Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 RZR 800,
I have been hunting elk in AZ for three weeks. My rzr yesterday was running great today it quit. No power no fuel no nothing it sounded terrible. It is beyond me I cleaned the air filter I checked the oil I cannot figure out why it has no power and almost will not start . Help me please I love riding it,

·
Premium Member
8,865 Posts
Battery or Spark arrestor?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I took the air filter out yesterday we had been riding in the dust about 4 days and it was full of dirt, And the little foam pad on top has oil in it, I cleaned the filter we are many miles form a place to get replacement, I am learning about these so I am not sure about the sensor it was making a whinning sound and at one point smelled like burnning
rubber from what I gather is the belt and under powererd, so please help

·
Registered
223 Posts
Remove the airfilter, take a flash light and see if there is dirt that got past the airfilter in the intake tube. If so this could be the problem, do a Compression check. If you don't have a compression gauge, Pull a spark plug out of someone elses ATV, put your finger over the plug hole and turn it over, see how much pressure it has, now go compair it to yours.

Make sure your spark plug has spark.

Check your fuel filter, remove it and make sure you can blow through it (one way, towards the engine from the tank) or replace if you can get a new one.

Other guys may have better information but I don't see them helpin ya out, these are items I would be checkin if I were in your boots.

Good luck

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well removed airfilter replaced cleaned. Little foam filter. Started right up now it is shinning and knocking from the belt area I knew not to by Polaris but I did and here I am if I take the clutch.cover off what do I do

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Well I would look inside and see what is going on then go from there. Or go trade it in on something else since you are mad at polaris.

My opinion is that most belt problems are caused by the operator.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Lineman,

Please take a minute and review this line "now it is shinning and knocking from the belt area I knew not to by Polaris but I did and here I am" really don't understand what you are trying to say.

Help us out and we'll do our best to give you some troubleshooting tips.

Pirate

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well I would look inside and see what is going on then go from there. Or go trade it in on something else since you are mad at polaris.

My opinion is that most belt problems are caused by the operator.
Plus 1

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Well said Oldog and Matt!!!

As we always trained control room operators in power houses..."know your limits, stay within your limits".

And as Clint Eastwood's last line in Magnum Force "A man's got to know his limitations"

JMHO

Pirate

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am sorry I meant whinning and knocking it might be caused by operator error If I caused it I do not know how but I am learning, I am going to remove the cover and look at it. Idid not know that whinning came out shinning I lost the internet, So any help is still apreciated, I always had quad never a sisde by side and I will be the first to say I do not know anything about them but I will learn, I am not mad at polaris it is pobably my fault. Tony

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I need to clear one thing up, I love our RZR and we are learning everyday to enjoy it more. One thing thatI need is to know if i caused this how and then I will not do it again.
I have back problems and I can ride hard all day long and still walk I could not do that with a quad. So sorry about letting it seem like I was not happy because I am

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I am sorry I meant whinning and knocking it might be caused by operator error If I caused it I do not know how but I am learning, I am going to remove the cover and look at it. Idid not know that whinning came out shinning I lost the internet, So any help is still apreciated, I always had quad never a sisde by side and I will be the first to say I do not know anything about them but I will learn, I am not mad at polaris it is pobably my fault. Tony
Sounds like you need to get a manual ,and follow your service intervals, if your air filter was clogged so bad it could barely run, then you're not doing proper maintenance, have you ever checked or even looked at your belt? I carry 2 extra filters in the trailer and I carry an extra belt on my rzr, sounds like your belt is burned, sorry you're having problems.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I serviced it just before we left and we had mostltly mud untill about 4 -5 days ago we was riding about 10 miles a day in dry dirt cond. I had no idea it would get that cloged that bad but I have learned. also I had read that people carried extrra belts but mine has less than a 150 miles I didnt think would would go so fast, thanks for input it is appreciated

·
Registered
223 Posts
I serviced it just before we left and we had mostltly mud untill about 4 -5 days ago we was riding about 10 miles a day in dry dirt cond. I had no idea it would get that cloged that bad but I have learned. also I had read that people carried extrra belts but mine has less than a 150 miles I didnt think would would go so fast, thanks for input it is appreciated
I can smoke a belt within 5 min, if i don't use low range when I should be, and yet I have riden for years on the same belt, so it depends how bad you abuse um. Trying to tow a heavy load in high range will smoke the belt for sure as well as a slow climbs up steer hills in high range. Belt life depends most the time on how we use and abuse um :)

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Lineman,

OK...no problems...welcome to the troubleshooting side of the forum!!!

On the forum you'll find a sticky (top of the page) on how to change the belt. Its mostly removing the seats, the console, the access panel and the clutch housing cover. Then use a 6" socket extension to pry open the driven clutch sheaves (yeah the driven clutch is the big one) then walk the belt off the driven clutch and it will lift off the drive clutch.

Inspect the belt for shiny spots (got hot at that spot), look for tears on the sides, yes the belt it wider on the top than on the bottom. The sides are the surfaces that ride on the sheaves and thats where damage occurs. If there are any shiny spots, say a couple of inches long, the belt will squeal or whine.

If the belt is shredded or starting to shred, its got kevlar webbing inside the rubber belt. The machine will act jumpy and make all kinds of noises.

If you find either, time for a new belt and if you can afford it, carry a spare.

Keeping the air intake duct clean is absolutely critical. In fact its probaly the most important thing to keep an eye on!!! After failing a $6500 Holz Stage III motor due to dirt inhalation I've become a fanatic. I purchased a 4UCam video probe so that I can inspect the air duct from the outlet of the filter canister, through the throttle body and down to the seats of the intake valves. Should be nice clean aluminum surfaces in the head and throttle body. If there is "mud" of dust and gasoline the top end of the motor has been damaged. If one keeps riding the cylinder damage will continue until all the oil is burned and the motor fails. In my case the exhaust never showed smoke, blue or white. I just ran fine, then started acting like it was running on one cylinder and then I heard the death rattle as the crank failed!!! So always carry a spare filter, at least in the truck. If you're in dusty conditios, take the filter out each evening and tap the dust out. The inside of paper filters should be pure white, if there is any dust, pitch it. You can probably tap the dust out 3 or 4 times and then change the filter. I installed a filter monitor like my diesel trucks have. Sure enough after 3 or 4 cleanings the restriction starts to rise...new filter time.

What else can we help with?

Pirate

·
Registered
223 Posts
Lineman,

OK...no problems...welcome to the troubleshooting side of the forum!!!

On the forum you'll find a sticky (top of the page) on how to change the belt. Its mostly removing the seats, the console, the access panel and the clutch housing cover. Then use a 6" socket extension to pry open the driven clutch sheaves (yeah the driven clutch is the big one) then walk the belt off the driven clutch and it will lift off the drive clutch.

Inspect the belt for shiny spots (got hot at that spot), look for tears on the sides, yes the belt it wider on the top than on the bottom. The sides are the surfaces that ride on the sheaves and thats where damage occurs. If there are any shiny spots, say a couple of inches long, the belt will squeal or whine.

If the belt is shredded or starting to shred, its got kevlar webbing inside the rubber belt. The machine will act jumpy and make all kinds of noises.

If you find either, time for a new belt and if you can afford it, carry a spare.

Keeping the air intake duct clean is absolutely critical. In fact its probaly the most important thing to keep an eye on!!! After failing a $6500 Holz Stage III motor due to dirt inhalation I've become a fanatic. I purchased a 4UCam video probe so that I can inspect the air duct from the outlet of the filter canister, through the throttle body and down to the seats of the intake valves. Should be nice clean aluminum surfaces in the head and throttle body. If there is "mud" of dust and gasoline the top end of the motor has been damaged. If one keeps riding the cylinder damage will continue until all the oil is burned and the motor fails. In my case the exhaust never showed smoke, blue or white. I just ran fine, then started acting like it was running on one cylinder and then I heard the death rattle as the crank failed!!! So always carry a spare filter, at least in the truck. If you're in dusty conditios, take the filter out each evening and tap the dust out. The inside of paper filters should be pure white, if there is any dust, pitch it. You can probably tap the dust out 3 or 4 times and then change the filter. I installed a filter monitor like my diesel trucks have. Sure enough after 3 or 4 cleanings the restriction starts to rise...new filter time.

What else can we help with?

Pirate
Pirate, you're a good teacher :)

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Thanks Oldog!

During my 35 years as a Engineer working in powerhouses, my perspective was "share everthing, keep no sectets" and it always came back to me. Mechanics would be more productive on a turbine overhaul because they knew what they were looking for, what I was looking for. Had one top notch turbine guy, but he told the crew what to do, but shared nothing on why or how. Kept everything under lock and key and took it home everynight. Never liked that, and never learned much from the guy.

So I try to share all that I can, and learn from others at the same time. I learned a long time ago that "if you are willing to listen, there is no conversation you can't learn from"

Thanks again for the appreciation

Pirate

·
Registered
858 Posts
Lineman-

Where you at in AZ. I am in Mesa and would be happy to show you how to look at the belt and check things out. I have a 2008 RZR with around 4600 miles on it. I run the RZR-S belt and it seems to take abuse better. I am in Mesa so if you are close send me a PM and we will see if we can set up a time to meet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts