Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone actually driven both of these? Really looking for opinions from some who have truly driven both. I am considering the S on the 2 seater. So far everyone reccomends the one that they bought, no surprise. I do not have young kids anymore and really dont need the 4 seats. But it supposedly had a much better ride in the whoops. I currently do not do sand, and may not ever. Do more desert than anything else. Problem is they are so close in price. Opinions?

·
Registered
860 Posts
IMO, I would just do an "S", If you dont need the extra length and weight I wouldnt recommend it. I think my s works good in the whoops. I do almost all dezert and only one trip to the dunes a year. just my .02

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
The RZR-4 is way better in the whoops, and I have driven both. My brother owns an S. I love the RZR-4, but if you don't need the extra seating, I'd go with the S just because it's sportier. What the RZR-4 gains in performance length-wise in the whoops, it loses performance and accessibility on trails with tight turns, etc. The S is much easier to maneuver, and get around. That's my .02 as a RZR-4 owner.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Also, the roll bar on them is quite a bit higher. I think like 3-4 inches. If I am not mistaken, the 4 without a roof is 75" tall and my S with a roof is 70.75" tall. At 75", it makes getting into something with a 72" clearance, say a toy hauler with a rear bed or many smaller enclosed trailers, very difficult, if not possible at all.

Then, as mentioned before, there is the difference in length. 102" vs 130". This could definitely come in to play based on what your method of hauling them is.

And, last but not least, you have 1000 vs. 1255 lbs. These things have a lot of power right off the showroom floor. I haven't driven a 4, but you would think that the extra 225 lbs would have some sort of ill affect on the power.

All that being said, those 4's sure are pretty.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I haven't driven a 4, but you would think that the extra 225 lbs would have some sort of ill affect on the power.
I agree with everything you said, but this comment is debatable. You will notice a difference, but not the difference you'd expect. I can hang with a RZR-S with no problems.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have driven both and like the 4 in the whoops better than my S, But the S isn't bad in the whoops. For trails the s gets my vote( that why I bought one) Hope this helps.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I haven't driven a 4, but you would think that the extra 225 lbs would have some sort of ill affect on the power.
I agree with everything you said, but this comment is debatable. You will notice a difference, but not the difference you'd expect. I can hang with a RZR-S with no problems.
Agreed. I have read numerous post saying the the power difference is minimal, if any. But one thing is for certain. 225 lbs of extra weight absolutely does not help in the power department. Like you said, how much it hurts is debatable.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I drove the 2011 4 with eps tonight, i have one on order but had only drivin the 10 model. This coming from a guy who has only test drove several rzrs, that 2011 was fricking awesome. The dealership i tested at is in northern michigan, they have an area of sand and two tracks man that was fun. If i didn't have a family of 4 i would be all over the orange madness but the 4 was so smooth. When i went over a area that i thought would throw me around the 4 just floated over them. Good luck what ever you do.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I trail ride my 4 in south Alabama, have owned an 08 2 seater and have driven them both on the same trails (atv trails) and the difference is so small I hardly notice the extra length. I have a 12yo and being able to take him on the same vehicle with us is great, I do have friends that don't own anything to ride and being able to invite them to go with us (hoping they will go out and buy something after a weekend with us is a plus too!) S or 4, That would be hard to decide if I didn't have a kid, but the price is so close and the 4 is just bada$$, sorry for not being any help!!!

·
Registered
917 Posts
We have often wished we had the 4 when we are riding around the farm and friends come over and want to go for a ride. But when we actually go riding the trails the 2 seat model is much easier to maneuver and haul than the 4 would be.

·
One Man Wolf Pack
633 Posts
Took the 4 to glamis this last weekend. I used to have an 08 and have never ridden in an "S" so I can't REALLY speak to that like the others can. I put mid travel on my 08 and the rzr4 is WAY more plush and eats up the whoops just as good if not better than the 08 with mid travel did. The power steering takes a little getting used to but save our a$$es several times!!

With that being said it obviously lost a little in the power department. Nothing a turbo wont solve ;) Plus the sand was CRAZY soft...but we did see 3 other blue and white rzr4s out there.

Havent had the chance to trail ride, plan on doing that this weekend.

I also found out the hard way (the VERY hard way) that my toyhauler does not allow toys that are 75" tall! :(

All in all I really like the 4!!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts