Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, getting ready to buy some paddles for 18 turbo dynamics. The rzr has a flashed tune and runs great. I have done no clutch work yet but will in the future. I am not going to spend over 1300$ for tires and wheels. I have been reading tons of threads on what to buy but could still use some advice. I have already decided I want beadlock wheels. I am having trouble deciding whether or not I want 30 or 32" tires. I like the looks of the 32s but don't want any belt troubles. Sounds like my price point the cst sand blast tires are good. Also looking at the pro armors and the new SS 360 tires. I know the pro armors would definitly limit me to 30" tires. My question is would a less aggressive tire allow me get a 32 tire without belt problems. Will clutch soon but will I be ok for a while and what tire do I want. I think the SS360 tires would fit my style of duning well. Also go to little Sahara in Oklahoma so there is some pavement involved that really tore up paddles I had on my XP 900.Open to any suggestions or comments. Thanks

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
It's all going to depend on your driving style, and what you're looking to get out of a sand set-up. I've been running a set 29 inch EFX Sand Slingers on my 2017 XPT 4 for 2 years now. They perform VERY well. No belt problems. They are a little over-paddled. So they really hook up quickly, but you can bury yourself if you're not careful when taking off from a stand still in softer spots. I also run a set of 32 inch Tusk Sand Lites on my 2019 Turbo S. Completely different animal. They are fast and loose. VERY fast and loose. Almost like a Skat. I like them a lot. If you stick with a lighter molded tire like a CST Sandlblast or Tusk Sand Lite, you can probably run 32's as long as you clutch for the dunes. If you go with a heavier tire like Sand Slinger or Sand Drifter (Pro Armors are just too heavy and over-paddled for my taste), I wouldn't run anything bigger than a 30 inch. Preferably a 29 inch.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's all going to depend on your driving style, and what you're looking to get out of a sand set-up. I've been running a set 29 inch EFX Sand Slingers on my 2017 XPT 4 for 2 years now. They perform VERY well. No belt problems. They are a little over-paddled. So they really hook up quickly, but you can bury yourself if you're not careful when taking off from a stand still in softer spots. I also run a set of 32 inch Tusk Sand Lites on my 2019 Turbo S. Completely different animal. They are fast and loose. VERY fast and loose. Almost like a Skat. I like them a lot. If you stick with a lighter molded tire like a CST Sandlblast or Tusk Sand Lite, you can probably run 32's as long as you clutch for the dunes. If you go with a heavier tire like Sand Slinger or Sand Drifter (Pro Armors are just too heavy and over-paddled for my taste), I wouldn't run anything bigger than a 30 inch. Preferably a 29 inch.
I forgot to mention Tusk sand lite. There is not a lot reviews on them. It's good to hear good things on them. They are cheap enough if pavement does tear them up I can afford more. I 'm sure I will be clutching before my !st dune trip in April. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Where do you ride majority of the time? Money spent in those areas could benefit you the most. I didn’t want to spend over 1300 either but figured I had my most fun in glamis and bought what I thought would be the ultimate sand tire set up. Have friends running sandblast tires and are quite happy with them but I love my sandcraft extreme 10 paddles on alba Baja crushers. Not much faster then my buddies but handling and drag racing there is definitely a difference with the tire choice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Forgot to mention I run Tensor DS 32s in the dirt and have no belt problems so far. Also have AA clutch kit that hits about 8450 at 55mph with paddles.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've run Sand Drifters and Skats but I got a chance to dune with the SXSBLOG guys at Camp RZR and Leo was running the SS360's and they looked like a blast to dune with. Never once did he look like he was hindered in any way. They noticeably floated very well. I may be picking up a set. I don't sit at the hill and race or drag much so I'm not concerned with launch ability. But duneability is where it's at for me.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
30” is what I recommend. 32” while look great and extra ground clearance is appreciated, they’re much harder on your clutch. The ss360 I run now and love them. Not for dragging but great all around, 2 ply keeps them light. They also do very well on pavement/asphalt unlike a traditional paddle.

·
Registered
194 Posts
30” is what I recommend. 32” while look great and extra ground clearance is appreciated, they’re much harder on your clutch. The ss360 I run now and love them. Not for dragging but great all around, 2 ply keeps them light. They also do very well on pavement/asphalt unlike a traditional paddle.
A 32" in this style of tire would probably be less hard on the clutch than traditional 30" paddle tires.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
A 32" in this style of tire would probably be less hard on the clutch than traditional 30" paddle tires.
Not true. A 32” will always be harder. It has more rotational mass on top of added weight. Clutch and transmission should be adjusted to properly compensate. You make those changes as in gearing change and clutch weight adjustments then it wouldn’t be a problem, but you will lose some top end.

·
Registered
194 Posts
We'll have to agree to disagree. A tire that can break free easier is going to equal less stress unless someone can prove to me by using a proper belt temp gauge that I'm wrong. Now comparing the same tire in both sizes, of course the smaller will equate to a little less stress.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
If you over paddle a machine of course that has negative effect regardless of size. However, when paddled correctly a 32” tire over a 30” tires equals a lot more than “a little stress”. And yes you can disagree but it is math/science and there’s tons of gearing charts out there that can explain it to you in black and white showing you that you’re wrong. The rzr needs to be geared lowered to adequately handle a 32” paddle tire. many still run 32” paddles and they either don’t realize how much their machine can’t handle them or just don’t care and like the looks. The X3 owners out there, many run 32” paddles and well it is geared lower and can handle them better than a rzr can. If you want a quick lesson call Adam at Airdam clutches and he can explain the hows and whys in detail.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought a set of 4 nearly new 30" AMS Sand Kings from a local guy wanting to upgrade to 32" tires after buying a Turbo S. 600$ for tires and wheels, couldn't pass it up. Thanks for all the replies and feel free to keep the thread going. I may still but the SS 360 tires but not immediately..

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you over paddle a machine of course that has negative effect regardless of size. However, when paddled correctly a 32” tire over a 30” tires equals a lot more than “a little stress”. And yes you can disagree but it is math/science and there’s tons of gearing charts out there that can explain it to you in black and white showing you that you’re wrong. The rzr needs to be geared lowered to adequately handle a 32” paddle tire. many still run 32” paddles and they either don’t realize how much their machine can’t handle them or just don’t care and like the looks. The X3 owners out there, many run 32” paddles and well it is geared lower and can handle them better than a rzr can. If you want a quick lesson call Adam at Airdam clutches and he can explain the hows and whys in detail.
I don't think you're understanding my argument. I'll trust my 46 years of going to Glamis to understand how tires react in the sand. And these SS360's are not a paddle tire.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I don't think you're understanding my argument. I'll trust my 46 years of going to Glamis to understand how tires react in the sand. And these SS360's are not a paddle tire.
Lol, well you must be an expert then. I too have been going to Glamis my entire life born and raised in SD, and I’ll be there this weekend.

They are still paddle Tires. Same design atcs used to run in the 80s. Just because they are much smaller in height and profile doesn’t mean they aren’t. While smaller in paddle height there are much more of them. So does say 30 mini paddles equal a traditional paddle of say 10 1” paddles? I’m sure it is pretty close. And as someone who not only owns them but also owns skat traks currently and has countless others over the years, I can tell you they perform damn well right with most other paddles.

Your argument of rather you personally consider them paddles or not still doesn’t mean they at a 32” have less drag or performance loss vs a 30” traditional paddle tire. End of day please buy a set of 32” ones and I’ll meet you at Glamis with my 30” Ss360s or skats and I promise you I will perform better in every category including belt temp with less engine stress, well except ground clearance lol. Unless you re-gear your tranny of course.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Lol, well you must be an expert then. I too have been going to Glamis my entire life born and raised in SD, and I’ll be there this weekend.

They are still paddle Tires. Same design atcs used to run in the 80s. Just because they are much smaller in height and profile doesn’t mean they aren’t. While smaller in paddle height there are much more of them. So does say 30 mini paddles equal a traditional paddle of say 10 1” paddles? I’m sure it is pretty close. And as someone who not only owns them but also owns skat traks currently and has countless others over the years, I can tell you they perform damn well right with most other paddles.

Your argument of rather you personally consider them paddles or not still doesn’t mean they at a 32” have less drag or performance loss vs a 30” traditional paddle tire. End of day please buy a set of 32” ones and I’ll meet you at Glamis with my 30” Ss360s or skats and I promise you I will perform better in every category including belt temp with less engine stress, well except ground clearance lol. Unless you re-gear your tranny of course.
I'll never claim to be an expert at anything. My short answers have been because of your immediate attack of me being wrong rather than making it a discussion. I'm always up for a discussion and we all can learn from each other without jumping in and telling people they're wrong. Just because we see things from a different perspective doesn't mean we can't be civil. I'm an easy going dude and life is too short to be negative. I promise you, if you duned with me, we'd have a blast. If you've been going to the dunes your whole life like I have, then you know opinions on sand tires is an age old debate that will never end.

If this picture doesn't date me, nothing will. Check out that awesome bubble on the American Flag helmet, lol. Glamis, Thanksgiving 1980. Those giant balloon tires did awesome in the sand. PS, that girl was my neighbor and today is my wife of 24 years.

Glamis 1980.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dunerinaz I agree with your logic. The rotational mass should only come into affect when the tire is heavier. The SS360 tires are 2 ply and lighter than most 30” paddle tire excluding Skats. If you can compare the weight of your paddle tires to the stock tires your car is clutched for than you should be fine.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well, for what it’s worth, I recommend skat tracks from Tim at Xtreme tire. I recommend the 30x13x14 10 paddle for a stock-ish machine. If you’re pinching pennies, find a set of stock rims somebody is selling on the cheap. Tires are a lot more important than flashy rims. Plus, stock rims are light. I prefer and use 7” wide beadlocks with these tires. Cheap ones. Tusk Tetons. I realize you set a $1300 cap on spending. But, run one dune trip on your stockers and save the extra 4-500 for the set of tires and a cheap set of rims. You can always upgrade wheels later on. This set of 4 tires runs about $1500 give or take $100.

I’m not a Glamis guy. I dune at Little Sahara in Oklahoma. So forgive me in advance if other guys wanna chime in with facts as to why I’m ill-advising you.

I’ll admit that if you have the threat of puncturing due to sticks or downed t posts or rocks, etc.., forget this advice. They’re fragile tires. With that being said,I have all of those threats posed upon mine and have yet to ruin a skat in the last 11 years since RZRs became a thing and skats were available for them. I dune at a pretty fast pace for where we ride and I love these tires.
They hook up really well. They’re light and easy on the belt. They won’t shoot you out of the hole like a rocket... they’ll spin some. But above about 20-25 mph is where they really start to shine. They start hooking up and the rotational drag is minimal for their rollout. It’s a really good mix of ground clearance and ease in belt. They have served me well to say the least. This is on multiple XP 4 platform cars, both turbo and non. Currently run them on my 2020 turbo. Closing in on 50 hours and zero belt trouble. No belt smell. No belt gauge. Just duning.
I feel like the lightweight tire and short paddle compromises traction out of the hole, as in drag racing. What you gain is belt life, less drag, more pull on mid range and top end runs. These tires just plain work for me and my conditions. I’ve read this thread 6 or 8 times and not responded, afraid of the debate to come. But I’m going ahead with it now. I’m all about to each his own... and my brain gravitates toward the skat theory of less weight, short paddles, carcass conforming to the sand, and moving the machine forward with as little stress on the belt as possible.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well, for what it’s worth, I recommend skat tracks from Tim at Xtreme tire. I recommend the 30x13x14 10 paddle for a stock-ish machine. If you’re pinching pennies, find a set of stock rims somebody is selling on the cheap. Tires are a lot more important than flashy rims. Plus, stock rims are light. I prefer and use 7” wide beadlocks with these tires. Cheap ones. Tusk Tetons. I realize you set a $1300 cap on spending. But, run one dune trip on your stockers and save the extra 4-500 for the set of tires and a cheap set of rims. You can always upgrade wheels later on. This set of 4 tires runs about $1500 give or take $100.

I’m not a Glamis guy. I dune at Little Sahara in Oklahoma. So forgive me in advance if other guys wanna chime in with facts as to why I’m ill-advising you.

I’ll admit that if you have the threat of puncturing due to sticks or downed t posts or rocks, etc.., forget this advice. They’re fragile tires. With that being said,I have all of those threats posed upon mine and have yet to ruin a skat in the last 11 years since RZRs became a thing and skats were available for them. I dune at a pretty fast pace for where we ride and I love these tires.
They hook up really well. They’re light and easy on the belt. They won’t shoot you out of the hole like a rocket... they’ll spin some. But above about 20-25 mph is where they really start to shine. They start hooking up and the rotational drag is minimal for their rollout. It’s a really good mix of ground clearance and ease in belt. They have served me well to say the least. This is on multiple XP 4 platform cars, both turbo and non. Currently run them on my 2020 turbo. Closing in on 50 hours and zero belt trouble. No belt smell. No belt gauge. Just duning.
I feel like the lightweight tire and short paddle compromises traction out of the hole, as in drag racing. What you gain is belt life, less drag, more pull on mid range and top end runs. These tires just plain work for me and my conditions. I’ve read this thread 6 or 8 times and not responded, afraid of the debate to come. But I’m going ahead with it now. I’m all about to each his own... and my brain gravitates toward the skat theory of less weight, short paddles, carcass conforming to the sand, and moving the machine forward with as little stress on the belt as possible.
In my opinion, there's no debate to be had on skats at Glamis. They work great and is what I currently run. I have exactly the same size you have and Sandcraft fronts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts