Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 RZR S BONE STOCK. Brand new first ride at coos bay. I am blowing the 20amp chassis fuse when I go to start it. So i replaced it. If it does start without blowing the fuse it will run great. So it's done this twice. Now i'm scared to turn it off out on the dunes. Anyone else experience this problem? Thanks

·
King of crash!
31,882 Posts
Do you have hid headlights. Or any other stuff?...if so are they on? If so it might be to much load. Wile starting...if not you could have a started drawing to much

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Does it blow the fuse soon as you turn on the key or after you ride it a while, does it blow when you do something like step on the brakes or turn the headlights on, how about when the fan kicks on when the engine is warm?

After seeing how they ran the wiring harness on my 2010 RZR-S I would suspect their is a factory defect some place, look at your harness some places on my harness they had it stretched like a E string on a violin and other places it was sagging so much it was touching the exhaust system.

Since I have seen 4 others in the showroom that the drivers side brake light wires were touching the exhaust system it wont take long for them to melt and short.

Be very careful inspecting your harness that you dont poke a eye out on the zip ties they never cut the tails off of, on the ones they did cut off they are not cut off flush so are like a razor blade if you brush up against one by accident.

As your checking the harness sooner or later you will run into the brake light switch, pull the plug off and coat the terminals and the whole plug with grease so it cant corrode, the type of connection they used here was not made for outdoors.

Start at one end of the RZR and work to the other inspect the whole thing, you will find places where their are abrasion issues, places where the harness is not supported so the weight of the harness is pulling on electrical connection with ever bump you hit, places where its stretched tight and restrained with zip ties, my whole harness was a mess it looks like it was installed by a high school kid with no skills or a skillbilly.

Good luck hopefully it just something simple.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the insight I will start going through it. It only does it when I go to turn on the key.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Thanks for the insight I will start going through it. It only does it when I go to turn on the key.
What if you turn on the key without your foot on the brake?

Process of elimination...

If its under warranty I would get it back to the dealer ASAP

Be sure to go over the whole harness once you get it back from the dealer looking for strains and pinches they missed.

·
Mike #1
1,949 Posts
I thought I read in another thread that people were having ignition issues? And there was actually a problem with the switch.

This person was having problems with his RZR cutting out, a short in the switch could be blowing your fuse? might want to check the ignition wires.

"Well I just found that it was the ignition switch. I just barely touched the harness goin into it and it cut off but would start right back. The problem was the red wire pin was messed up on the connector causing a loose connection. Found that it had caused alittle heat and heated up the plastic around that pin on the switch. All I did was remove all the puns from the connector and tightened them up with a pic and reinstalled and it's fine now. Thanks guys hope this helps someone else "

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
If it blows the fuse when you just turn on the switch, it is something in the harness or switch. If it doesn't blow until you engage the starter, it's the starter or possibly still the switch. I'd take it to the dealer if it's still in warranty. Gawd how I hate transient electrical problems!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
If it blows the fuse when you just turn on the switch, it is something in the harness or switch. If it doesn't blow until you engage the starter, it's the starter or possibly still the switch. I'd take it to the dealer if it's still in warranty. Gawd how I hate transient electrical problems!

If it dont blow with the key on but blows when you step on the brakes (key on) and not turning the key to start its something in the brake circuit, brake on for a min or so and it dont blow turn the key see if it blows.

I hate electric too thats why I said take it to the dealer ASAP lol I have spent all day trying to track down stupid fuse blowing problems, it usually a shorted wire some place, someone pinched or nicked a wire then it sometimes makes contact with ground and blows the fuse.

Either way good luck to you keep us updated with what you find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I rode it all day yesterday with no problems then last night it blew again. I bought 10 fuses. It's still under warranty. When I get home I'm gonna take it to the dealer. Let you know what I find out. Thanks for the help.

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
Has it always blown at night? If so, it may be in your light circuit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts