Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Bret: Welcome !!!
Question? Do you think we will ever be able to ride our UTV's on the Shafer trail? Such beautiful scenery there. I know the BLM lets you ride there but if you read the BIG sign near the entrance on Potash road it clearly says basically "we don't care if your UTV is legal or not you can't ride on the Forest side of the trail". That in a nutshell. I was told by the Forest Department (their words) "Vehicles that cannot legally drive on a interstate cannot drive on the Shafer Trail or other park roads". Just wondering if we will ever be able to ride that trail or have to get in our trucks to see it. Maybe not your expertise on the subject but thought I would ask.
You cannot atv/utv in any National park. There are some national forest areas that allow riding, but not within actual national park boundaries, like canyonlands, arches, grand canyon, yellowstone, ect..
That is incorrect. We ride in Yellowstone every year and have for the last several years.

You have to be licensed, insured, and have tires with a DOT stamp. They actually check your tires. You can't ride off road, but we did the 100 plus mile loop from West Yellowstone last year.
I do see Yellowstone made an exception for MPV's starting in 2008. But, Arches and Canyonlands are definitely off limits. There are signs everywhere even saying so

·
Registered
249 Posts
Alright. Great to see they put a sticky on this thread so it is easy to find and share. Thanks guys.

·
Cave diver
97 Posts
Hey Bret is there a RZR/UTVs towing or rescue service in Moab if you break down out in the middle of nowhere? We usually ride with friends, but not always. I try to carry enough supplies and spare parts, but can’t cover everything.

Thank you.
Mark

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Hey Bret is there a RZR/UTVs towing or rescue service in Moab if you break down out in the middle of nowhere? We usually ride with friends, but not always. I try to carry enough supplies and spare parts, but can’t cover everything.

Thank you.
Mark
That's a great question. There are at least a couple companies in town who offer trailside recovery and/or repair services. Below you'll find the companies we were able to specifically identify with a UTV focus. Hope this helps!

Moab Side X Side Garage
Ultimate UTV Adventures

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I read some where that Utah has changed to law and you do not need DOT approved tires. Is that true for your local streets.
The original requirements indicated that DOT tires were required. The latest state code does not appear to indicate that tires must be DOT compliant. Here is a link to the latest state code governing equipment requirements for street-legal OHV's in Utah:

Utah Street Legal OHV Equipment and Licensing Requirements

·
Registered
129 Posts
Can an out of state UTV with all the requirements to be plated in the state of Utah but owned and residence in Texas be plated and or register for street legal use when visiting Utah?

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
377 Posts
Can an out of state UTV with all the requirements to be plated in the state of Utah but owned and residence in Texas be plated and or register for street legal use when visiting Utah?
Read this post and Sgt. Edge's response in the next post: https://www.rzrforums.net/southwest-arizona/381225-ohv-q-w-moab-city-police-department.html#post4446298

Also, see this post and Sgt. Edge's response in the next post: https://www.rzrforums.net/southwest-arizona/381225-ohv-q-w-moab-city-police-department-2.html#post4898361

If your RZR is plated, insured and legal for street use in the state of Texas, AND has all the street-legal equipment requirements for Utah, it can be legally operated on the streets in Utah. Otherwise, you'd have to explore alternatives such as getting it insured and licensed in another state (in the thread linked above, there are several discussions about people who have registered/plated in both South Dakota and Idaho).

61 - 68 of 68 Posts