Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chances are i wont worry about it till next year because the weather will turn cool soon, but has anyone successfully blocked off the heat coming into the cab on an 800 rzr? I use a roof, front and back windshields. its just so stuffy. no air flow. just a radiant heat. It feels as if most of the heat is coming from the radiator, but i cant be sure. Block off dash? wrap exhaust? aluminum backed tape helped anybody out in certain spots? Just looking for some ideas. I have PRP extra wide seats so i pretty much have a wall of seat between me and the engine compartment. Also, although some windshield modifications may be in my future when i build a cage, its not on the drawing board for right now. I'd rather be a little warm than to inhale 3 pounds of dust from the typically dry southern summers. I can trial and error with the best of them so i'm wondering what people have tried and what worked.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Chances are i wont worry about it till next year because the weather will turn cool soon, but has anyone successfully blocked off the heat coming into the cab on an 800 rzr? I use a roof, front and back windshields. its just so stuffy. no air flow. just a radiant heat. It feels as if most of the heat is coming from the radiator, but i cant be sure. Block off dash? wrap exhaust? aluminum backed tape helped anybody out in certain spots? Just looking for some ideas. I have PRP extra wide seats so i pretty much have a wall of seat between me and the engine compartment. Also, although some windshield modifications may be in my future when i build a cage, its not on the drawing board for right now. I'd rather be a little warm than to inhale 3 pounds of dust from the typically dry southern summers. I can trial and error with the best of them so i'm wondering what people have tried and what worked.
All of the block off efforts will help you, and now for my bandwagon on the flip-out windshield because that is your missing link. With a cab it does two things, allows for ventilation, and also in the first out position creates an air foil inside the cab forcing the dust that YOU kick up out of the cab and puts it in the rear cargo area. Flip full open for unrestricted vision especially directly in front of the car, and of course all the way closed for that full windshield protection.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i made a flip windshield on the ranger i had. I know they work really well, but i'm not willing to hack up the lock n ride windshield i have now. maybe when i build a new cage although i'm going to try to make it to accommodate the same windshield.

to clear things up, i don't have an enclosed cab in case there's any misunderstanding there.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
i made a flip windshield on the ranger i had. I know they work really well, but i'm not willing to hack up the lock n ride windshield i have now. maybe when i build a new cage although i'm going to try to make it to accommodate the same windshield.

to clear things up, i don't have an enclosed cab in case there's any misunderstanding there.
Yeah, I noticed that. This time of year, we ride with the doors off, that simulates your full windshield, top, and rear window. With our doors on, the ability to vent the windshield even becomes more obvious as it seems a fully enclosed cab just wants to suck everything in from outside.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The coolant tubes run right pas the passenger feet and along the floor. Pull the skid, undo to tube mounts and wrap them with insulation. Cut down the heat in mine probably 50%. You will be amazed. Put your hand on the passenger floor and lower firewall after riding a bit. Its hot. I just have a windshield and it would get warm and the passenger feet were real warm.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'll do that. i thought some of the heat was probably coming from the coolant lines. its really evident when it starts raining and the windshield takes half an hour to quit fogging up.

·
Officially Addicted
694 Posts
I bought a roll of insulation from Lowes yesterday. It is radiant heat insulation. It is metallic and thin. Gonna put it under my box in the bed and also around my fuel rail. I guess you could use it anywhere.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
A while back I made a heat shield for the bed and put Thermo Tec foil on it that stuff really works good. I got a cooter Brown cargo cover and had to do something . The bed you can hold your hand on it no problem now just don't touch the bolts that come thru they are hot. Now I got to find a way to insulate those. Bolts.today I will check out the foil from lowes would be nice if the cabin was cooler

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yeah, I too just bought a roll of the silver reflective bubble material from Lowes. Ive read to stick that stuff to the fire wall and access door behind the seats as well, along with wrapping the coolant lines under the floorboard.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I used black expanding pond foam to seal off the firewall, helped a ton.
I will try the insulation on the coolant lines under the floor, a good idea.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
What does Lowes call this material?
I don't want to go in and have to try to explain to them what the heck I am talking about.
I run into this a lot at our local Lowes.

Doug

·
Registered
228 Posts

I just bought it a cpl days ago from Lowes. Pretty cheap too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts