Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Help

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Astepanek 
#1 ·
I have a 2018 rzr turbo. About 2 months ago it started sputtering a little when you got on it hard so I assumed the fuel pump was on its way out. Replaced the fuel pump and took it to go ride. Unloaded it and started going down the road and it was smoking and backfiring and smelled like gas terribly. Thought maybe I got bad gas so drained it and tried again and it died on me. Pulled the injectors out and cleaned them best I could. Ran great for about an hour then went back to the same thing. Replaced the injectors and fuel pump again and it ran great for about 6-7 hours then went back to sputtering and backfiring. No smoke this time though just runs terrible. Took it to the shop and they had it several months and replaced the turbo and fuel pump but still nothing and they gave up. Fast forward to this week I cleaned clutches, replaced belt, swapped the coil, plugs, wires, crank sensor, and tried a different ecu. Seems to be running on just 1 cylinder as one plug is clean and the other is black and smells like fuel. I can also unplug the injector harness on that side and it barely effects it. The other side will make it die. So then I put in a new injector harness plug and still nothing. I’m at a loss with this thing anyone have any ideas?

#4 ·
Also I'm no expert but some of the guys on the are really knowledgeable, I think in limp mode it does what you're talking about with the one cylinder, so chasing that may do you no good because the ecu could be doing it on purpose because of another condition. I know there are some sensors in the engine bay that have a tendency to melt or chaff so a good inspection may turn something up. Also with out of box failures being a real thing the only way to really eliminate something like a fuel up from possibly being the cause is actually hooking up a fuel pressure gauge to see if it's falling off. Confirming how the shop tested things can also help some of the guys on here help you. For instance did they pressurize the intercooler to very no issues or just pull it back on look for fluid? The one that got my cousin had been removed and no real evidence was there so he chased a bunch of other possible causes then he tested it with air pressure and the leak was very easy to find.

#5 ·
I’ve looked this thing over up down and sideways and can’t find any obvious issues but as far as how they tested the inter cooler I couldn’t really tell you. The car was there for 3 months and they just handed me a bill and said they can’t figure it out. As far as the fuel pump I’ve tried about 4 different pumps as well as driving it with a pressure gauge on it and that checked out.

#6 ·
Are you getting any codes?
This sounds very similar to the issue RWB713 was having in his thread on code 520344. Chased and changed everything to do with fuel and fire, ended up being some fine residue in the fuel tank (from bad fuel if I recall correctly) that would plug the injectors after they were cleaned. It would run great then the issue would return. Even if you're not getting the code you might check the tank.

#7 ·
Y
Are you getting any codes?
This sounds very similar to the issue RWB713 was having in his thread on code 520344. Chased and changed everything to do with fuel and fire, ended up being some fine residue in the fuel tank (from bad fuel if I recall correctly) that would plug the injectors after they were cleaned. It would run great then the issue would return. Even if you're not getting the code you might check the tank.
[/QUOTE
Yes I do have that code along with misfire codes. I drained everything I could out of the tank when I first started getting this issue and it looked clean in the tank and felt fine. Then I replaced the injectors but that could be a possibility I’ll pull them out and check again

#9 ·
Update. So I pulled the injectors on it and cleaned them and it ran absolutely perfect and the code went away. Went about 20 miles and the code came back and it started to go into limp. Drained the tank and cleaned it out and sure enough the filter was dirty. Replaced filter and put the pump back in as well as brand new injectors. Now it runs great it just won’t go over 7000 rpms or 70mph and still throwing the 520344 code

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.