Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the dunes and the xp is hard to start,It will not start at all if you dont use the gas ped. The motor has not been dusted. So far i charged the battery,new aircleaner,checked coil,checked spark,put in new plugs,checked fuel at the rail and the fuel pump,fuel press test 43-44psi, started checking wireing conections, If you get it started and it warms up a little it runs great idles right power is just like the day i picked it up. You can turn it off and it starts great i dont get it. Is there something i should be checking? i can take it to the shop but i like to try and figure it out it is a three hour trip to take it in and there is a waiting list at the dealer.Any help would be great. I am used to the 800s and how to fix them but this is a completely diff animal. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Not totally confident on this answer BUT.. Valve clearance. If they were done wrong initially and than "broke In" they would tighten up and cause your issue.. Just fixed a Teryx doing the same thing.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Hi Mike. Did it happen all of a sudden, or gradually over a day or two? I would start out with a cold engine, clean the air intake area well, pull the AF, try cranking it. See if you hear anything unusual in the air box. Like an intake valve(s) not closing properly.
Then add an ounce of gas in the intake, and see if it fires instantly. If it does, that would lead you towards a lean fuel at start up condition, and eliminate an ignition problem.
On the 800, if the TBAP (a cheap alternative to a MAS) gets dirty, it makes for a hard start condition when cold. I believe the 900 motor uses similar technology.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All of a sudden left the rzrs in the inclosed overnight. was going to get them out next day wash them and service them. I pulled the plugs and put a small amount of gas in each hole fired right up. dang i would like to go somewere for tday. What is crazy is once it is fired up and warms up a little runs like a champ shut it off starts right up and idles great

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should explain, I pulled the plug to compare spark to another xp, its good shot a little b gas mild starting fluid in the t/b and it started, turned it off went to start it and same issue.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I used to own an 800 and it seemed like there was filter on the idle control valve that got plugged up. I had the exact same issues and the guy at the dealer took about 20 minutes to sort it out.

H

·
0 Posts
Just confirming you in fact did replace the plugs with new plugs? I know first post says replaced plugs..but then there's another post about comparing the plugs to another XP and there good. Just asking because I've seen plugs "look" good on XPs having similar problems and when the plugs were replaced the problem was gone.
Are you getting a check engine light?
What altitude are you at?

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, I seem to be having this same issue... did you ever find what the problem was? Does anyone have any other idea's? I am heading out on a long trip this weekend and this just started last week... any help would be great

·
Sand Slinger
1,264 Posts
Old thread, but did you ever figure out the issue? I am having same problem. Thx

Sent from my iPad since I'm not out riding

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing. Got very hard to start after sitting over night. I had 3 intake valves that were a couple thousanths too tight. Adjusted and It has been flawless ever since.

·
Sand Slinger
1,264 Posts
Planning on a valve adjustment this weekend. Will post results. Thx

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Please post your results. I having the exact same issue. Runs great after it warms up for a few seconds.

Does it cause severe damage to run it with tight valves? I can't tear it down till after the next trip.

·
Sand Slinger
1,264 Posts
Please post your results. I having the exact same issue. Runs great after it warms up for a few seconds.

Does it cause severe damage to run it with tight valves? I can't tear it down till after the next trip.
Will do. I have 2 or 3 weekends on mine since it starting acting up. No signs of issue, but didn't want to push my luck. I would imagine that you could run the risk of burning a valve.

·
Sand Slinger
1,264 Posts

All the intake valves were tight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having the same problem even after valve adjustment, new battery, starter and starter drive gears, it will sneeze threw the intake, back fire and even throw back on the starter like the timing is advanced to far. Need Help 2012 XP 900

1 - 20 of 26 Posts