What type of helmet are you using.

• Full Face

Votes: 126 51.6%
  • Open Face

Votes: 59 24.2%
  • None or other

Votes: 59 24.2%
101 - 117 of 117 Posts
I am also looking into a axel helmet anybody have any info on them or experience? I mean I know they are not DOT but I have seen ppl have hockey helmets and army helmets and was happy. I just get tired of lugging a mx helmet on my head riding all day. At my house I dont wera helmet but on our trips i do so I am looking for a liter option. I am at the point the only time i wear the mx is in the derby

Just bought a axel helmet a few weeks back. It’s a decent helmet but at the same time I ordered up smaller ski helmets for my kids and those are actually nicer in my opinion. The inside is a bit more comfortable/adjustable and they were still very breathable plus quite a bit cheaper. They have removable ear pads too. I kinda felt like the axel helmets were overpriced for what you got.

TurboSke Ski Helmet, Snow Sports... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LDBB92K?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those do look pretty nice. My only concern in Idaho is that the law (Idaho Code 73-114) states, "No person under eighteen (18) years of age shall ride upon or be permitted to operate a motorcycle, motorbike, utility type vehicle or an all-terrain vehicle unless at all times when so operating or riding upon the vehicle he is wearing, as part of his motorcycle, motorbike, UTV or ATV equipment, a protective safety helmet of a type and quality equal to or better than the standards established for helmets by the director."
There's a lot of grey area in that law, but it could be interpreted to mean that the helmet has to be at least DOT approved. I'd hate to get a ticket and try to prove your case in court, or worse, have an accident where you get to question for the rest of your life if a DOT helmet would have made a difference.
Not trying to be the Debby Downer here, just some things to consider.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

:bsflag: I'm going to raise the flag on this poll. No way are 80% of rzr riders wearing helmets!
AGREED !!!!

I ride in the Oweehee's, just outside of Boise in SW Idaho. Last weekend there was many SxS's running around and my co-driver and I were the ONLY SxS that both people were wearing helmets that whole day. There was a couple of SxS's where just the wife/GF were wearing one, but not the guy. But as far as both persons wearing........we were the ONLY one we saw that day.

I'm also amazed at how many ATV families don't use helmets....even see many younger kids not using (doesn't look like mom and dad are enforcing). Sure sets a bad precedent.

I truly understand that it's a free country, easier to converse and drink, etc so a person doesn't have/want to wear a helmet. I just wish people would reconsider. I had a VERY low speed, really stupid accident on my ATV a couple of years ago and hit my head....HARD. I would have bled out if not for the helmet. It was in a typically busy heavy use wash, about 1 mile from main parking lot, on a sunny Sun morning.....and no one happened to come through that wash.

If you are not wearing a minimum of a DOT rated helmet you are crazy! Sure you may have been riding around for years and nothing has happened, but all it takes is one good wack of your melon against something hard like a roll cage or, God forbid, another utv. Seen it all too many times where "if only" the rider was wearing a helmet......just because it is not required by law doesn't make it smart. You are all adults and its your head and brain.

BTW I wear a motocross style helmet with goggles.

I’ve got an open face full face and mx helmet. And use whatever works best for me on ride day. A helmet is like a gun better to have and not need. I had a 4x6 come through my windshield and hit me in the face at about 65 mph in my car all but killed me wish I had a helmet then lol. IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU. I would rather wear a helmet than be in a coma trust me it sucks

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

I typically don't wear a helmet in the RZR. Always on the dirtbike or wheeler but pretty much never in the RZR. I don't really know why, I guess it's because the rzr feels more like a car than an ATV with the doors, roof, and front and rear windshields and I am usually cruising pretty slow/leisurely in the rzr. Honestly, I am more worried about another UTV or ATV running into me than anything else. There are quite a few utv rental companies in my area so there are always idiots going sideways around corners or hauling butt around the inside of a blind corner so I probably should. I like the look of the helmet that katnapper has. I may have to look into a couple of those.

As a sidenote/FYI State law in Utah also does not require anyone to wear a helmet in a UTV. The state law requires "DOT approved" helmets on any person under age 18 who are riding Type 1 ATV's (three and four wheelers), off-highway motorcycles, or snowmobiles.

I check back on this thread regularly to see if anyone has found any good compromises--helmets that offer reasonable protection with lighter weight. When I had my wreck, it was apparently my head contacting the ground on the side that messed me up (very hard side-roll wreck). Specifically, the skull fracture is horizontal just below the top of my ear, and went inward far enough that I'm lucky to only have facial paralysis. These half-helmets are definitely better than the no helmet I was wearing, but I wonder if it would really protect against a side impact. For my wife and I, side impacts are really the only concern--we have an aftermarket cage and harnesses that are always worn, so a top impact is nearly impossible. It seems like there's a market for something like the Axel that comes further down the side. Full MX helmet is nice when the weather is cold, but you're going to have a headache after a full day of riding. And when it's hot, they're pretty rough.

For my wreck, a strapped-on baseball helmet might have been enough to stop the fracture, but that would possibly look a little silly...

:p

I check back on this thread regularly to see if anyone has found any good compromises--helmets that offer reasonable protection with lighter weight. When I had my wreck, it was apparently my head contacting the ground on the side that messed me up (very hard side-roll wreck). Specifically, the skull fracture is horizontal just below the top of my ear, and went inward far enough that I'm lucky to only have facial paralysis. These half-helmets are definitely better than the no helmet I was wearing, but I wonder if it would really protect against a side impact. For my wife and I, side impacts are really the only concern--we have an aftermarket cage and harnesses that are always worn, so a top impact is nearly impossible. It seems like there's a market for something like the Axel that comes further down the side. Full MX helmet is nice when the weather is cold, but you're going to have a headache after a full day of riding. And when it's hot, they're pretty rough.

For my wreck, a strapped-on baseball helmet might have been enough to stop the fracture, but that would possibly look a little silly...

:p
You could always try a downhill mountain bike helmet. There are a few that have removable chin bars like the Giro Switchblade MIPS and Bell Super 3R MIPS helmets. I have thought about these myself. They are much lighter than a MX helmet and even though they are tested to different standards than MX helmets they are still designed to do the same thing, keep your head safe from an impact at a significant speed.

Here's an interesting article talking about some of the differences between MX and MTB helmets.

Giro ski helmet with ear flaps removed.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk Pro

I've got the Polaris Tenacity Moto Helmet. Won it at a club event for a silent auction. It's light and fits like a glove....

Attachments

Just picked up a Bell Scout Air for hot days. Then we came up to South Dakota and have had very cold days, so I’ve been wearing my full face. But this Bell is super simple, and super light. I wouldn’t wear it on my motorcycle, I don’t think, but it’s perfect for the rzr. Very light, compact, and cheap.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.