Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
you should qualify which connections.
as long as it is limited to the photo yes with a caveat: perform it on a benchtop only and you know why.

if you accidentally cut a wire and need a simple repair then maybe its fine.

if it is a conductor that relies on a particular resistance Ω then a splice is questionable at best. Your ECU will text you and raise hell.

heat shrink seminar 101:

there are other uses for shrink in the field for high power. Don't confuse them. Whole different animal. those have a slime layer inside that activates with heat and acts as gap filler. Electrical dudes or dudettes repairing underground at 3am in the mud and rain are never gonna achieve waterproof integrity. hence different classes of heat shrink. But they are trained.

·
Registered
159 Posts
heat shrink works great just installed our light bar and blower system using heat shrink butt connecters very easy to use.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mattmanstroked: connections as far as spliced and/or soldered (i.e. aftermarket power steering, winch, lights, etc.)

itsruf: I never intended to use a blow torch I think a heat gun would work sufficient and I was asking about this product because I didn't want to become a "trail mechanic"

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
Your first piece s/b practice pieces. not screwing up the actual connection.
Since it is fairly inexpensive buy some and try a few. I have used a few brands and they seem to shrivel up differently.

Even on a benchtop they can be tricky, collapsing it uniformly.
On a RZR you might not be able to roll it because of tight quarters. Put aluminum foil behind it as reqd.
Some guys are good enough to use a Bic Lighter but not me.

Try Radio Shack or Lowe's electrical aisle or stop by and help yourself.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts