Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Snowman
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Main 20 amp fuse continues to blow after using the winch and it seems to be when the fan kicks in.

If not using the winch, the fan can run all day with no apparent issue.

Result is whole machine dies.

The fuse is not necessarily blowing when I am using the winch, but sometimes thirty seconds later. Always seems to be in combination of getting, stuck, winching, machine gets hot while winching/idling etc, then fuse blows. Most times blowing AFTER using winch for heavy/mud winching

Replaced it with 25 amp...same problem. Winch is wired direct (I think).

Also lost 4 wheel drive last time out...still looking at that....light on dash says it is on but no 4WD.

Thining possible battery issue but this has me stumped.

Any comments/help apprecaited......

I replaced my stock 3500lb Polaris winch in the spring with a 4000lb Warn Winch. Used the same stock wiring...don't think this would be an issue. Only out twice this year so far.

Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
My Main 20 amp fuse continues to blow after using the winch and it seems to be when the fan kicks in.

If not using the winch, the fan can run all day with no apparent issue.

Result is whole machine dies.

The fuse is not necessarily blowing when I am using the winch, but sometimes thirty seconds later. Always seems to be in combination of getting, stuck, winching, machine gets hot while winching/idling etc, then fuse blows. Most times blowing AFTER using winch for heavy/mud winching

Replaced it with 25 amp...same problem. Winch is wired direct (I think).

Also lost 4 wheel drive last time out...still looking at that....light on dash says it is on but no 4WD.

Thining possible battery issue but this has me stumped.

Any comments/help apprecaited......

I replaced my stock 3500lb Polaris winch in the spring with a 4000lb Warn Winch. Used the same stock wiring...don't think this would be an issue. Only out twice this year so far.

Thanks!
Fist I would put the 20 amp back in and leave it that way. Second I would wire your aftermarket winch with it's own wiring to the battery WITH an inline fuse properly sized for your new winch. AWD may or may not be related to the (sorry) abuse your stock electrical system has already recieved.

Scoddee

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
Yup, something with a big amp load like a winch should always be wired direct with the appropriate size fuse and wire installed. The correct wire size should be in the winch installation instructions or manual. The rest of your electrical system is not designed for that kind of load.

·
Snowman
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Winch is wired direct to battery...just with Polaris wiring....identical guage wires.

It is fused, but this fuse has not blown.....it is the fuse located under the dash in the fuse bank for the machine

·
Registered
81 Posts
Your new winch is bigger. The identical gauge wire may not be heavy enough. What size is the inline fuse that's not blowing ?

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Well this is a weird problem. Only the winch relay would be wired through the 20A fuse and that would take at most 1A to activate--and of course if it was defective it would blow the fuse immediately. Is this a wireless winch controller? That would be another level of complexity that could cause problems--especially if it got wet. Outside chance of it being a bad rocker switch (if it's a wired controller). If the IN and OUT circuits get activated at the same time then it's a dead short on the 12V.

You probably should disconnect every accessory powered off that fuse & plug them in one at a time to find the problem. It'll take time to isolate the problem--intermittent shorts always do.

·
Snowman
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems to be everyone is pointing at the winch and fact it may be wired wrong.....it is not wireless and the winch functions fine for a few uses or lite uses.

I am really not certain if the winch is connected to this problem but it is very weird that fuse blows when not even using the winch...but AFTER.

It is a dash mount/cable....polaris issue and it does NOT seem to be running with both in/out circuits on a t same time.

Will do some homework and report back

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
If you load a fuse to or near it's rated load, it may or may not blow. However, it will be stressed. After a fuse is stressed, it can blow at any time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey Snow did you ever check the size of that inline fuse ?

Also, you could be on to something with the battery. After winching with a marginal battery (weak cell) you could have a significant temporary voltage drop. Then when the fan kicks on it draws more amps than usual because of the lower voltage and blows the fuse. This is just an idea, but like you said check the battery have it load tested. Good luck.

Scotty

·
King of crash!
31,882 Posts
Well this is a weird problem. Only the winch relay would be wired through the 20A fuse and that would take at most 1A to activate--and of course if it was defective it would blow the fuse immediately. Is this a wireless winch controller? That would be another level of complexity that could cause problems--especially if it got wet. Outside chance of it being a bad rocker switch (if it's a wired controller). If the IN and OUT circuits get activated at the same time then it's a dead short on the 12V.

You probably should disconnect every accessory powered off that fuse & plug them in one at a time to find the problem. It'll take time to isolate the problem--intermittent shorts always do.
im with mark..i wonder if the switch or relay wire is chafed and grounding out.....

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Dunno if this helps....

I had a similar wierd issue and ended up being the relay wire was getting wet. The dealer that installed the winch did not heat shrink the connections to make them water tight in my case it was the relay wire connection to the accessory wire under the dash.

·
Snowman
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Getting closer....Johnycat8 is right so far....chafed wire leading to 4wd engagement....have power to plug but 4wd not working....this may be source of all the problems....checking it out tomorrow am

Appears when we installed new Warn winch, the wire for 4WD engaement was rubbing against winch.

I will update as I find out more.

BIG THANKS to all ideas so far...this forum is amazing!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts