Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I just recently bought a rzr xp and picked up full sterio system for it and an extra battery. I was wonder how to hook the two batteries up, I was told by one friend to run them parallel and that the isolater was no good and told by another to use the isolater, my other buddy has a switch to change from one battery to the other but have no clue on how to do that. So if anyone has any input on how to install in please let me know thanks a bunch!

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
I really like battery isolators, when they work. I used to maintain a fleet of fire trucks and related emergency vehicles, so I have quite a bit of experience with them. They could at times, misbehave and leave us in a bind, but not too often. I decided to put an independant battery in for my stereo system, and dedicated it soley for the stereo. It is a 625 watt amp with Ipod dock, driving 2 6x9 SSV works speakers. We play it at a very loud volume and it will last at least 3 days of riding, with it on about 80% of the time. I play the system very loud (cuz I'm old and blew my ears out with The Doors music 40 years ago)
I recharge the battery with a digital charger after every ride. That battery is 10 months old now, and shows no signs of going south. I don't have to babysit an additional component, and never worry about killing my main battery because I forgot to shut off the stereo. Just my .02

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rmr man...so what your saying is you just dropped another battery in and ran your system off of it and its not connected to ur stator or ran parallel? So you just keep charging it then huh? Seems like alot of work or im just lazy haha thanks for the replies tho guys ill figure it out one way or the other , thanks again!

·
Premium Member
7,973 Posts
I have an isolator and use a battery from an xp that fits the extra compartment perfect. I use that battery to power my stereo, and whip and my interior led's. It's been that way for nearly a year and works great. easy to install and I can play the stereo for a couple hours until I have to crank up the rzr to recharge the 2nd battery.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Yes, just put a heavy duty riding lawnmower battery in that not so waterproof box under the seat. It was on sale at local farm store for about $30.00
It's not too bad for me, when I unload after every ride and go into my shop I just hook it to my battery charger while I do other routine service.
A friend of mine is a marine mechanic, and he says they have more than their share of difficulties with the isolators. This is not to say that they are not a very valuable component for what you are trying to achieve, but we ride in some very harsh conditions that mimic a marine environment.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...sources/instructions/BUS_CBT_INST_180126a.pdf

I have a full stereo system and I used an Isolator to protect me from forgetting about having the system running and end up running my battery down. This is the one that I used and it came highly recommended and has preformed flawlessly.... The hook up diagram shows how to connect it.
I spent the extra dough to put an Odyssey battery in for my auxiliary and I can run that bad boy for hours and hours.. at reasonable listening levels for around the camp fire at night.. The youngsters like to hang out after I go to bed.. The isolator kicks out the main (start) battery and goes until the Auxiliary is is something like 11.5 V and then it shuts off... That way I don't care how late they play the music... You will love having the stereo system it adds a lot of fun to the XP.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet deal ! Thanks for all your help guys , one more question , where did you guys connect your remote cable wire too? The little blue wire that sends the signal to turn the amp on?

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Sweet deal ! Thanks for all your help guys , one more question , where did you guys connect your remote cable wire too? The little blue wire that sends the signal to turn the amp on?
I put in a separate switch.. The amp should have a relay inside it for handling the high current. You don't need a heavy switch or large gauge wire to the remote switch you just need enough to energize the relay. I put it on my dash next to the volume control.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts