Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Grandpa
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a long travel that came with 3/4 heims on the front a-arms. These would be fine in the dry sand but I live in the south. Dirt and mud. The problem I have is that after a couple of hours of riding, my steering gets really stiff because dirt gets into the heims and this sucks. If I take the heims off and clean them, everything is fine for a little while. Sick of doing this and before I buy more heims and I found some boots that I can install over them to help, I would rather find a fix for the problem. The heims that I have are not the cheap ones, they are very heavy huty kevlar lined ones. I installed power steering but that just covers the problem up.

What I would like to know is Since my a-arms are threaded, is there any way of making a factory or aftermarket ball joint work with my suspension and completely do away with the heims.

·
King of crash!
31,882 Posts
might look at some of the quad stuff they have some like that..but might not be strong enought... or get new front arms...

·
Registered
916 Posts
Check with McMaster Carr, they might have some different style heim joints or ball joints that will be better in the mud.

·
Grandpa
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already checked with them. I need a sealed heim, which I haven't found or a ball joint.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I have a long travel that came with 3/4 heims on the front a-arms. These would be fine in the dry sand but I live in the south. Dirt and mud. The problem I have is that after a couple of hours of riding, my steering gets really stiff because dirt gets into the heims and this sucks. If I take the heims off and clean them, everything is fine for a little while. Sick of doing this and before I buy more heims and I found some boots that I can install over them to help, I would rather find a fix for the problem. The heims that I have are not the cheap ones, they are very heavy huty kevlar lined ones. I installed power steering but that just covers the problem up.

What I would like to know is Since my a-arms are threaded, is there any way of making a factory or aftermarket ball joint work with my suspension and completely do away with the heims.
:baby: You drive around most of the mud anyway :rofl3:

·
Banned
399 Posts
Go with good hiems with covers, Ball joints suck!

J

·
0 Posts

:baby: You drive around most of the mud anyway :rofl3:
Yes..:rofl3:....but I have seen Chris go up some steep rocks! He is most definitely right about the heim joints around these parts. When I did the long travel with mine, everything remained with the ball joints except for the tie rod ends and they got replaced with a heim joint. Every now and again they get dirty and it takes all my strength to turn the wheels...That's when I break out the PB Blaster and spray them good......I think of my poor buddy Chris every time I have to do that....

·
Grandpa
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good one Will, you rock man...................... I mean suck. At 66" wide, sometimes you just don't wanna get mud in your eye on every mudhole. Let see how you feel about the mud this winter, oh yea, you can't ride in the winter, your panties might get to cold. But I'm sure your wife will go with us though.:rofl3:

·
Grandpa
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ttt

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Bump.. All Jking a side.. He really does need some help. His RZR could use some to :) His steering does get really stiff.. Stiff enough you can feel the power steering struggling. Its bad enough I made sure I didn't get a LT with Heims lol

·
Grandpa
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Talked to Larry about his "heim-balls", that just makes me giggle a little when I say it out loud. Nice guy, btw. I,m gonna check the thread size on mine to make sure they will fit and I think I'll give them a shot. Sounds like that my best option right now.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Talked to Larry about his "heim-balls", that just makes me giggle a little when I say it out loud. Nice guy, btw. I,m gonna check the thread size on mine to make sure they will fit and I think I'll give them a shot. Sounds like that my best option right now.
Can't hide money :rofl3:

·
Grandpa
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can't hide money :rofl3:
:rofl3:I know

·
Grandpa
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ordered some of the heim-balls and ordered some female heims for my steering from Mc Carr. I can't remember where I found the boots though. Gonna need them for the tie-rod heims. Guess I'll have to wait til next week to talk to the guy that told me about them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts