Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Joe, I have to agree with you. After riding HMT for several years and riding Brimstone for several years there is no comparison. Hands down Brimstone is waaaaay more challenging.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Both systems have their appeal.

Challenging trails are definitely in all of the Tennessee systems. With some moderate easy faster paced trails. It’s the place to go for climbing technique based challenge.
In most cases at any given point you can “exit stage left/right” and find that off of the easier trails in Tennessee.

HMT and Spearhead’s appeal is the ability to ride to a destination for food gas lodging on the charted maps and do it over the course of long weekends. Use the local highways to assist in getting to that destination. Pulling into town and parking at the local restaurant is just kind of cool.
Be with nature. Take the kids on their quads or dirt bikes.
I Have watched my kids evolve on the HMT systems.
There are “a few” places to go find some more challenge and the outlaw trails provide a little more but I like going to each type several times a year for these different reasons.
Tennessee is becoming more publicity mapped out but it still is not a go buy a map and get the details of where to go for what. Brimstone does offer this, it being a private entity.
Renting or buying a tablet have become the go to form for getting around the TWRA. Expensive for some riders.
The different permits required confuse a lot of people as to what and how to buy a permit to ride where.
For someone only able to come out of state and spend a long weekend as first timers the WV VA systems just make it easier to do. Plan out and know what you’re getting into ahead of time.

The helmet law bothers some WV VA riders.
I don’t have an issue with it personally.

Overall anytime I’m in the RZR and there is dirt/rock of some sort under the tires I’m a happy guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've been riding Brimstone for close to ten years and I'm wondering where the deep ruts and mud are located. There are some trails with mud but very few. There is everything from easy to difficult. Trail 5 is still easy and we use it as a connector to get to the difficult trails. Sorry but Brimstone and Windrock put HMT trailsystem to shame. But then again I don't like riding dusty gravel logging roads.
I'll be at Brimstone this weekend and find out if I am being told correctly. I stayed there two weeks ago but took a tumble off my Brute Force on a TRWA trail and had to go home early. Now keep in mind I look at the trials as riding a ATV, not a SXS. I like to ride my ATV the first day, and then the RZR the next day. So rating Brimstone as a RZR rider your going to have a whole different opinion. The ruts are not an issue on a RZR. The last time I rode Brimstone was I think in September. So maybe they did some maintenance. I just turned 51, so I think God is telling me it's time to turn in the keys to the ATV and just ride my RZR full time! Honestly ATV's are in the minority any more. It's too bad, but I get it. The SXS is an easy way to enjoy the trails without worrying about getting tossed or taking a fall. I see a lot of folks in those 4 seater's with their kids. We never had children, but if we did, and my wife would ride with me, what a great weekend that would be. Mom and dad get to do what they like and the kids have fun too. Hard to find activities like that.
Lastly, I agree HMT and TN trails are much different. What I like about HMT is you can have the best of it all. If you want to open it up on a smooth trial, there are plenty of options. If you want to do challenging things you have the blacks and outlaws. And I really like the option of going into the local towns on your machine for fuel and food. But we did go into La Follette TN and eat and gas up when we rode the Sunquist unit. So that is nice over there. But I don't know where you can do that at Brimstone.
I'm not Bashing Brimstone, I buy a year long pass for there every year. I also purchased a year pass to TWRA this year. It would be nice if TN would have one pass for all the places like HMT, but a lot of the TN trails are private property. Finally you just have to know what to expect on TN trails, and as stated a few times, it's much different than HMT.

·
Registered
530 Posts
It would be nice if TN would have one pass for all the places like HMT, but a lot of the TN trails are private property.
That would be ideal. Even if there was no discount.

My real issue with TN is you never know what condition a trail is going to be in. Last time at RRB I was in my old Commander and there were a couple of greens I really struggled with due to the ruts. No idea how an ATV would have made it through. At least HM keeps their trails so that Greens are Greens.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
It would be nice if TN would have one pass for all the places like HMT, but a lot of the TN trails are private property.
That would be ideal. Even if there was no discount.

My real issue with TN is you never know what condition a trail is going to be in. Last time at RRB I was in my old Commander and there were a couple of greens I really struggled with due to the ruts. No idea how an ATV would have made it through. At least HM keeps their trails so that Greens are Greens.
Just walked in the door from getting back from Brimstone for 4 days. I saw a bunch of ATVs and I agree they struggle at Brimstone on some of the trails. I saw a whole group of them stuck on 49. We stick to the tougher trails. You might have seen us

·
Registered
307 Posts
RZR Joe, I did see you! You had the door kit off, or unzipped, but I remember your RZR. I was in an Orange RZR, and with 5 ATV's and one other RZR. We were taking a break when your group rolled by. Did you stay at the Brimstone campground or the Trails end one? We rented a cabin from Trails end. Pretty much a run down house trailer, but it was okay, not great. Did anyone in your group break down? We went by 3 groups with a broken machine. One was a RZR where the A-Arm was broken.
Trials 98 and 89 were closed due to wash out and ruts. We rode a lot of TRWA, rarely saw another rider over there. Did you hit the 23-25 loop over by the river? Great trails over there and we took one of the TRWA loops. 43-44 were really wet, and some ruts, but passable. 107 we tried to get up, but I couldn't get up a rocky stepped part and I knew the ATV's wouldn't get up there either. My 900S has stock tires and suspension. Trail 10 also has one really tough spot. 108 it a tough technical trail. We even cut a new trail around a really bad rutted spot. But once you get to the bottom, or the waterfall its easy to the road. 30, 8, 7, 3 were all in good shape. Trail 5 they have clear cut the entire woods near the bottom, not sure what is going on with that. It was rutted, but not as bad as I was told. Trail 1 never changes. It's level but lots of rocks.
Overall a good 2 day ride. The rain kept the dust to a -0-, but added some challenge to the trails. I was in the RZR both days, and after seeing the 5 ATV's with us struggle, I doubt my Brute Force ever sees Brimstone again. For the ATV's we had one end over end flip and two side roll overs. No one was hurt, and minor damage to the machines. But just a good reminder of why I should be "pimping" it in the RZR.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
We have a toy hauler at always stay at TE. The owners of TE are friends of ours. We rode strictly Brimstone, 5,49,52,51,50,105,85,4,2,98,98A,88,103Y,48, and a few others. We had 3 XPTs and a Turbo X3 in our group. Fortunately no carnage except the X3 broke an axle on one of the large ledges on 49. We thought about running over to Widow Maker on TWRA but with the rain it would have been damn near impossible to climb. Rain kept the dust down and it has a blast as always.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts