Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at some posts on both this forum and the General forum. I ordered a General XP 4 Deluxe with Ride Command 10 days ago sight unseen. I have never seen one or driven one. Last week after reading some reviews about issues with Turf mode and a reverse chain issue, I have started doubting my order. I spoke to the general manager at the dealership and was told I could order something different from Polaris and not lose my deposit money. I started looking at a few on the showroom floor and doing research here and some reviews on YouTube. Every 4 seat SXS that we have looked at are sold already. Last week we went by the dearlership and they had a 2 seat General in for service. I was allowed to sit in the seat to see how it fit. I am 6'1" and was not impressed with my knees nearly touching the dash. They had a 2 seat RZR which I did get to sit in and had more room because of the dash design. I did see a Turbo S4 but didn't get to drive it or sit in it because it was sold. It was a beauty to look at. It comes ready to ride. I have never owned a SXS but want to ensure I get the best one for my money. All of my riding will be done here on the trails around the area. My neighbor took me for a ride one time and I fell in love with being able to get to places and see the beauty of this country. Back in the early 2000's I owned corvettes. I love speed but didn't use it all the time. I am in my late 60's and need some opinions as to what you think would be a better fit for me. Thanks for the inputs to help in my decision making. Spending this much money I hope it is the right decision. Elcorbs

·
Registered
375 Posts
I’m 66, started with Jeeps and dirt bikes, had 3wheeler and two Polaris atv’s. Went to a side by side, a 900 S which both my wife and I enjoyed. We decided to get a 4 seater to take grandkids along, plus I felt it would be more stable. I ended up with a XP4 Turbo S Dynamix....wow! It’s fast, it’s stable, it’s comfortable, couldn’t be happier. My good buddy had money down on a General, nothing wrong with them, but when I let him drive mine he changed his order.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I’m also a Mohave Valley local. I had a 2016 XP4 1000 which I sold last January after buying a Pro XP4 Ultimate. The Pro has the Dynamix suspension adjustable on the fly, with buttons on the steering wheel. Also lots of interior space with removable, fold down rear seats that create a huge cargo area. It’s a cushy ride over the torn up trails to the East. (We need some serious rain to scrub out the washes and tit-jigglers!)
I’ve never driven the General and I’m quite sure it will do any local trail the XP’s can do. Maybe not as smoothly or as fast but it’ll get you there (I see plenty of them around)
They used to have Maps at Bullhead Powersports for a $2 donation to Search and Rescue that show the BLM trails up the hill, with the local landmarks you’ll soon become familiar with: the Blue Boat, Panty Tree etc.
Whatever you decide, I’m sure it’ll be fun! Happy trails!

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Welcome from east Idaho.
To get away from the reverse chain you'll have to go xpt or pro. Added bonus is their drive train is way stronger plus you get a turbo.
The General isn't a bad machine but I think you would soon regret the choice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m 66, started with Jeeps and dirt bikes, had 3wheeler and two Polaris atv’s. Went to a side by side, a 900 S which both my wife and I enjoyed. We decided to get a 4 seater to take grandkids along, plus I felt it would be more stable. I ended up with a XP4 Turbo S Dynamix....wow! It’s fast, it’s stable, it’s comfortable, couldn’t be happier. My good buddy had money down on a General, nothing wrong with them, but when I let him drive mine he changed his order.
That is good to know. I am going up to the dealership in the morning and will give them my decision. I am sure I will be happy with the General, but I don't want to say" I knew I should have bought that Turbo S 4 instead. Thanks for your opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome from east Idaho.
To get away from the reverse chain you'll have to go xpt or pro. Added bonus is their drive train is way stronger plus you get a turbo.
The General isn't a bad machine but I think you would soon regret the choice.
That is exactly what I am scared of doing. Spending this much money I want to ensure it is going to make me happy with no regrets.

·
Registered
Polaris 2020 RZR 1000 S
173 Posts
I’m also a Mohave Valley local. I had a 2016 XP4 1000 which I sold last January after buying a Pro XP4 Ultimate. The Pro has the Dynamix suspension adjustable on the fly, with buttons on the steering wheel. Also lots of interior space with removable, fold down rear seats that create a huge cargo area. It’s a cushy ride over the torn up trails to the East. (We need some serious rain to scrub out the washes and tit-jigglers!)
I’ve never driven the General and I’m quite sure it will do any local trail the XP’s can do. Maybe not as smoothly or as fast but it’ll get you there (I see plenty of them around)
They used to have Maps at Bullhead Powersports for a $2 donation to Search and Rescue that show the BLM trails up the hill, with the local landmarks you’ll soon become familiar with: the Blue Boat, Panty Tree etc.
Whatever you decide, I’m sure it’ll be fun! Happy trails!
Don't forget the Narrows

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was amazed about the water flow that could smash that vehicle like a junk yard would. We went to the dead end in 2019 (not possible anymore the last time I tried) and that wreck was gone. I thought someone had gone to great effort to remove it. My friends son hiked down the waterfall and found it farther down towards the other dead end. I’d love to see the water raging through that canyon....from up above!

·
Registered
Polaris 2020 RZR 1000 S
173 Posts
I rode Secret Pass Canyon last March which was my first ride in a SXS. Those pictures are very familiar. That is exactly why I want to get out and explore with friends that already have SXS's. Ready for the fun to begin. I saw what looked like a Ford Bronco in the stream.
I'm confused with Secret Pass and the Narrows. My map info shows Secret Pass north of Hwy 68. The Narrows we drove through is just south of Laughlin Ranch Rd in Bullhead City. Something like 20 miles a part. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I ended up buying the Turbo S4. Cost is less and 95% of the time we won't have rear passengers so the smaller back seats will do.
Nice!
They're a great machine. Bad news is what you spent today is only half what it will really cost by the time you make it perfect for you...
Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
The “Narrows“ was called “Pass Canyon” when I arrived in 2013. Maybe because there’s a Secret Pass Canyon Rd in Laughlin Ranch, near the wash that leads to the downstream dead end. It always confused me too after I discovered ”Secret Pass Canyon”, uphill and east of the Panty Tree. It’s in the Mt Nutt Wilderness and there’s another entrance that you’re not supposed to take but many do. (Closer to the Narrows top entrance) If you have the clearance you can connect to the other entrance. My 4 seater with stock wheels was a no-go in 3 spots. The last time I was at the Panty Tree a group came down the wash and said you couldn’t get through to the normal entrance of Secret Pass.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm confused with Secret Pass and the Narrows. My map info shows Secret Pass north of Hwy 68. The Narrows we drove through is just south of Laughlin Ranch Rd in Bullhead City. Something like 20 miles a part. :unsure:
The guy I was riding with told me it was Secret Pass Canyon. Once I start riding and using the Ride Command to find out where I am going I will know for sure. We went through some narrows like in your pictures then came up to some wet sand. The water was flowing under the sand. We walked maybe 100 yards and found a small waterfall. I will have to ask him again about where we went. He led a group of 3 to the pass.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts