Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for my first ride on my new 2012 RZR S. I have a Cooter Brown cover and it got so hot in the bed it melted my rain suit so I am building a heat shield.I have a choice of 5052 at 090 or 6061 at 1/8 inch.Which shoud I use? Should I Thermo-Tec with 13590? Your advice/comments please.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Brian, both are more than thick enough only problem with really thin material is the vibration noise you may get . I can't remember right off hand I think mine was .080 or .090 I personally think the key is the Thermo Tec. Their is a thread on here if you do a search that will have pictures to help. Really an easy job. I have the same cargo box as you and love it . Stays good inside after the mod. Now the only thing that gets hot inside is the bolts that comes thru.on the very back of the heat shield I pop riveted a extension to cover a little over the muffler area

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know every one does these out of aluminum but is there a reason other than weight? Aluminum is a conductor and will suck up the heat quickly which is why they use it for heat sinks but I would think it is also going to pass the heat right along. Wouldn't stainless be a better option as a heat "shield"? A piece of .030" polished ss would weigh the same as the .090 aluminum and reflect the heat better. I guess the downside would be once it does get hot it is going to stay that way longer. I'm just typing out loud and wondering what others might think.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I know every one does these out of aluminum but is there a reason other than weight? Aluminum is a conductor and will suck up the heat quickly which is why they use it for heat sinks but I would think it is also going to pass the heat right along. Wouldn't stainless be a better option as a heat "shield"? A piece of .030" polished ss would weigh the same as the .090 aluminum and reflect the heat better. I guess the downside would be once it does get hot it is going to stay that way longer. I'm just typing out loud and wondering what others might think.
You are right about aluminum being a good conductor of heat. I used it because I had a sheet in the shed and it was free my fav price. I think the Idea is to reflect the radiant heat and stainless would work just fine. I do like the Thermo Tec. I have had mine a while now and you can hold your hand inside the box for as long as you want. Sometimes the sun on the outside of the cover is hotter than the inside. Someone posted you could buy one from one of the vendors and I agree you can but I would still buy and install the Thermo Tec as you can tell I am sold on that stuff .being in the tool & die trade all my life I have a tendency to over build everything. Anything you do is better than like it is .
The picture also shows a UTV inc passenger shield I modified to cover the fender that was getting too hot also

·
NorCalRzr-S
4,996 Posts
Where do a get the thermal tec at?

DevilDoc Junior

1 - 9 of 9 Posts