Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
17 Turbo both front and rear diffs drainplugs are stripped whereas I screw the plug in it fails to get tight. The plug/bolt is fine and I can get it out w/o issue.

My plan is to use a helicoil kit off Amazon to fix this. I have never done this before, I am told its rather simple. They have different sizes though, anyone know what to get?

I see one with this title: CO-Z 131 pc Stripped Thread Rethread Recoil Repair Kit Metric M5 M6 M8 M10 M12

Thank you

·
GPS GURU
184 Posts

·
Standard Vendor
1,512 Posts
Unless you bond the coil in somehow it might leak. If you can get them out you could find the next size up tap in American standard, tap them out and use a bolt and o-ring. Might even consider an NPT tap and plug, They are tapered and it will probably seal better.
Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
How did you end up stripping them? I'm JW I know they get real tight for some reason I always use antiseize after I put them back in to help and if you could get them somewhat tight you can use gear oil rtv to seal it but idk how bad its striped

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just "bite the bullet" and buy these. Never worry about it again.
https://www.sandcraftmotorsports.com/product/ultimate-drain-plug-kit/
How is buying that gonna solve his stripped plug problem?

I have used helicoils in head studs before with good results but not in any areas that have fluid transfer. I would worry about leaks myself. But Maybe your copper gasket will work well enough
Sorry. I thought he stripped the pathetic 8mm hex opening for the plug removal. Carry on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How did you end up stripping them?
I was careful, but just tightened them a tad too tight. The first go around I covered the bolt with gasket maker and it worked fine. Did not leak or move a bit. Just changed the oil in the rear, was going to do the same thing, but it just feels a little looser now. Beyond what I consider comfortable.

A friend said helicoil, seems as if that is being met with mixed reviews.

Starting to sound like its going in the trailer and over to Ridenow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts