Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Gawd! How hard can it be to to get the dang head bolts loose??? I pulled my bad motor and am trying to tear into it to see what I broke, but I can't get the head bolts loose. I've tried my 1/2" impact and still can't get them, to budge. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
hmm,, the torque spec is only 35ft lbs.
you are turning them the right way aren't you? (stupid question,,, I know)..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh, yeah I'm turning it the right way, unless they're left hand threads....:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mine were crazy hard to get out too! I must have looked at the service manual 3 times to make sure the torque specs were only 35lbs. I thought they must have been torqued to 120lbs or something. I ended up with a 1/2 socket and breaker bar. Work each bolt one at a time, each one would creak (getting about 1/16th of a turn) then I'd move on, working them in a cross pattern like the manual says. Took me some time but finally got them. FYI unless yours are different then mine you can't get the bottom middle bolt out until the valves are loose. Also remember to drain the anti freeze, i forgot and it cost me a lot of cleanup time!

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Mine were crazy hard to get out too! I must have looked at the service manual 3 times to make sure the torque specs were only 35lbs. I thought they must have been torqued to 120lbs or something. I ended up with a 1/2 socket and breaker bar. Work each bolt one at a time, each one would creak (getting about 1/16th of a turn) then I'd move on, working them in a cross pattern like the manual says. Took me some time but finally got them. FYI unless yours are different then mine you can't get the bottom middle bolt out until the valves are loose. Also remember to drain the anti freeze, i forgot and it cost me a lot of cleanup time!

Actually it is 35 lb plus 1/4 turn which is almost 60 lb on end, but still should be no problem to loose them.IMHO
milos

·
Premium Member
12,793 Posts

Actually it is 35 lb plus 1/4 turn which is almost 60 lb on end, but still should be no problem to loose them.IMHO
milos
Thats correct, On the last 90 degrees the torque will climb to around 55 to 57lbs go slowly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts