Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rockhouse is one of my favorite places to go. Especially if you take the day and ride into Matewan. As far as PC/IR/POC goes, we stay a few places but I will agree on Ashland. It's nice but overpriced. There are cabins down in Bramwell and houses in Kimball we stay at. Although there is ZERO to do around Kimball. I highly, HIGHLY, recommend getting bobt maps. The HM trails are nice but get crowded. There are more outlaw trails in that area that you can really have some fun on and see some great places. Download bobt maps in basecamp or mapsource and take a look. Get those maps loaded in basecamp on your PC and you will spend days looking around. I have them loaded on a tablet and also on a garmin nuvi and we don't even touch the HM trails. If you already have a cabin in Ashland, don't sweat it. Again, it's nice and convenient. There are plenty of people there that you can link up with to show you the outlaws. Try to run up Wagon Wheel, pass PC campground and head out toward beer can alley toward the view. Heck of a fun trail and you can ride the creek bed and play for a good bit. Rebel rock is pretty cool if you've never seen it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Is “The View” a huge, dirt-topped dome of a hill with a 360* view? If so I was there. We ran into an older couple with their grandkids in a couple Yamaha Wolverines. Took us through a creek and up a bunch of unmarked trails to the top of this hill and I’d say the view must have been 60+ miles in every direction.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Is “The View” a huge, dirt-topped dome of a hill with a 360* view? If so I was there. We ran into an older couple with their grandkids in a couple Yamaha Wolverines. Took us through a creek and up a bunch of unmarked trails to the top of this hill and I’d say the view must have been 60+ miles in every direction.

Yep, that’s it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
11 Posts

Yep. Next time you get a chance hit Rebel/Flag rock. It's in the area, kind of the same type of high view but you come off the main "dome", head across to a second location (you can see from where you're at), park your machine and climb some rocks where they have an American flag anchored. It's pretty neat. If you come off WW and head toward the flag rock the ride can be pretty intense in places. Due to some rain we had some steep, soupy climbs along the way. One of the guys in our group was on a bike and it made for quite a few laughs. We're going up wknd of April 26 and staying in Kimball if anyone is riding. I think we're gonna head to War/Welch on Friday and spend Saturday riding the creeks and showing some of the guys the View and Flag. We're at 16-18 ppl so far.

·
Registered
118 Posts
watch trail 20 or 22 iirc on rockhouse. giant boulder just around a tight curve. if it hasnt been removed, it ripped the trailing arm from the frame of my buddies x3xrs, he didnt see it coming around that corner, accelerated, boom. at first we thought he just blew his rear tire, until we went to jack it up and it wasnt going anywhere, thats when we found the trailing arm damage.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sorry to be off-topic, but how is the availability of 91 or 93 octane gas around the Poco/IR/PC trails? Im thinking about running an ECU flash on my 900 and that would require me to use 91+ octane.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sorry to be off-topic, but how is the availability of 91 or 93 octane gas around the Poco/IR/PC trails? Im thinking about running an ECU flash on my 900 and that would require me to use 91+ octane.
I was only down there once, but it seemed to me it depends where you are. There is only one pump at Ashland and it’s 87. Some of the towns have substantial gas stations with mini-marts and Subways and shit, some are far more primitive. I’d probably bring a few can with me to wherever I was staying, top off every morning and any time I came across it in town. We were riding ~80 miles a day and I don’t think I ever got much below a half a tank. I think your 900 has the 9.5 gallon tank, right?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yep, has the 9.5 gal tank. Im thinking about getting a tuner so I could reverse the tune on the spot if I really needed too, but I have a feeling once I "unlock" the 900 engine Im not going to want to go back :D

I see on the websites that the Bramwell outpost and the Mud Pitt sell it near the Pocahontas system/Bramwell, but I have never been around Pineville/Pinnacle Creek to know if it it has any stations.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Im heading down to ashland mid may from the 15th to the 19th. I got a cabin at ashland and taking my 1000xp and also rented a rzr for my 2 girls to use for 2 days. Im planning on mostly easy trails with them. Maybe on the third day ill get on some black trails.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Zonk,

I rode Bear Wallow and Buffalo over the weekend. On Buffalo, it connects to Devils Anse and you can ride that all the way to Rockhouse. Going there an back is close to 100 miles round trip depending on where you start. You can do that one day and ride Buffalo the 2nd day. Bear Wallow you can cover easily in a day, but if you have the outlaw trails on a GPS or Tablet you can ride a lot more. I'll be in Mullins riding Indian Ridge/Pinnacle/Pocahontas on May 2-3-4.

·
Registered
224 Posts
How are the trails in the Poca/IR/PC area with all the rain we've had lately? Are they rutted out badly? Deep mud? Will be heading down in 2 weeks with family and my father in full tourist mode. I don't have a winch and my father will be in a rented RZR and my daughter likely on a 2wd quad, so we'll be sticking mostly to easier Green/Blue trails but curious if there are any trails/areas we should avoid. Would also like to try some of the outlaws if possible, but again, have to keep the risk pretty low. I do have a Samsung 10" tablet with BobT's latest maps.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Was at PC Saturday and trails were fine. A bit dusty in places, but otherwise fine. Areas of PO and IR are closed, so make sure you get a paper map from the TH or print one from trailsheaven.com.

As for outlaws, you need to be careful. Mines are reopening and several of the popular outlaw trails are now off limits. The most popular spot, The View, will be closed soon, but not sure when. I have heard any day now and June. So it may be one of those things you just have to wait and see. There were close to 50 machines up there Saturday. And a marriage proposal. :)

Also DNR is out on the trails. Some guy posted bitching on one of the FB pages that he got a ticket and is never coming back. Well, he rode up on an officer with his helmet off, so he deserved a ticket. I think he caught a break because his wife wasn't cited as well. So just follow the rules and have a good time.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Was at PC Saturday and trails were fine. A bit dusty in places, but otherwise fine. Areas of PO and IR are closed, so make sure you get a paper map from the TH or print one from trailsheaven.com.

As for outlaws, you need to be careful. Mines are reopening and several of the popular outlaw trails are now off limits. The most popular spot, The View, will be closed soon, but not sure when. I have heard any day now and June. So it may be one of those things you just have to wait and see. There were close to 50 machines up there Saturday. And a marriage proposal. :)

Also DNR is out on the trails. Some guy posted bitching on one of the FB pages that he got a ticket and is never coming back. Well, he rode up on an officer with his helmet off, so he deserved a ticket. I think he caught a break because his wife wasn't cited as well. So just follow the rules and have a good time.
Good info, thanks. We're staying in Mullens the first weekend in May and will ride Pinnacle and probably head down to Indian Ridge. I'm on that FB page too. Honestly HMT trails have been really out of control over the last few years. There is no wonder there is some cracking down out there. If you want to go to lawless trails, try Brimstone, it's private property. It's a lot rougher than HMT. I'm actually supposed to be heading there this weekend. But I took a tumble off my ATV at TWRA last weekend and hopefully I'll be mended up to go this weekend. TWRA was in okay shape, the bulldozers were out doing some maintenance. But honestly I'm not taking my Brute Force back to TN probably ever. I'll stick with my RZR. At 51 years old I have to start looking at my long term health vs. short term fun on a ATV.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks guys, Im not too worried about dust. Mostly just deep ruts, heavy mud, washouts, etc... Things that would be difficult for my father and/or daughter to navigate, plus things to get hung up and possibly damage my RZR. We're just wanting to ride and enjoy the trails, not test our driving skillz :D

I joined that Facebook page too and have been following the closings and crackdown. But Im pretty low risk, especially with my wife and kids in the car with me. I see nothing wrong with getting a ticket for no helmet. Its the rules, they run the trails, they make the rules. Having anywhere decent to ride on the east coast is a privilege, not a right.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks guys, Im not too worried about dust. Mostly just deep ruts, heavy mud, washouts, etc... Things that would be difficult for my father and/or daughter to navigate, plus things to get hung up and possibly damage my RZR. We're just wanting to ride and enjoy the trails, not test our driving skillz :D

I joined that Facebook page too and have been following the closings and crackdown. But Im pretty low risk, especially with my wife and kids in the car with me. I see nothing wrong with getting a ticket for no helmet. Its the rules, they run the trails, they make the rules. Having anywhere decent to ride on the east coast is a privilege, not a right.
You will love HMT then. Brimstone is full of deep ruts, wash outs, deep mud, and tough trails. A few years ago trial 5 on Brimstone was a blue, now it's a red and very difficult. They just don't have the rock base down there like they do in WV. I would suggest you get googles for everyone in your ride. Otherwise the dust will annoy your eyes. The windshield is no help when it comes to the dust. Pray for some rain the night before!!
Have a good trip.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I've been riding Brimstone for close to ten years and I'm wondering where the deep ruts and mud are located. There are some trails with mud but very few. There is everything from easy to difficult. Trail 5 is still easy and we use it as a connector to get to the difficult trails. Sorry but Brimstone and Windrock put HMT trailsystem to shame. But then again I don't like riding dusty gravel logging roads.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts