Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type helmet would be best for a toddler? I have taken my Grandson on some rides and he wears his bicycle helmet he is almost 3 but he is very big for his age his dad is 6'-10" and mother is 6'-2" so he is the size of most 4 or 5 year olds.

I would like to get a proper helmet for him but I am afraid of creating a problem with the weight of the helmet I would think in a wreck it might break his neck from the added weight. I have been thinking of looking at the BMX bicycle type helmets for him. What do you do for small children?

I drive very conservative when he is in the buggy but by law he has to wear something I think. I usually ride the dunes in Orgeon or trails in Washington.

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
69 Posts
My granddaughter used to wear her regular bicycle helmet, and then we got her one that, although still a bicycle helmet, is more like an open face helmet that comes down over her ears. We're planning on trying to find her a child's size open face DOT approved helmet for next year, but so far they have all been too big for her.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I got my son who was 4 at the time of purchase a nice fitting MOTOX helmet with the grim reaper on the side screaming. LOL Gotta ride in sytle no matter the age.

·
Vendor
969 Posts
Check out the ski and snowboard shops. The helmets the use for their little skiers are built much better then a bicycle helmet without the weight of a MX helmet. My daughter use MX helmets on there bikes but then throw on the ski helmets for the UTV's, works perfect and much easier on there necks!

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
ski helmets are best! they are waayyy better than a bike helmet. fyi, in oregon dunes, all kids under 16 must wear a DOT approved helmet in a utv or atv. ski helmets are not DOT approved. i do agree that a mx type helmet is too heavy for the little ones and i used to have my kids wear a ski helmet, until they were big enough for mx helmet. i am just repeating the law, i do not agree with it!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
The other problem for toddlers is not just the weight of the helmet, but because most toddlers head mass is bigger in relationship to their body than adults, When you add on the extra mass of a helmet, it can potentially cause neck issues. You just need to be aware of that as you look. (And I'm not blowing smoke out my backside, I learned about the anatomy of toddlers vs adults as an EMT.)

·
Registered
266 Posts
My little man rides in the RZR with my wife and I ride a quad. I wasn't going to get him a helmet, but we were having trouble with his goggles staying on and fitting right. I thought a helmet would help keep his goggles in place. When he rides, he is in a car seat with the nets up and I have modified the t-bar so that I can let it out far enough for him to hold on. I didn't know how he'd do with the helmet, but he loves it. Now he has a "hat" like his daddy's. He cries when he has to take it off.

·
Registered
738 Posts
The other problem for toddlers is not just the weight of the helmet, but because most toddlers head mass is bigger in relationship to their body than adults, When you add on the extra mass of a helmet, it can potentially cause neck issues. You just need to be aware of that as you look. (And I'm not blowing smoke out my backside, I learned about the anatomy of toddlers vs adults as an EMT.)
I completely agree with the neck issues. My grandsons complained their neck hurt when wearing helmets in the Ranger and the RZR even though they both wore helmets when riding their quads. The difference was when on their quads they had a neck brace/support attached to their chest protectors; when in the RZR they did not. They now wear a neck brace/support in the RZR and are fine.

·
SomeGuyFromOlympia
1,782 Posts
My little girl is almost two......she has the smallest motorcycle helmet made (xxs?)
....she is small for her age, and she gets by just fine.

I do have a loop in the visor vents my me to grap if the terrain gets rough, of she falls asleep.

If you ride the Oregon Dunes....pretty sure they want to see DOT stuff now

She gets along fine, Im sure that your little passenger will be fine too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts