Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is this bearinG wear? I noticed my drive shaft had a bunch of play in it so i started looking. I'm planning on replacing the bearings and all of the seals and probably the front prop. Anyone else have this much play?

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
Holz Racing sells a billet pinion flange for the front diff. I think it is supposed to help prevent that.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Holz has a flange, gasket and seal for 50$

Search for bearing numbers in this forum, there is a plastic spacer between bearings, dont press too tight!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Skf 61906
Skf 16006

Take seal off of 16006 so the oil can lube it!

I reused pinion, no leaks, nice, tight smooth.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
is the pin in the shaft .... I went to a phased right and balanced shaft ... and I swear there is less vibration now!!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Need a press... And and puller helps to get off (easier at least) press back on. Just use something that will put pressure on inside of bearing and yet still slide over pinion until te plastic spacer can no longer spin freely, too tight and well i know?! Just ease the last bearing on, use a pic and ease down till spacer is snug.

As long as u have a decent puller it's not bad at all. I think actual pull an press time was like 10 minutes, beats the heck out of spending $$$ on a new pinion just for bearings!!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yeah a balanced shaft is preferred especially for all of you high speed guys!

I just play in the mud and water! Not so bad for me.

PS. Watch for slop in yolk on front pinion! Can be misleading. But if it's leaking at seal... Good chances are the bearings are worn.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Thank the forum! I'm just relaying what I found out part number wise!

Any good bearing shop should have in stock.

Just remember if it has a seal... Take it off! I left the grease in bearing in it... No problems.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so i get the bearings/ seals. do i need the nylon spacer and the cover too? I'm going to try to rebuld the prop shaft with u joints from tractor supply, I'm affraid the splines may be worn?
also if you grab the inner cv in the front the cups move a fair amount. Does this mean I need new cup bearings also? thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The cup bearings wobble regardless! Unless it's just really excessive.

The nylon spacer is reusable as long as u don't destroy it, pull one one bearing at a time!

If splints are worn, try a driveshaft shop, maybe!

The cover is if the stock is worn.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Let us know if u have any problems or questiona and the outcome!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey started taking it apart this afternoon. do I have to pull the skid to pull the drive shaft? I got the u joints today but I need to make sure the splines are still serviceable.
It looks possible to pull the diff then pull the whole shaft through the front. Has anyone pulled the shaft without pulling the skid?I have a winch too is it going to have to be removed to pull the diff? It's not to bad to pull my homemade skid but I have to wait for my father to get off the lift lol. Thanks again in advance! you guys rock. btw my cups seem fine I think it's just normal play in the cv's. my front end has been great for the last year but I exchanged a bolt for the roll pin in the driveshaft. I think it may have been a tad loose contributing to the falure of the u-joint/ pinion bearings.. Looking for a good replacement bolt tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Never pulled shaft completly out, can't help there

Yes pull winch out.

Make sure u try and "balance" the weight of the bolt and nut and washers on each side of yolk evenly...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Use a lock nut and/or washer...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rough day.
Ok so you dont have to pull the winch to get the differential out.
I pulled the skid and got the drive shaft out.
Replced the bad front u joint then took out the rear.. some bastard at tractor supply switch boxes so I had to put the old rear u-joint back in.. no biggie but it sucked.
I already ordered the holz pinion flange $58
and two bearings $20. I figured since it was apart I would check the other bearings in the differential. I pulled it apart and the ring gear is trashed. I have the superatv sprage which has held up great. I dont know where to go from here. I love my rzr but the front end sucks. I think once I replace the front end I'll go back to some 25" tires.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
That sucks...

I just installed the holz billet sprague... I hope a trashed ring gear is in my future.

It could be from the front pinion slappin around and binding the teeth as the gears turn. How much slop did you have?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts