Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
2022 Pro XP4
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much extra fuel do you guys carry and how do you carry it, im trying to find a safe means to haul at least 3.5 gallons of fuel. My wife likes to follow us on her kodiak on long rides and I usually ride pretty hard so we always end up going through at least a 5 gallon spare tank, but my wolverine was easy to haul a 5 gallon can in without it spilling, the pro looks like it's gonna be a little more difficult and require purchasing some sort of carrying device.

· Registered
2,768 Posts
Roto pax cans. Mounted somewhere “inboard” of the cage do they don’t get busted open in the event of a rollover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
576 Posts
You basically have 3 styles to choose from. The rotopax style of cans that were designed for off road use and have nice mounts, there are also soft fuel bladders that are nice, I also really like the Wavian Jerry cans. Each has pros and cons. You need to decide what fits your stye and budget best.

Soft bladders are outside of a price I am willing to pay, but they are super cool.
I have looked at the rotopax style a few times and likely what I would get if I needed one. However in 5500 miles I have never been in a situation where I even came close to being short on fuel.
I really like the Wavian cans. This is what used when we use to ride ATV's. I have never had one of these leak and the seal so well I would even transport fuel inside a car with one If I needed to.

· Registered
2021 1000 XP
964 Posts
^ Here's a second upcheck for the Wavian cans, we have a 2 1/2 gallon Wavian. We only carry it if we're going to be more than 50 miles from <anything>, otherwise we just use onboard fuel.

We've been down the RotoPax road and didn't like it. For water it is a nice solution, for fuel, not so much. In the heat of summer the fuel vaporizes and overpressures the RotoPax; Either you vent the darn plastic thing every day (a gigantic PITA) or it turns into a swollen version of itself that certainly doesn't inspire confidence, and, it hard to dis-mount to boot. After going through 3 of the red fuel Rotopax, we switched and haven't looked back.

Water = plastic; fuel = metal. And as @Nwcid said, the Wavian cans seal amazingly well.

All the best, James

<edit> As an aside, we've only used our spare fuel once. A riding buddy lost his fuel cap, and by the time he noticed, he was almost empty. The spare fuel was enough to get him home.

· Registered
576 Posts
How do you secure it?
How do you secure what?

If you are talking about the Wavian cans the way I use to do it is upright in the bed of the Polars Sportsman 6x6 with a ratchet strap. I had custom "rack" built that extend 3 of the sides and it ended up being just a little taller than the can.

The other way is for normal ATV's with front/rear rack is to lay it on it side and ratchet strap it down.

They do make fuel can holders like you would find on the back of a jeep, however that does not seem practical for ATV/UTV application. I would not take one on my SxS because I have a large tool box in the bed that leaves no practical place for the can. So for me a rotpapx style system would work best for me. I do know guys that carry fuel cans (of all kinds) in their bed.

· Registered
773 Posts
from the sounds of your description you're talking about fuel availability while deep on a trail and not close to the support vehicles? Is use VP racing jugs which hold 6 Gallons each, but we generally aren't far enough from the haul rigs that we carry it with us. worst case is someone goes back to grab a jug.

I don't think what we do is the solution for what you're looking for but just some food for thought.

· Registered
2022 Pro XP4
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah usually we park and ride to destinations that may be 80 to 90 miles out in the woods, so usually about the time we get to our destination we are less than half a tank so we like to top back off, and my wife's kodiak usually takes 3 to 4 gallons and I usually need a few gallons to make it back safe, im not sure what the range is on the pro's but my X4 could only get about 130 miles a tank if I went easy.

· Registered
15 Posts
I guess I would encourage a closer look at a soft fuel bladder. I ended up with a giant loop 5 gallon. Just looked it up, $300 bucks. Also looked at cost of rotopak, with mounts, 5 gallon around, $200. Pretty expensive for the soft bladder, but I have found they will store many places easily. I put it on the floorboards of my 4 seater. Have put it in back. They form fit to the space to a certain degree. My buddy puts it between the seats. If you go to their site, you can watch them drive a truck over a full bladder back and forth, no leaking. Starting low, driving high, bladder just expands a bit, they are really heavy rubber. Sittin in the sun, expands no problem, no leaks. Makes me nervous to watch my buddies rotopaks expand, looks like they could easily leak a bit. Where are they mounted? Usually right over the engine. As said above, must be vented. Plus and minus both ways, but I am really happy with my soft bladder. And possible leaking gas over the engine, no bueno. I felt the extra money was worth the peace of mind. I'm not really sure how you could get one to leak short of a sharp knife. In my opinion, the safest option by far.

· Registered
15 Posts
No one ever plans on tipping on the side, or god forbid rolling. Think about that rotopak and what it will likely do. Same front or rear bumper, where I have seen them mounted sometimes. Where I ride here in Montana we occaisionally back or run into trees or rock walls, not that we drive crazy:cool:

· Premium Member
'21 Pro XP4 Ultimate Rockford Fosgate LE
433 Posts
DO NOT put gas cans in the bed of your rzr. thats how fires start. not smart to store gas in a plastic bed, normally in a plastic container directly above the engine.
Correct, which is exactly why I prefer to store them behind the exhaust. Lol.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

For real though, the extra fuel is needed on tracks and this was my only alternative with the other items I keep on board. There's plenty of room between the tailpipe and can, and this is only for winter use.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

To the O.P: you may consider putting a rack pack like this on the quad and not carry it in the RZR at all. They strap down and you can put a soft bag over them, that's how we ride when going into the bush in Canada...

· Registered
40 Posts
See how I did it to carry fuel, I can fill the rotopax tank at the petrol station without removing it, I use and small hand pump and a hose to transfer the petrol to the PRO main tank.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts