Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After realizing I have to replace my head gasket on my RZR4 800 I've decided I would also like to have it ported and polished while I have the head off. Can anyone tell me if I do will I have to program my rzr? Also does anyone know if the factory head bolts are ok to re-use?? All the extra help is appreciated along with any tips or tricks.

·
Premium Member
41,099 Posts
im looking to do the same thing to my 800. did you have any luck finding out any info on it?
If you just port the head your head bolts will work fine... I suggest a fuel controller as the higher flowing head will require adjustments... Polishing isn't the way to go... CNC Porting is the most accurate way...

·
Vendor
10,464 Posts
My opinion may not be the popular one. If all you are going to do is port the head, don't.

My opinion is there is not enough RPM in these engines therefore not enough air flowing for it to make a difference. Secondly go to any dyno chart before and after porting anything from boats to trains you will see the gains in the upper RPM only.

You will also see a decline in power in the lower rpm due to low velocity and more volume.

Since you don't have the RPM to support it or a larger bore or stroke to need more air movement you will be less than impressed on what you spent for it.

I was at one time interested in making the intake ports smaller to speed velocity up for more low end but never got into it. That would be a very low return on investment for business.

Again this is my opinion and I only am interested in doing or selling something that actually does something you can feel otherwise it is a waste.

Todd

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
somewhat agree ,bigger valve loses bottom end w/o gains but putting in the kibblewhite valves with a valve pocket clean up and a little porting is good for a few ponies,as althiugh it's not a revver the stock ports are small and the area under the valve is shaped horribly stock and gutting a little of the valve guides sticking into the ports is good,but would only do this when its time for a valve job,some motors are beggin for a port job the siamised intake and small long exhaust ports on this motor as well as it not being healthy to rev it much past stock make this engine about the worst case for spending big money on head work I can think of,honda 305 1966,flat head ford,straight six's(some not all) are right in this ball park also

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help, Im leaking oil out of both the valve cover gasket and the head gasket. Thinking of replacing gaskets myself although I dont have a whole lot of motor knowledge. My RZR is blowing a ton of smoke out of the exhaust. Is there anything I need to keep in mind when I do this. Just bought my first RZR and this is my first post on the forum. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
But also look up the "top end" videos on YouTube.

They will take you through the work you want to do step by step.

But if you're blowing that much oil, you probably need a top end job. New pistons and rings, new cylinders and cleaning up the valves and replacing seals.

All are covered in the videos.

And yes, by all means get a Service Manual for your machine

Everyone should get the Service Manual when their machine is delivered. Spend time with it and learn a lot about your machine! Best money you can spend!

Pirate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts