Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my buddy just bent his second rear a-arm and also cracked the bearing carrier again becuase of this. The first time he slammed the tire into a tree slidding sideways which is understandable but this time he just hit a stump sliding a little sideways at pretty low speed, it was just slick mud that spun him out. It really didnt take much to rip that wheel right off. It seems like the rear a-arms are basically made from sheet metal. They dont even look durable. So my question is, where can you buy stock length heavy duty a-arms (if they even make them) and additionally, where can you buy aftermarket heavy duty bearing carriers?

And knowing him, just telling him to slow down wont be an option haha.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I am starting to wonder if we are in the only industry in the world, where there is an expectation that there are indistructable parts that should be available to us.

Where do we get the idea we should have parts that won't break after hitting trees and stumps?

No offense ment, but what sports industry has industructable parts?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the first one that comes to mind is the closely related sport of motocross. A-arms on race quad wouldnt even come close to bending or cracking under those circumstances. Yeah they arent indestructible and they will eventually break under extreme conditions but anything in the world will eventually break under extreme enough conditions. I never said i wanted something that was indestructable. Very reasonable to assume that they make a-arms similar to those that have been on race quads for years.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Check out Super ATV and see what they have.

I wish people would stop comparing these to quads or jeeps or anything else that has wheels...

These SxS's; UTV's or whatever you call them is what they are and they are built the way they are.

If you can look at one AFTER a wreck and say "these should have ___________"; then look at them BEFORE the wreck and notice the same thing; then don't put yourself in the situation(s) where they'll break. Then you'll be happy your machine didn't break.

Note: You will be miserable that you're not riding where I'm riding.

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
So my buddy just bent his second rear a-arm and also cracked the bearing carrier again becuase of this. The first time he slammed the tire into a tree slidding sideways which is understandable but this time he just hit a stump sliding a little sideways at pretty low speed, it was just slick mud that spun him out. It really didnt take much to rip that wheel right off. It seems like the rear a-arms are basically made from sheet metal. They dont even look durable. So my question is, where can you buy stock length heavy duty a-arms (if they even make them) and additionally, where can you buy aftermarket heavy duty bearing carriers?

Well, the first one that comes to mind is the closely related sport of motocross. A-arms on race quad wouldnt even come close to bending or cracking under those circumstances. Yeah they arent indestructible and they will eventually break under extreme conditions but anything in the world will eventually break under extreme enough conditions. I never said i wanted something that was indestructable. Very reasonable to assume that they make a-arms similar to those that have been on race quads for years.
A sport quad weights 400lbs, a RZR 1200lbs.
A racing quad has no rear a arms. Race quads have axles, I personally have bent Quad rear axles numerous times, hitting nothing at all but the ground.

Sitting in an XP, seat belted in, with 14" of suspension travel, and sliding side ways into a tree/stump/wall/banking/washout/whatever else we've seen here lately, would probably have thrown a Quad rider completely off his quad. But feels like a not so bad bump' in the seat of a good SxS.

Many here don't relize, silding even slowly(10mph?) downhill sideways into a tree with the rear wheel of a 1200lb small car, puts enormous pressure on those parts. Wonder what a quad riders leg would feel like if it got caught between that RZR wheel and the stump???

Bottom line here, yes they could be made stronger to take almost anything. The weight and or cost would skyrocket. Its either exotic expensive light weight materials, or more heavy steel.

I personalty think 1200lbs dry weight, is plenty heavy enough.

People that complain about breaking things after hitting things, even slowly, should look more to their driving skills and not drive over their head.
Driving Skills seems to running low, I mean come on, why would you not be able to control your rzr only going 10mph.
To be blunt, I am getting so tired of hearing stuff exactly like this,,, Sounds more like lacking skill, not strength, imo.

jmo

·
Registered
202 Posts

A sport quad weights 400lbs, a RZR 1200lbs.
A racing quad has no rear a arms. Race quads have axles, I personally have bent Quad rear axles numerous times, hitting nothing at all but the ground.

Sitting in an XP, seat belted in, with 14" of suspension travel, and sliding side ways into a tree/stump/wall/banking/washout/whatever else we've seen here lately, would probably have thrown a Quad rider completely off his quad. But feels like a not so bad bump' in the seat of a good SxS.

Many here don't relize, silding even slowly(10mph?) downhill sideways into a tree with the rear wheel of a 1200lb small car, puts enormous pressure on those parts. Wonder what a quad riders leg would feel like if it got caught between that RZR wheel and the stump???

Bottom line here, yes they could be made stronger to take almost anything. The weight and or cost would skyrocket. Its either exotic expensive light weight materials, or more heavy steel.

I personalty think 1200lbs dry weight, is plenty heavy enough.

People that complain about breaking things after hitting things, even slowly, should look more to their driving skills and not drive over their head.
Driving Skills seems to running low, I mean come on, why would you not be able to control your rzr only going 10mph.
To be blunt, I am getting so tired of hearing stuff exactly like this,,, Sounds more like lacking skill, not strength, imo.

jmo
I respectfully partly disagree. I feel that there should be something of a middle ground here. some of their parts are undeniably awful but I don't think anybody is debating that. I just feel that some aspects of the rzr could be a hell of a lot stronger. yes most of the issues you see come from driver error however look at the poor bushings, a-arm mounts, frame design, the list goes on. that being said they had price points to make and not all of their parts suck but some of the ones that do stick out quite a lot.

To the op: I would look at Racer Tech, they even have a product abuse video you can check out.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

Quadman u just asked a simple question. Which should have had a simple answer.
Look into gusset kits, racertech a-arms, chromoly step washers bushing pivots from racertech.
Look through racertech, thunderhawk, utvinc to get ideas and then look around the forum for things other guys have done to beef up.

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
I respectfully partly disagree. I feel that there should be something of a middle ground here. some of their parts are undeniably awful but I don't think anybody is debating that. I just feel that some aspects of the rzr could be a hell of a lot stronger. yes most of the issues you see come from driver error however look at the poor bushings, a-arm mounts, frame design, the list goes on. that being said they had price points to make and not all of their parts suck but some of the ones that do stick out quite a lot.

To the op: I would look at Racer Tech, they even have a product abuse video you can check out.
Thats cool, I can respect that. And I agree with you somewhat.

So are you saying you want a XP that weights the same or more than a wildcat or commander at 1400lbs or so ? Thats at least what it would take with heavy duty arms, frames, etc...And then it would probably be just as slow as them.

Or are you saying you want a more expensive XP, $20,000+ that uses more expensive stronger lighter materials ?

Or you just want Polaris to make less profit and give us the more expensive materials to make it light and stronger for no extra cost... That would be nice, but you and I know, not going to happen.

Regretfully, I don't see many other options ? other than a compromise of changing some of the weaker parts for stronger ones, and leaving the others lighter and still weak. Like they have done on the 2013, slightly.

To the op, just bolting on stronger arms and bearing carriers won't let a rzr be able to bounce off stumps and trees unscathed. More than likely the damage will now be bent frames and broken drivetrain parts.

jmo

·
Registered
202 Posts

Thats cool, I can respect that. And I agree with you somewhat.

So are you saying you want a XP that weights the same or more than a wildcat or commander at 1400lbs or so ? Thats at least what it would take with heavy duty arms, frames, etc...And then it would probably be just as slow as them.

Or are you saying you want a more expensive XP, $20,000+ that uses more expensive stronger lighter materials ?

Or you just want Polaris to make less profit and give us the more expensive materials to make it light and stronger for no extra cost... That would be nice, but you and I know, not going to happen.

Regretfully, I don't see many other options ? other than a compromise of changing some of the weaker parts for stronger ones, and leaving the others lighter and still weak. Like they have done on the 2013, slightly.

To the op, just bolting on stronger arms and bearing carriers won't let a rzr be able to bounce off stumps and trees unscathed. More than likely the damage will now be bent frames and broken drivetrain parts.

jmo
I personally feel it could be a combination of things like a new frame design though that would require a new type of rzr most likely. I did also acknowledge they have a price point to make which is completely understandable however Ive posted previously Id have spent up to another 10k from the factory if they put out a model that merits the price jump. All this being said some of the factory engineering (frame design) could be drastically improved for a minimal price increase of 1k or much less.

I would like to clarify one last thing (respectfully) im not a bandwagger that cries about polaris because others are. Their products could just use some rethinking now that the sxs market has taken off and they have the $ for R&D of the sport sxs line up.

Ill close with this and this is opinion. These are not race quads but they basically advertise them as such. The quad weighs 1/3 but literally only costs 1/3. One of the main things allowing them to take such abuse is the thought and engineering put into them (race quads). The idea (design) holds the machine together as much as anything and I personally feel its time for some re-enginerring. Yes the rzr is great but youd think they could make them A BIT stronger. And yes if they use more or better materials here is me saying it, I will GLADLY pay more for better quality, make your same margins and charge me more if it actually is better. as far as more weight vs exotic materials, they can pick that, just give me a good power to weight ratio and ill be happy.

Thread jacking over (lol)

Again this is respectfully my opinion and nothing more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quadman u just asked a simple question. Which should have had a simple answer.
Look into gusset kits, racertech a-arms, chromoly step washers bushing pivots from racertech.
Look through racertech, thunderhawk, utvinc to get ideas and then look around the forum for things other guys have done to beef up.
Thank you. I appreciate that. An answer to my question rather than starting a debate. All i wanted to know was if they made stronger a-arms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts