Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a few months now my 2010 S has been getting harder to start. Its cranking longer and longer before starting, then when it does start I have to idle it up or it will stall. It used to run fine when it was warmed up but now even when its warm it starts to lope and will some times stall. Off idle it runs fine all day long and it doesn't seem to be down on power either, it runs fine at WOT too. I hauled it to Lake Tahoe this weekend and it cranked so long on sunday I didnt think it was going to start. The air filter has two rides on it, checked it anyway and it looked fine. Installed new NGK BKR7EIX spark plugs last week and rode around my house a little, made no difference. My machine has about 1500 miles on it. Sugestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
What did the old plugs look like.? sounds like it's starving for fuel.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I was home I'd take a picture. I glanced at them when I pulled them out and nothing looked abnormal but I cant drscribe them from memory. If it was starving for fuel wouldn't fall on its face at WOT?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Real quick test pull air cleaner give it a shot of starting fluid, see if it fires up.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
I'm having the same issues. So I bought an Airtex E8335 fuel pump, a tube of ChemFlex #2 and printed out instructions from two places on the forum and keep them with me.

I have read that people use a test set up to check the fuel pump pressure, but I haven't put enough time into it to figure out what the test set up would be and where it would connect.

Figure hauling a $69 extra pump, sealant and instructions along will get me by if it totally fails.

Anybody with pics of a test set up?

Thanks,

Pirate

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If anybody still cares, I fixed it. I installed a new Oddessy battery and the Airtex E8335 pump and that took care of my problems - runs fine now. Thank you rzrforum!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Ben,

Just asking, did you do any testing to see which was the problem? Say, installing the new fuel pump and checking for the problem with the previous battery?

I installed a TruGel battery in March so I've got that covered. Having hard starting problems, just have to crank a few seconds, let up, crank for a few seconds, let up, and on the third try it will start. So I'm wondering if that isn't a sign that its the pump starting to weaken?

Guess I'll change it out this winter.

Pirate

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My thinking was that my battery was weak and the weak battery was dragging down my voltage which inturn was giving me low fuel pressure so i replaced the battery first. The new battery helped but did not cure the problem which really made supect I had a bad fuel pump and then I found this thread http://www.rzrforums.net/engine-drivetrain/28377-changing-fuel-pump.html and that made me prety sure it was a fuel pump issue and when I found a fuel pump at rock auto for only $63 I fugured, what the hell, I'll replace the fuel pump. And the new fuel pump fixed the problem. The fuel pump is easy to replace - a little tricky to get it out of the sending unit - but if you own a basic set of hand tools you should be able to replace it yourself without any problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts