Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to align my rzr properly for the last week. I quit at it a few days ago and went on to a few other things I had to do as it was frustrating me so much. I am going step by step via the shop manual but I am wondering if there is an easier way.
Basically I put the chalk line on one side of the tire and 180 degrees around on the other side. I measure point "a" and then "b". From what I understand the rzr should be toed out slightly no more than 1/4".
For some reason it is off around 1" I have gone back and forth, one wheel in, then back out, I have screwed these things every which way and just can't get it. I have also used several different tape measures with same results.
I am not good w/geometry and I don't think I can accurately find the "center" of the rzr to measure which tire is off. It seems that if I try to bring the toe out a little it brings the other measurement out too.
Maybe a bit confusing but if anyone has any easy way let me know. I need to get this thing ready for friday and I still have to put some pieces back on....

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Zac, let me through a few comments out. First of all is the steering wheel centered? have you disconnected the tie-rods from their wheel connection, if you did they are connected on the bottom of the wheel assembly right.
My procedure is:
Steering wheel centered
Stand several feet in front of the RZR and just look @ the wheels and visually align them (remember that you are in the center of the front)
Measure down from the center of the axle to your clean surface that you are going to put your marks on.
Install a push-pin in the center of the tire this height from your surface and drop a plumb bob down to the surface on each tire.
Roll the RZR back until the push-pin is the same height in the back and drop a mark with the plumb-bob.
Measure across both front and back, 1/2 the difference allowing the front to have whatever the to-out you want.
Adjust each tie-rod to get what you want (make sure you turn them in the right direction)
measure again and re-adjust until you get what you want or you feel close enough.
Remember this is not a NASCAR machine the ball-park is close enough,
John

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So we're using the center of the axle on either side as the reference point?
This is definitely a help either way John and I am going to give it a go tomorow.
I know it doesn't have to be exact but my concern is that I have newer tires on my rzr and they have been wearing all kinds of funky ways, especially the fronts....I figured this had something to do with it maybe.

Thanks again.

·
Vendor
4,175 Posts
2 - straight edges on a short bucket. Measure behind and front of tire to find toe. This is by far the easiest way I have found and accurate. It does take 2 people though.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'm with you 08rzrCT... I have tried and tried to align my rzr after replacing an a-arm and now the steering wheel is at different angles depending on the speed i'm driving. The faster I go the better it straightens out. If go really slow it stays pretty straight as well but at a medium speed of about 30 MPH the wheel is cauked to the left about a 5th of a turn.
I gave up too but man it is suprisingly annoying to drive with your wheel not centered and your hands not at 10 and 2.

My dealer doesn't want to do it and keeps talking me out of paying them to do it. That tells you something. LOL

·
Registered
533 Posts
The string method is the easiest and only requires one person. Plus it helps you see if its out of square some where else. Just remember, the rear wheels are toed in as well.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I just take a carpenters square and put the flat edge on the concrete floor in the center line of the tire and put a mark in on the floor on front and back of each tire. Then measure that distance. Seemed to work the best for me. Make sure your steering wheel is straight and does not move if you make tie rod adjustments. I have mine set pretty much dead even front and back.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm with you 08rzrCT... I have tried and tried to align my rzr after replacing an a-arm and now the steering wheel is at different angles depending on the speed i'm driving. The faster I go the better it straightens out. If go really slow it stays pretty straight as well but at a medium speed of about 30 MPH the wheel is cauked to the left about a 5th of a turn.
I gave up too but man it is suprisingly annoying to drive with your wheel not centered and your hands not at 10 and 2.

My dealer doesn't want to do it and keeps talking me out of paying them to do it. That tells you something. LOL

That's what happened to me. The old a-arm was so bent I couldn't even put cv guards on it so I got a new a-arm, my wheel now too is to the left.
Just got home from school and I am going out into the garage now to see if I can figure this out.
I appreciate everyones help I am just having trouble invisioning some of these methods.
I like hawk eng idea but how do you know what part of the tire to hold the straight edge up to. How do I currently know if its toed in or out....

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That was the technique I finally used.....pretty easy.....i'll tell you one thing, before they were wayyyy off.....I feel much better now and I crawl a lot on the rocks in low 4wd so i'm hopin i can really see some difference.

·
Registered
294 Posts
One good thing mentioned in that thread was to clock your steering wheel. Make sure is turns the same amount left and right from center. Mine was off 2 teeth.

·
<<< My personal RZR jack
612 Posts
How can a 2010 rzr be out of aligment? Even a rzr with a few hundred miles, what parts would lose enough to make the tires tilt or steer the wrong way? Just curious.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts