Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Help dumont paddles setup

10K views 46 replies 19 participants last post by  DWRAT 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have searched and read all over this thing. I came to the conclusion I would start my own thread and get a more specific answer. I have a STOCK 2012 xp900 base model. Plan on going to dumont for halloween and was wondering what the best price/type/size of paddles you guys suggest for dumont??? I know I want something light (rim wise) and nothing heavy duty (ie- beadlocks) b/c I will be in sand only, no trail riding for me. I just want a good all around straight paddle. I've read all about STU blasters and the skat traks, but i cant figure out which type or how many paddles or the size!?! I definitely like the low-profile look on some of the rides I've seen on here of the rear paddles, not sure what size they are but like I say, I like that thin-wall look.

Thanks for your time guys!

#3 ·
We are going to Dumont Sunday morning the 7th to test out the blasters I just bought for my XP 4 if you want to join. For the XP I read the Skat's work a tad bit better than the blasters and a couple hundred cheaper. We are right around the corner from you on north Decatur if you want to see the blasters. As like every post says call Fullertons and you will get the No BS answer.

#4 ·
FSS might be knowledgable but they are super expensive and will only reccomend a blaster. Any paddle will work on a xp it's not some kind of high horsepower machine. It basically comes down to how aggressive you drive. I would be more worried about finding the right front tire that suits your needs for steering response

#7 ·
I run double shaved Scats on my stroked honda trx,which are superlight but very thin.I bought the Doonz because they seem a little thicker,a little cheaper than the other brands,and ive got a hole season on them without losing a bead and no flats.The tires took a little fine tuning with air pressures to get them to hook up in the back but still turn good in the front.You should'nt have any problems shooting up comp hill with any paddle you choose.The first time i went up Comp i was suprised at how fast it went up,heck my wife's Rhino won't even make it up 3/4 of the way.

Attachments

#10 ·
I have a xp4 and im getting the blasters #1 paddle with matching blaster front ribbed tires. From the reserch ive done and talking with Dave from fulerton sand sports I thing this is the best setup for stock 900 motor. I have also talked and rode with people with both scats and blaster and the blasters seemed to work the best. I currently have 4 8 paddle scats on and can see how much better the blasters are working. Of all the paddles I have bought I have gotten the best deals at Fullerton sand sports.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#13 ·
. From the reserch ive done and talking with Dave from fulerton sand sports I thing this is the best setup for stock 900 motor.
+1000
They are the best setup for a stock XP, a modded XP or even a Apex XP.

I don't care what your sand rig is, a stock 660 Rhino to a twin turbo V-8 sand rail, Blasters are the best.

#15 ·
Aint that the truth.:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:
I love all the "Call Dave, he will set you up" posts.

#18 ·
GUYS!!! I found some paddles sitting on a dealership floor here in Vegas today that have sat for over a year. They got "lost" in the back. lol Anyway, the manager said he'll give them to me for $300 out the door. That's for all 4 tires. They are Skat Trak 25x10-12 Extreme 7 paddle rears and smoothie fronts. BUT they say "cheng shin" on the sidewalls?!?!?! But the paddle on the rears says "skat trak" and they are glued on paddles just like skat trak does. So are these really Skats??? and is $300 for all 4 a good deal???

thanks!!!

#20 ·
I can tell you that the tires are real Skat Trak haulers from what you described. Skat Trak does not make the tires they just mod tires to there specs.
As for the 7 paddle 25's, all I can say is I would really prefer to see you get the Blasters.:rofl3:
BTW, don't ask what I run on my XP.

#23 ·
He runs pretty much the same setup you are looking at and they work very well for him and a few others

#24 ·
Dave has tons of experience and has set me up several times in the pasts with my large cars and quads. unfortunately when I was contemplating a purchase his packages were not available due to demand. I was short on time and funds, so I went with the Doonz package. Run at Dumont alot and have not found a hill they can't handle. Now because I personally like to be a little loose out back these work pretty well. Dave can confirm this... If you choose a tire that has a rounded carcus they will hook up extemely well, but won't slide as easily and hook in the corner making more of a L-turn. A flatter carcus will hook up but won't be as aggresive, and break loose much easier in the corners letting you pitch and slide easier (more my style). Also a rounded carcus will hold a side hill better than a flat and the rear of the car won't try to drop out on you, I just keep my speed up with the flats). It really is up to and your particular driving style and what the wife will let you spend.
Mark

#35 ·
Well I guess I have been lucky for the last 2 years with my 25"s and not hurt myself with my "unsafe" tires.:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Truth be told, venders like FSS can't make any money if they don't have something new to try and pimp out to everyone.
I bet 90% of the Glamis XP riders came from a "S" and already had 25" tires so that would have really hurt sales if he said anything else.

#26 ·
Not sure about safety (Dave must have had some experience). But I will say that's too small for the XP. You will blow right through them and lose a lot of top speed. May be ok for a stock 800, but you will need more for the 900.
Mark

#28 ·
The more I talk to different people I'm beginning to realize they overanalyze this topic. I just don't get how only one inch is going to make a difference. one guy said that the Rzr would bottom out if I put on the 25s but when I run my stock dirt tires on low-pressure they become 25 inch tires anyway. Seems like a lot of big-dealin.

#34 ·
What you said about airing down a 26" tire and it makes it 25" tall. That's not how it works. The "run out" is what counts or "circumference". It still has to travel the same distance to turn 1 revolution.

Anyways, I run Blasters on my XP4 and I agree that the XP should use a 26" tall paddle but if I could have gotten 4 sand tires for $300 I'd be trying some 25" Skat-Traks.

#29 ·
I could be wrong, but it's the dia. that counts. It might not if you were running your paddles on a hard surface. if you stop in sand with a paddle directly down in contact with the sand is the top edge of the paddle sitting on top of the sand or has it dug into the sand with the main body of the tire in contact with the top surface? In sand the paddle is your traction and the body of the tire is your floatation.
Mark

#31 ·
Your talking two totally different types of tires. Big horns are super heavy and suck for the sand no matter the size. My 30 years of duning has taught me nothing. i guess you should ask an expert.
Mark

#32 ·
In your 30 years of experience have you rode a xp with 25" 7 paddle skats? The OP had a chane to get a good deal. If you don't know how the 25's will work I don't think it's fair to comment. You should know sand soaks up a lot of HP an bogs machines down. Maybe a 25" would work great

#33 ·
I think I do know how 25's will work. This is just my opinion. FSS Dave has been doing this longer than me and didn't reccomend it. I know he tests everything he offers and if he told me not to run them I would take his advise. If the OP thinks it's a good deal and will work for him he should go for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.