me enough overall ground clearance without any lift and will help in ruts and rocks. I don't want any additional width since there are lots of tight spots on the trails. Most importantly offset arms will give me more room to fit 30" tires.

I found 10 companies that sell aftermarket A-arms. Here is a list with some details about their products. Only the first 5 companies sell kits with front and rear offset A-arms with no lift that fit the S 900.

1) Super ATV - Front and rear offset high clearance A-arm kits for the S 900.

Front kit: $299.95
Rear kit: $299.95

Front offset: 1.5” forward
Rear offset: 1.5” rearward

1.25” DOM steel tubing
Adjustable camber
Uses factory ball joints and bushings
Works with factory wheels/tires
Company says Rhino axles required with rear kit - extra cost $399.90

2) Highlifter - Front and rear offset high clearance A-arm kits for the S 900

Front kit: $429.95
Rear kit: $389.95

Front offset: 1.5” forward
Rear offset: 1.5” rearward

1.0625” DOM steel tubing
No camber adjustment
Works with factory wheels/tires/axles

3) Off Road Beast (ORB) - Front and rear offset high clearance A-arm kits for the S 900 with Heim joints

Front kit: $760 w/color, $700 raw
Rear kit: $610 w/color, $550 raw

Front offset: 2”
Rear offset: 1.5”

1.25” DOM steel tubing
Adjustable camber
Uses factory bushings
Chromoly Heims are used in place of ball joints
Company says must use a spacer with factory wheels or
14” 4-3 offset aftermarket wheels

4) HCR Racing - Front and rear offset high clearance A-arm kits for the S 900

Front and rear kit sold as one item: $1,990 raw, $200 extra for powder coat

Front offset: 1”
Rear offset: 1”

Tig welded 4130 steel box construction
No camber adjustment
Works with factory wheels/tires/axles

5) RacerTech - Front and rear offset high clearance A-arm kits for the S 900

Kit: $2,495
Front offset: 1”
Rear offset: ??
Adjustable camber/caster
Heim joints
Chromoly tubing
Build to order 3-4 weeks

6) Outcast Fab Works - 5” lift kit with 8 control arms, lowers arched for S 900

Kit $875
Front offset: 1.5”
Rear offset: 0.0”
Lift brackets require aftermarket axles

7) Rage Customs - Arched front/rear lowers and 4” lift kit for the S 900

Front lowers: $449.99
Rear lowers: $449.99
Full lift kit: $999.99

No offset arms, all direct factory replacement
Lift kit includes front shock relocation bracket and hardware

8) Special Carrier - Heim jointed 2” offset high clearance A-arm kit for the 2011-2014 900XP

Kit: $730 powdercoated
Chromoly Heim joints in place of ball joints
Adjustable camber
Works with factory axles

9) Zbros - No A-arms for Rzr S 900

10) Cognito - No A-arms for Rzr S 900

If I left any vendors out or messed up the details on any of these vendors, please post corrections.

Also any comments or recommendations on any of these products would be great. The more I can learn the better! :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the super atv a arms love them only thing is voided my warranty and when my from diff blew they would not cover anything. On the other hand i was riding this weekend and slide into a huge rock didn't move lol and smashed my whole side and only bent the T joint on the end of the a arms if i had stock a arms would of been destroyed. Called them up Monday its under warranty and having a new only hopefully tom no charge thats how awesome they are!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I run the SATV, and I run the factory axles in the rear. No popping or problems, haven't broken an axle. I figured if Highlifter could to a 1.5 rear offset without new axles, I probably could keep my stock axles. I just tweaked my alignment to my preference this past weekend, which was easy to do as well. For the price I think they can't be beat. Don't forget to get the forum discount as well.

They also offer a lifetime no-questions-asked warranty. I called and confirmed - if I wrap it around a tree, I can send back any damaged arms and get them replaced for the cost of shipping the broken ones back. They've performed great for me, and I would buy them all over again.

As you can see, I'm also running big heavy tires. 30" outback max, about 55lbs each, and having no problems.

Also forgot to mention - I've called and talked to them about many different things, very knowledgeable team every time I call, they get me the answer. I've had them take my number and they always call me back. Great company.

Attachments

·
5,556 Posts
I have the super atv a arms love them only thing is voided my warranty and when my from diff blew they would not cover anything. On the other hand i was riding this weekend and slide into a huge rock didn't move lol and smashed my whole side and only bent the T joint on the end of the a arms if i had stock a arms would of been destroyed. Called them up Monday its under warranty and having a new only hopefully tom no charge thats how awesome they are!!
I run the SATV, and I run the factory axles in the rear. No popping or problems, haven't broken an axle. I figured if Highlifter could to a 1.5 rear offset without new axles, I probably could keep my stock axles. I just tweaked my alignment to my preference this past weekend, which was easy to do as well. For the price I think they can't be beat.

They also offer a lifetime no-questions-asked warranty. I called and confirmed - if I wrap it around a tree, I can send back any damaged arms and get them replaced for the cost of shipping the broken ones back. They've performed great for me, and I would buy them all over again.

As you can see, I'm also running big heavy tires. 30" outback max, about 55lbs each, and having no problems.
Thanks for chiming in with you good experiences guys, greatly appreciated. We stand behind all our products 110% percent. Anyone wanting a great deal on any of our products don't hesitate to send me over a PM for a great deal.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When you buy the super atv arms do they include upper and lower? And also if apexx616 is running the rears on stock axles,do you have to run the rhino axles or is it more of a precaution?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hopefully you do get them, they sure as hell havent sent me my rear A-arms for my scrambler, its been two years since they said they would, more than once.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I ordered Sunday front and rear arched and raked a arms with the 3 inch lift. When I get them on will let u know what I think of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you buy the super atv arms do they include upper and lower? And also if apexx616 is running the rears on stock axles,do you have to run the rhino axles or is it more of a precaution?
If you buy a kit that is offset forward or rearward you have to get uppers and lowers, no way to offset the wheel hubs without changing both.

Some of these kits only include arched lowers but they have no offset. You would use that type kit if you don't want to increase your wheelbase but do want the extra clearance of the arched arms.

Pretty sure SATV does sell front A-arms with no offset but I think that kit does include uppers and lowers. Definitely check with them to make sure you get the right kit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I didn't fully read the details about the arms on there website. It is a complete kit with 4 arms. That's my bad
Now I'm just curious about the axles for the rear.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't fully read the details about the arms on there website. It is a complete kit with 4 arms. That's my bad
Now I'm just curious about the axles for the rear.
Yes, the issue with axles for the rear is a tough one for me too because SATV says you need the aftermarket axles (they sell Rhino) but many guys here on the forum run the rear kit with factory axles and say they have no problems.

If you watch the Video labled "How to Check for Axle bind" on this link, I think you will see the answer:

Polaris RZR S 900 High Clearance Rear Offset A-Arms : Polaris : RZR S 900 : A-Arms

The video shows that the factory axles definitely bind at full droop, which is obviously bad. BUT, you can also see when the guy in the video lifts the hub a couple of inches, the factory axles turn free. Therefore when the car is on the ground at ride height, the axles will not be binding. The axles will only bind at full droop so if you never (or rarely and briefly) get full droop, you should be fine based on what other guys have said.

If I had the SATV rear kit with factory axles I would definitely not be jumping the car but I would like to know what happens if one side gets in full droop as in rock crawling and that axle gets bound up. Does it break immediately and if so are other parts also damaged like the diff or hub? That could get real expensive.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If I had the SATV rear kit with factory axles I would definitely not be jumping the car but I would like to know what happens if one side gets in full droop as in rock crawling and that axle gets bound up. Does it break immediately and if so are other parts also damaged like the diff or hub? That could get real expensive.
That would be the same question for me. I'm not a Rally type driver. But rock crawling is not uncommon. At what point is axle bind an issue?

·
5,556 Posts
Yes kit comes with both upper and lower a-arms.

I am unsure how he is getting away using stock axles in the rear check out this video showing a stock axle is in a bind before hooking shock back up:

·
5,556 Posts
Hopefully you do get them, they sure as hell havent sent me my rear A-arms for my scrambler, its been two years since they said they would, more than once.
That sure does not sound like us. We take great pride in customer service and stand behind our word and products. Sending you over a PM now to get more info on your situation.

·
Go Big or Go Home!
1,650 Posts
I have had the HighLifter since release and have had no issues! I am running stock axles with QBT446 30" tires, HMF full exhaust, BMP Bully dog tuner, Quadboss clutch kit and RacerTech springs with 14" Ground clearance front and rear. Not to mention the added weight of all the other accessories!

·
Registered
200 Posts
So who sells arched a arms that do NOT change the offset or factory geometry?
Superatv sells a front a-arm kit thats arched and zero offset.... ORB does to i believe but as far as rear im not sure

1 - 20 of 40 Posts