Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
A little off track but anyone try the Turbo S inner/outer housings?

Also how do you guys get ahold of Adam at Airdam? I tried awhile back and gave up - email, site message, phone calls - no answer or reply to any.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Have you removed the clutches and cleaned them, It is easy to miss getting out a piece of belt that is stuck in one of the clutches and is not allowing
them to open or close properly. It has to be something weird we have 4 RZR turbo cars, all 2 seaters, 17 or 18 and run hard all the tine, climb hill 6 and 7
multiple times topping out at 40+ MPH at the top, so we are not babying them and we have not seen a belt problem yet. One of the machines that
was purchased in late 16 as a 17 model has approximately 2000 miles on it and at least 1500 are dune miles. We run high range 4 wheel drive
all the time.

????????????????

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Agreed... weird. Pulled and cleaned secondary before this belt. Removed cover and spring from primary and cleaned. I haven’t pulled the whole primary but will be soon.

·
Registered
106 Posts
What was the ambient temp outside, how many passengers, what paddles? We always run coverless at the dunes, duning is very hard on the clutches. 240 isn't unreasonable in a 4 seater. In the summer here in the desert we get 1-2 high speed runs before the belts are approaching failure temps. This is with the 16 and a 17.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RZRForums.net mobile app

·
Registered
962 Posts
A little off track but anyone try the Turbo S inner/outer housings?

Also how do you guys get ahold of Adam at Airdam? I tried awhile back and gave up - email, site message, phone calls - no answer or reply to any.
Just keep trying, he’s just crazy busy right now supporting all the Baja race teams. They take up the majority of his time and this time of the year is the busiest for them. So he swampped in there.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I kept breaking belts in the dunes also. 230 - 245 degrees all the time. I finally decided to remove the cover, and I re-mounted my Razorback gauge to the metal inner-cover so I can continue to watch belt temp.

I never saw my belt get over 200 during Thanksgiving weekend out at Dumont. I see so many machines out there not running clutch covers. I didn't break a single belt the entire week we were out there. I'm pretty sure I am done running a cover while duning.

Also, I bought a new Primary and Secondary clutch specifically set-up for duning from Adam at Airdam. Very happy with my purchase
Where on the inner metal housing did you mount it? Got a pic? Thinking of doing the same on mine. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
I ride dunes hard all day and do a lot of rock crawling in Moab. Since I have installed my two blowers I have not seen a belt temp above 210. I also have a Razorback belt temp gauge. The other great thing about this set up is how fast the belt cools when I stop. The MTNTK Blowhole runs any time the engine is on. The Desertcraft CVT Blaster II is run off of a switch. I turn this one on when it is needed. My avg temp when at the dunes would be around 185. I changed out my belt on my Turbo with 1200 miles on it. You would of had a hard time telling the new belt for the used belt. I changed it because I want a good used belt ready to go if I ever needed to change the belt on a ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Bimmer what were temps before adding blowers?

HdHogan... deflection looks good, maybe a little tight. I got the STV alignment tool in the mail this week and hope to get clutches off this weekend. Temps 70’s?, 500 pounds riders and gear. I’d hit 260 climbing one dune, not on a long run.

Belts blown were OEM, current belt is a GBOOST and looks glazed after the Glamis run over Thanksgiving references above.

I know a lot of guys say there’s no belt adjustment on the 17/18 turbos but it has to be that, or clutch balance. Belt is riding centered in the primary, clutches look fine.

I’m hoping the alignment tool won’t fit... if it does I’m down to new clutches.

·
Registered
106 Posts

HdHogan... deflection looks good, maybe a little tight. I got the STV alignment tool in the mail this week and hope to get clutches off this weekend. Temps 70’s?, 500 pounds riders and gear. I’d hit 260 climbing one dune, not on a long run.

Belts blown were OEM, current belt is a GBOOST and looks glazed after the Glamis run over Thanksgiving references above.

I know a lot of guys say there’s no belt adjustment on the 17/18 turbos but it has to be that, or clutch balance. Belt is riding centered in the primary, clutches look fine.

Yeah that definitely is weird. Did you pull the primary yet? How to the rollers and bearing look?

·
Registered
106 Posts

Sorry missed the part about this weekend, post up some pics when you get them off

·
Premium Member
910 Posts

Before I did any blowers I had the Razorback only. I would be at the dunes and 80 degrees outside temp I would hit 230-240 riding hard. I would always have to stop to let the belt cool down. Now with my set up I have NEVER had to stop to let my belt cool down because of the high temp. I do have to stop not for my machine temp but for the guys I ride with getting hot belts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not sure if this helps but I was having the same issue but much higher temps. If I ran above 70 mph belt would heat up to about 350 and explode within 2 miles or so. Took it to dealer because I'm still under warranty. They said a spring was loose in the primary and needed to be replaced. They also said that the primary was over-torqued(Must have been factory I've never touched it). Polaris warrantied the parts and the belt. I'm supposed to go pick it up today.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I probably would have hit 350 if I hadn’t kept stopping so frequently… See if they will give you more details on what was over torqued or which spring was loose?

Thanks!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Not sure if this helps but I was having the same issue but much higher temps. If I ran above 70 mph belt would heat up to about 350 and explode within 2 miles or so. Took it to dealer because I'm still under warranty. They said a spring was loose in the primary and needed to be replaced. They also said that the primary was over-torqued(Must have been factory I've never touched it). Polaris warrantied the parts and the belt. I'm supposed to go pick it up today.
350 belt temp makes no sense, these belts can’t take that much heat, no belt can. The rubber would melt into a ball. Most belts explode around 230-250. Razorback default warnings (blinking red light) come on at 200 degrees and expand at 220 (faster blinking light). They serve as a warning you’re entering danger zone and will explode soon. My belt exploded at 240, oem turbo belt. Seriously think you have a problem with your belt temp gauge, no belt can take that. May need to recalibrate your temp sensor.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I basically have same problems and have been following thread this since the beginning. 65 degrees out at the dunes and 5 mins into the ride and mine is 250 and as far as 300 soon after depending on how hard we go. I have checked everything even bought alignment tool. I have only blown one belt but still sucks. I just shut the thing off and dune. I will continue to follow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Good point about 350... but belt failure history tells me my 260 is probably right. I’ll check cal on gauge today. Still waiting on clutch puller until Tuesday anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Razorback 3.0 is right on. Propped up cover and held a coffee cup of ice water under sensor, 32*. Boiled water and it read 170*. That seemed low so I brought it back in the house and tested with thermometer, 170* again. Apparently I wasn’t that quick between the kitchen and garage but you get the point 😂

21 - 40 of 50 Posts